Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Smart Missile Systems And Cover
Old 27 May 2007, 05:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Smart Missile Systems And Cover

Do SMS Negate Cover? The rulebook says Cover is determined if the firers LOS crosses over cover blocks the models... but since SMS don't need LOS, do they negate cover?
Jarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 06:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Smart Missile Systems And Cover

The common sense answer here is no.
but RAW (rules as written) might say otherwise.

If the target happens to be in cover, then it's a moot point, as any line of fire will cross cover.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Ravager is right. Because of the way that the SMS intelligently diverts around obstacles, the only time the target recieves a cover save is if they are in area cover (like forests, rubble, etc).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unfortunately the Target gets to use the benefits of cover if he/she is between the you the firer.
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well cover does represent the ability to see an attack coming and dive behind something at the last minute. Hence a cover save should be taken. No need of LOS to me means that it passes over/around an obstacle, but not intelligent homing enough to single out that one man through a window. The missile hits the window and hopes to kill him.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Read your codex people (pg.27) the SMS entry quite clearly states when a unit gets it's cover save, and when they don't.
Old 28 May 2007, 21:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's only when they are in area terrain like forests or things that shoot spores that kill you almost instantly.

If they are behind a wall they don't get a save and they can get shoot a by SMS and they can't get a cover and you can shoot.

If the target is behind a forest 7" you can shoot at them any ways even though usually you can't see them. ( but your rail guns can't)

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 05:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater good or bust.
If they are behind a wall they don't get a save and they can get shoot a by SMS and they can't get a cover and you can shoot.
Wrong, read your codex. Models get a cover save it thier in area terrain, or if thier touching any type of cover that is between them and the SMS firerer.
Old 29 May 2007, 17:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Orange has the right of it. If there is a wall between the SMS and the target, and the target is touching the wall, the target receives a cover save. This really is very clear in the Codex.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The way I interpret the rule is that the missil can be fired at target even if they are not visible from the firerer. If the target is in erea terrain that give a cover save, than the target is allowed a save. The missil is just flying around obstacle blocking line of sight.