Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hunter Cadre newly staffed and equipped. Needs spec for 1000pts.
Closed Thread
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hunter Cadre newly staffed and equipped. Needs spec for 1000pts.

Hello all,

OK, after a fruitful Christmas and Birthday my freshly minted Tau army is about at the 1000 point range. I'll tell you what models I have and how I was thinking of spec'ing them out to field a 1K pt. army (typically vs. Chaos, Necrons, 'Nids, and Guard - and someday soon, Orks). Suggestions are most welcome.

Inventory:
1x Ethereal
2x Crisis suits
6x Stealth suits
24x Fire Warriors
10x Gun Drones (2x w/ DF)
1x DevilFish
1x Hammerhead

Current Spec:

HQ: 135pts
Ethereal [50]
Shas'el (MP MT PR) [85]

Troops: 340pts
12 Firewarriors in Devilfish (DL MT TA) [220]
12 Firewarrios [120]

Elite: 263pts
6 Stealth Suits [180]
1 Crisis Battlesuit (HWMT MP TLPR TmLd) [83]

Fast: 96pts
8 Gun Drones [96]

Heavy: 165pts
Hammerhead Gunship (DL MT RG 2BC) [165]

Total: All 45 models used @ 999pts

So, the 2 questions are:
1) How would you distribute the upgrades and options with THESE models?
2) Which models would you pick up to take the army to 1500? (And respec the 1K from the additions.)
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Hunter Cadre newly staffed and equipped. Needs spec for 1000pts.

for the 1500 point army take another squad of fw's, definitely some kroot, and perhaps a broadside or two or some crisis.

For your list, I'd drop the ethereal at least until you get 1500 points; at that stage you have enough tau for his ld effect to really take hold, and for him to remain safely esconed within your lines. 1000 points doesn't give him enough protection, IMO.

For the hh, take a target lock. that extra 5pts goes a mile....

Otherwise, great list! nicely balanced and everything.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

well there really isnt much you can do to that list with the models you have, but I'd drop the Etheral and static FW for a 20 man kroot squad or 16 man and some hoinds as the points dont exactly equal.

and to go up to 1500, 2 HH and another kroot squad is my opinions, but I've been very influenced by Mecha Tau ATM, and I'm itching to try out the new theorum presented as they offer a great deal more flexibility.

using large mobs of kroot as anchors and running tanks around that for a strike force, quite innovative and much better than conventional IMO.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Shas lyn:

Welcome to the boards

As for your list, it's got what it needs, but it's missing a few things:

I'm a fan of the Ethereal, but I'm not one to protect mine. However, I do have guidelines for use of one that I'll share--Take an Ethereal when you have a lot of "Tau" units that will use him, regardless of the points. If you are playing 750 point games, and you have 48 firewarriors, it's a good idea to take an Ethereal. If you're playing 1000 points and you have 24 firewarriors, and a handful of suits, the Ethereal isn't going to help much. So when you get a few more firewarriors (36) and more suits, then think about taking the Ethereal to have a good steadfast force, since you're not mounted up completely. Otherwise, in this case, I'd leave him out for now.

Your Shas'el is perfect.

Your troops are lacking the critical Shas'ui upgrade. Even the Ethereal won't aid drastically when you start making checks on ld6 due to busted ranks. The shas'ui upgrades are buffers that are well worth it just for that boost of leadership. Also, your devifish does not need multi-trackers and targeting arrays. Those are best used on Hammerheads. The targeting array is only an attractive choice in much larger games (2000+ where you have 4 devilfish, for example). Use these points instead to pick up those Shas'ui upgrades in these two squads.

Your stealth team is solid.

Your crisis needs to be toned down. He costs almost as much as your Shas'el, but isn't as good. Suits work best when they're minimal so they can easily get their points back within a few rounds of shooting. Take him as he is, but don't bother with the twin-linked weapons unless you're ready to dedicate. You won't need to take team leader upgrades, hard-wired gear, etc. You can save almost 20 points here.

Your gundrones are a solid fast attack choice.

Your Hammerhead is solid.

Overall, you can save roughly 85 points. This could easily be a broadside to increase your AT power, or it could be another crisis suit. Or it could be a small squad of Kroot. Or it could be your 2nd Devilfish. Lots of options. More units are generally better than a bunch of really upgraded ones.

Good luck and welcome to the Greater Good
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Etherals are large risks as everyone knows and they can really only be proprely protected in 2k IMO, add to that Your army is only a few steps away from mecha and you really dont want that Etheral, but the Shas'ui is neccecary yes.

with the Mecha lists shifting more toward kroot nowadays as people realise their tremendous potential and the fact that they are the real troops of Mecha Tau, I see less and less of a future for the poor old etheral.
go here
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you, Khaldun
I was wondering about the ethereal, but I had the points and it was my last unused unit. Understandibly, having an ethereal in the list comes with inherent danger (price of failure), so a simple 'Why not? I have the points.' can be dangerous. However, dropping the ethereal and adding TL to the HH still leaves me with 46 unused points. If I had more drones, I'd give them to the Stealth team - taking up 27 of those last 46. As it stands, I can either upgrade the 'el to an 'o, add Shas'ui, and/or bond the firewarriors.

I've never had points to burn in a list before.

And Dizzy, I figured I would probably add at least one more HH and perhaps a Fish for FoF and HoF options. I'm undecided when it comes to kroot. There are lots of them, and they do OK if they stay in cover. Too bad the darn box only comes with 16. I guess I'll have to buy a sprue of 4 or something.

MalVeauX, Thanks for the bit about the Shas'ui. I'll make sure to do that. I also appreciate the effeciency advice about trimming points here and there, however at this very point in time I have no more models to use to take advantage of all those newly freed-up points. I supposed if I trimmed enough I could have a very lean and efficient 750 point army (which is actually looking like a much better idea, I suppose). Or, I could just see how well a 900 point Tau army stacks up against my friends' 1000pt lists.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

you dont have to order a sprue, you can buy 2 packs of hounds, they are fine replacements for those that dont feel like mailorder, and the special rules sometmes come in handy.... ish :P
go here
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:14   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

try fire and movvement tactics support your infantry w/ devilfishes to relocate and find better choke points on the map
and the god we once believed in,
the butcher and his crown
raped the land we used to sleep in,
and tomorrow chimes the ghostly crimes
that haunt tobacco island."
~Flogging Molly, Tobacco Island

www.floggingmolly.com
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought about hounds. I think that's what GW intended when they made the kroot boxes and hound blisters. Still, I'm not sure if I like the trade-off of the 'assault-only' hounds vs. the extra 4 'bolter' shots. They are 1 point cheaper and have that extra 'I', but still...

The 'Mecha' side of the equation seems pretty straight-forward. These kroot are a whole different matter.

So... Getting back to the original topic... Should I scrap trying to field a 1000pt list with what I have and just trim to 750, or do you think I have a chance running with overly-upgraded units just to use up the rest of my points?
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

with the points left from the ethereal, you could give your suits the gun drone option

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread