Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespid, I really don't know how to use them....
Old 28 May 2007, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vespid, I really don't know how to use them....

I have been playing tau for a good 4 years ago and ever since the release of the new codex i really haven't seen the use of vespids. sure their guns are great with such a low AP and a high strength, but their save is horrible. i mean i tried using them once and my brothers assault squad killed them all with bolt pistols for crying out loud. they can move far, but what good is it if they just fall over and die? if anyone has used them well please tell me what to do.
Old 28 May 2007, 11:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Vespid, I really don't know how to use them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Rael
I have been playing tau for a good 4 years ago and ever since the release of the new codex i really haven't seen the use of vespids. sure their guns are great with such a low AP and a high strength, but their save is horrible. i mean i tried using them once and my brothers assault squad killed them all with bolt pistols for crying out loud. they can move far, but what good is it if they just fall over and die? if anyone has used them well please tell me what to do.
Use cover. Aside from that, there isn't really much you can do, I'm afraid. I prefer to minimize the number of dice rolls I make, so I wouldn't put too much on fleeting to get close. Just make sure you get the first shot.

Personally, however, I'd use either Sniper Drones or an Ionhead (or both) for taking out heavy infantry like that...

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 12:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

on weird tactic with them is to use them in conjunction with kroot. Have the kroot be in front, about 9" away from the enemy, and in cover. Vespids jump in behind them, and since they have skilled rider, I'd actually be suprised if one died. Shoot everything at said marine squad. The kroot will probably get charged by something, and will hopefully hold. Then jump the vespids over the combat, and charge in. They strike first at I 5, because units already egaged in CC do not get to strike first for being in cover when charged. Kind of weird, but hey...

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 12:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You may or may not actually be doing this, but don't charge them accross the field at him. "Short ranged" does not nesscesarily mean "move forward until you get in range". I made that mistake with Kroot when I was first starting. Hide them behind something else in your army (preferably in cover) and wait for the enemy to come to you. Only when the Assault Squad you mentioned comes closer do you pounce. When you do, make sure you back them up with enough firepower so they won't get creamed next turn. Often, the threat of an attack by Vespid is more detrimental to the opponent then any damage they do.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 14:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I found the perfect solution.

I traded them off. =)

In all seriousness, they're an expensive unit, and they're highly fragile. I don't really like the combination of all that with a horribly short range. The only person at my local bunker who has and uses vespid is the new tau player, as the rest of us pawned the squishy buggers off on him cheap. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 15:31   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They can be useful you jst have to be patient. It seems in most cases when you play Tua you have to be patient. Use their "Fleet" to move them up in cover and wait. Use their strenghts, "Fleet", SM Killing weapons, and 5 I.

I like to put the Vespids on one side of the table and a Kroot squad on the other side of the table and kinda make a bottle neck. I prefer to do this with two Kroot Squads but Vespids can some good damage. They are a bit pricy but if you can shoot up a squad of SM or any other Army for that matter, the pay off will be very rewarding.

I usually don't play my Vespid in smaller point games, but every once in a while I will to throw off my oponent.
Good Luck!!
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

yer apart from that and they look good id say sniper team, i use them now and then for VP (big points cost) and hide them behind cover but apart from that i wouldnt bother tbh.

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 22:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agh! Horrible grammar is painful to the eyes.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 22:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i HAte peoples wh ouse bad brammers.

Back on topic, only time I've seen Vespids used, I destroyed a unit of 6 with one submunitions shot.
Old 28 May 2007, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Agh! Horrible grammar is painful to the eyes.
Don't say just that, actually add something to the thread, please.

In my opinion, Vespid are something I would never use because of the expense and sorta unfittingness to the rest of my army (or "the army" in general).

However, if you really want to use them in your army, I would use the tactic that brightsword24 suggested, as it seems rather viable to me.