Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Props to the Kroot
Old 26 May 2007, 15:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Props to the Kroot

I am a fairly new 40K player, (less than a year) but Yesterday was an eye waking experience for me and the Kroot. We were playing a big three team game. 4000 points per team, (yes the game was a long one). Before the first move I infilitrated 20 Kroot in the trees near my oponent, (SM). I wasn't in range of any troops at the time, but should be the next turn so I waited it out. No one could fire at me because I was further than 6" into the woods.
My second turn came around, I moved all of my Kroot a few inches so I could shoot 2 shots at 12" and began my shooting spree. I was able to shoot 40 shots into a devestator squad and took out the entire 8 man sqaud.
On my openants next term, he decided it was a good idea to try and assault my kroot in the trees with a 10 Man Termy Squad. Well he quickly realized what a mistake that was. I had the higher inititive and ended up killing all but one Termy, (Thanks to the dice God, I was rolling pretty good).
It was funny to see that after my Kroot did so much damage the first two turns, nobody went near the Kroot invested forrest.
What was so interesting was everyone had to change there strategies in the first move because of one squad worth a total of 140 points.
I am a believer of the Kroot that is for sure.
So a few questions:
On 2000 points are more are there any of you out there that will field 2 Kroot squads? How many Kroot per squad is the right number? How effective are the Krootox?

brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Props to the Kroot

Glad to see our allies doing so well. I've never done a 2000 point game, right now my max has been 1500. I only have twenty Kroot painted up, and I use all of them, in squads of ten, whenever I can, no matter the game size. I have ten more Kroot, and when they are done, I'm sure they'll be added to my army roster.

I haven't used a Krootox yet, but I was thinking of one, for the squad that protects my broadsides. They get tied up by scarabs a lot, and the Krootox would be great at insta killing them.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 22:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

In 2000 points I field 2 squads of 10 kroot with shapers for the soul purpose that I don't have the points for any more of them . I usually use them to protect my broadsides/fire warriors on foot. Unfortunately, due to some vacuum/fatcat/badpaintjob related incidents I now only have 4 kroot and a krootox in working condition.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 22:46   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Funny, I had a similar experience with my kroot as well.

Last battle, I was facing necrons at 1000 points and I had also infiltrated a unit of 12 Kroot in some ruins (there weren't any forests on the board). The necrons came marching forward in the first turn and I was able to shoot back and move my kroot forward a bit. I didn't kill any necrons with that volley, but I saved a lot of my kroot when the return fire came my way in his second turn. In my second turn I had a phenomenal stroke of luck and I moved my kroot 6 inch out of terrain and fired off 24 shots knocking down 2 or 3 warriors. When I charged in the assault phase, the 36 attacks that I got downed somewhere around 6 or 7 of them and I won the combat with an enormous difference.

The Kroot died on the next turn due to immortal fire, but trading a unit that's worth 87 points versus a unit of 12 necron warriors (plus the 2 rounds of fire he had to spend on them) was really the event that turned the battle around.

Kroot are really amazing for their points. Even when there are no forests!

Cheers,
Bodacious.
Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious
In my second turn I had a phenomenal stroke of luck and I moved my kroot 6 inch out of terrain and fired off 24 shots knocking down 2 or 3 warriors. When I charged in the assault phase, the 36 attacks that I got downed somewhere around 6 or 7 of them and I won the combat with an enormous difference.
That's illegal. Kroot rifles are rapid fire weapons, meaning that you can assault or shoot, but not both. Additionally, you may only fire 2 shots at 12" when the unit has not moved that turn.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
That's illegal. Kroot rifles are rapid fire weapons, meaning that you can assault or shoot, but not both.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
Additionally, you may only fire 2 shots at 12" when the unit has not moved that turn.
Wrong, that's 3rd Ed. 4th Ed. allows you to fire two shots at 12" regardless of whether you have moved or not.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So what about Krootox, I don't ever read any posts about Krootox. I know they have a 48" range weapon and extra attacks in cc, but are they worth the 35 points?
I have gamed with them twice and both times I haven't been too impressed. Just want to get your feegback?

And you can move 6" and fire twice at anything within 12".
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 03:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsword24
So a few questions:
On 2000 points are more are there any of you out there that will field 2 Kroot squads? How many Kroot per squad is the right number? How effective are the Krootox?
heck, i play a whole army of them (kroot mercs) and i never sell them short!

commander farsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 03:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kroot are great for holding terrain and placing to keep back infiltrators. They also work for counter charge units to place behind FWs and when they are charged the Kroot can run up and fight their fight. They also work well with stealth suits for advanced fighters and big and frightening speed bumps.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 03:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Good job with your Kroot in combat, excellent play.

I've never used the Krootox, and probably never will. If you search the forums some, you'll find why no one uses them. I'll briefly list pros and cons, and explain them.
1) You lose Infiltration if you use Krootox. Huge loss.
2) S7 weapon is nice but...
3) The Kroot Gun is only ONE SHOT, at BS3. Unless you have an abnormal amount of luck, that's a lot of gambling for only one shot.
4) Rapid fire is nice, but...
5) It keeps you from firing the max range when moving, negating any self-covering fire.
6) It has 3 Attacks at S6, but...
7) It's only T3, like the rest of the squad, so it will become a magnet in CC, going down quickly, despite its three wounds.

That's the summary of the Krootox.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote