Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Possible FoF Variant
Old 27 May 2007, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Possible FoF Variant

Okay, I've been thinking recently about how the FoF fury could be improved against shooting, and was looking at the wargear section of my 'dex when it struck me.

Sensor Spines.

And this where it all gets very nasty, for your opponent anyway. On your 'fish, have sensor spines. Move the 'fish in to a terrain piece (the spines allow you to do that) and deploy the Fire Warriors/Pathfinders inside. As disembarking is a special kind of move it won't be impeded by terrain, and so will allow you to set up your troops in whatever fashion you prefer for FoF. From this point on it's just like a normal FoF, until your opponent tries to take revenge.

Your 'fish could be either going fast, obscured, or too deep in cover to be hit, while all your troops that were in it will now have a tasty cover save, for all those Heavy Bolter/Assault Cannon/Missile/Autocannon/Venom Cannon shots heading at them. This tactic also has the advantage of you being in difficult terrain, meaning it's even harder for enemy assaulters to reach you.

All these bonuses, just from spending a mere 10 pts on vehicle wargear. If you generally use a fair amount of terrain, or have an enemy who loves placing his boys behind terrain, I would recommend this just for sheer shock value. I mean, who expects to see a huge skimmer moving stealthily through the jungle behind them?

Feel free to dissect, rip apart and criticise this tactic.
Any feedback is good feedback imo. ;D

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Possible FoF Variant

Wow. Good Job. ;D I'm surprised I didn't see that.

And when it gets really annoying: When you drive into the fortified motor pool. With a warfish. > I propose heavy usage in the campaign! Make a sig-thing! ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 11:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Even better if the fish lets off the FW with impassable terrain facing the enemy-Only lictors or models with the equivalent of fleshhooks can reach you, while other enemies will have to slog around the imp. terrain to get at your boys, all the while taking fire from your troops...

This is a tactic that Eldar and Marines know well- the transport rush to cover.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 11:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

In non-CoD battles, you can do this WITHOUT buying the Sensor Spines - nothing in the rule book permits a "hovering" anti-grav tank from deploying its troops over the piece of terrain it is placed. Useful for CoD, though, to bring your troops without dangerous terrain tests into ruins.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 17:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Another option would be to park a Devilfish in an area which is very thin so enemies can't get past it.
Tau Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 09:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
In non-CoD battles, you can do this WITHOUT buying the Sensor Spines - nothing in the rule book permits a "hovering" anti-grav tank from deploying its troops over the piece of terrain it is placed. Useful for CoD, though, to bring your troops without dangerous terrain tests into ruins.
yeah... you could always do this, but the main problem is that most enemy units that you would be FOFing, like lone devastator squads, are in said cover, thus more likely to be in charge range. A different variant, however, would be to tank shock said unit, and if it works, deploy the fire warriors and blaze away.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 12:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
yeah... you could always do this, but the main problem is that most enemy units that you would be FOFing, like lone devastator squads, are in said cover, thus more likely to be in charge range. A different variant, however, would be to tank shock said unit, and if it works, deploy the fire warriors and blaze away.

Cheers!
Do tank shock checks come before movement or assault?
Old 30 May 2007, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelblitz
Do tank shock checks come before movement or assault?
They are done during your movement phase.

One idea I had for a variant on the FOF. Tankshock the enemy (thus causing one moral check), Use the DF drones to try a pinning test (hopefully another moral check for pinning), then unload with a mixed squad of FW's (carbines and pulse rifles) hopefully you can try to cause another pinning check, and a moral check for 25% casualties. If you can get up to 4 LD checks on that unit, they'll eventually fail one of them. Unfortunately this tactic is completely useless against my main foes 'Nids and Khorne :'( (stupid fearless). But seeing as you only need one mounted unit of FW's to pull it off, think how bad 2 would be since people usuallly run them in duo's.