Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rate my HQ w/Bodyguard Config
Old 27 May 2007, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Rate my HQ w/Bodyguard Config

Hey all.* I just wanted you to look over my HQ w/Bodyguard configuration.* It's mainly for infantry smashing, of all types, but it can also smash all but the heaviest of vehicles (by heaviest, I mean Monolith, of course...damn Monoliths and your...your..."special armor"...::grumble grumble:.* Anywho, I'll give comments after each of the suits detailing why I did what I did; please give me some feedback though, this is my first real Crisis config in some time.

HQ 1:
Commander: Shas'el, Burst Cannon, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Targeting Array, Targeting
* * * * * Array, H-W Multitracker, Stimulant Injector
CO Subtotal: 98
[size=7pt]Mostly anti-GEq, but with the CIB, is [randomly] capable of taking down any type of infantry.* AP4 on the CIB also makes it great versus Genestealers and some of the Aspect Warriors of the Eldar, which is sweet (we have but 2 AP4 weapons in our inventory, which admitedly more than most, but both are hard to use properly.).* Burst Cannon supplements the CIB.* Targeting Array for BS5, to get the max number of shots on-target, Multitracker to fire both weapons, Stimulant Injector so that when everyone else gets killed, he can start ignoring some wounds till he gets his IC status back.[/size]
Bodyguard: Shas'vre, Fusion Blaster, T-L Plasma Rifle, H-W Drone Controller
* * * * * w/2 Shield Drones, H-W Blacksun Filter, H-W Multitracker, H-W Target Lock
* * * * * * * * ** Shas'vre, Fusion Blaster, T-L Plasma Rifle, H-W Drone Controller
* * * * * w/2 Shield Drones, H-W Blacksun Filter, H-W Multitracker, H-W Target Lock
Bodyguard Subtotal:240
[size=7pt]The body guards are multi-role fighters.* Each have a Fusion Blaster, so that between the two of them, one should hit, hopefully doing some damage; with the Shield Drones, I plan on getting close enough to use the Melta rule.* T-L Plasma is accurate, and adds invaluable AP2 firepower, that can take down just about anything, including most transports, should the need arise.* Shield Drones are to keep the team safe, in case I don't get cover how I want (which often happens) and they also supply ablative wounds.* Anyway, the SD make this unit one tough nut to crack, if my Broadsides are any indication.* Blacksun filters for the occasional Night Fight scenario, since this setup would be part of my all-comers list.* Multitracker for obvious reasons (mostly for Monstrous Creatures, but also as redundancy if a transport MUST go down).* Target Locks on the two bodyguards let each suit shoot at a different target, if needed; I think this will be especially handy if I get close to enemy lines.[/size]
Total: 338
Thanks for any help you can give.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Rate my HQ w/Bodyguard Config

Bodyguards 1) make you lose IC status, 2) cost more points than regular suits for no real benefits.

No bodyguards means your HQ doesnt need drones and he can chill.

Make the other two a regular crisis team. Ditch the sheild drones, as long as you have cover you dont need them.
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

why is the missile pod (our other AP 4 weapon) hard to use...? I just won a tournament yesterday with 6 of them...

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 01:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
why is the missile pod (our other AP 4 weapon) hard to use...? I just won a tournament yesterday with 6 of them...

Cheers!
Wow, how could I forget the Missile Pod...damn, I feel like a fool now...heh. Seriously, I don't know how the hell I missed that...I still think I prefer the CIB for troops smashing though, lots more shots, though lower strength. Apparently getting that AP1 sometimes is pretty handy also, as I've been reading across the boards, so I want to test it out.

I used the Bodyguard because that's the only way to Hardwire all that stuff AND still get the Shield Drones.

My gaming group plays with random terrain, so I rarely get terrain good enough to JSJ all the time, thus I rely on Shield Drones. I would go with another two-man Crisis Team, but having them with only two SD sucks when you have to take a Ld test with every loss you take.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 11:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

with the value of keeping him alive id go for a shas'o all the time. and having 4 sheild drones will keep him alive longer.
good idea.
you dont need the blacksun filters unless night fighting rules are in play.

7/10

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 12:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

random terrain is stupid... makes for a lack of tactics when it scatters to the sides :
Shield drones are useful with this makeup, especially when you are close and personal, like you army seems to be.

Cheers!

P.S. submunition round is also AP 4
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 13:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple
Bodyguards 1) make you lose IC status, 2) cost more points than regular suits for no real benefits.

No bodyguards means your HQ doesnt need drones and he can chill.

Make the other two a regular crisis team. Ditch the sheild drones, as long as you have cover you dont need them.
No real benefits? I call the 4 "ablative wounds" of the bodyguards a REAL benefit- Keeps the unit going for longer. Add in the shield drones, and these guys can shrug off most incoming fire for awhile.

AND I'd rather rely on drones than cover- my local opponents seem just a tad TOO fond of flamers for my tastes- Especially the IG player with two Hellhounds...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 20:12   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

He still can't shoot at you AT ALL as long as you're behind terrain. Furthermore, as long as you have IC status on your commander, and you're behind a regular crisis suit squad or firewarriors squad or ANY squad you CANT be shot at EVER. Taking bodyguards means your opponent CAN shoot at you had has a chance of killing your commander when this would normally not be possible.

Why don't you make one of the bodyguards another commander (this only costs you what? 15 points? for BS and a wound.) then you don't need sheild drones as you have IC status (saves you points.)

Then the remaining suit can be a team leader, cost 5 points less, and still get the same stuff. Then since you have 3 different units you no longer need to pay for the target locks. Those points will get you the 15 for the commander upgrade, and you SAVE points for not having to buy 2 sheild drones.

To recap - you'd gain extra bs and wound on a suit, pay less points, and have two 'invisible' suits that can't be shot at as long as they're behind one of your units.

Further more, if you have to engage different types of units on diffent sides of the board (say the MEQ grey knights on the right, an advancing rough rider squad on the left) you can do that because you dont have to stay together.

Unless you want to have LOTS of crisis suits, or deepstrike your commander, or feel like spending a whole lot of points in hardwired stuff, bodyguards are worthless.
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 22:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

im sorry but every one goes nuts over the IC status. i know its super effective. but this unit has 11wounds befor you kill the comander. four 4+ invulnerable saves then the rest at 3+ i think against anything this unit could take a licking and keep fighting back.

IMO the IC status is useless when you can think of what you could do with a moblie unit like a hellios team for example.

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasO Venom
im sorry but every one goes nuts over the IC status. i know its super effective. but this unit has 11wounds befor you kill the comander. four 4+ invulnerable saves then the rest at 3+ i think against anything this unit could take a licking and keep fighting back.

IMO the IC status is useless when you can think of what you could do with a moblie unit like a hellios team for example.

Venom!!
Aye, Venom. I keep reading about people singing the praises of ICs, but give me a good bodyguard and drones. Lurking doesn't seem to fit my philosophy of playing, as I'd like to see my Shas'O taking the battle to the enemy, blowing up his elite units and tanks- leading the FWs by example.

But everyone is entitled to an opinion, which makes this forum one of the best out there.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote