Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespid or Sniper Drones
Old 25 May 2007, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Vespid or Sniper Drones

What are better against Space Marines - Vespid or Sniper Drones?
Tau Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Vespid or Sniper Drones

Drones by far.
Better survivability.
Stealth field.
Range.
Markerlight support.
Higher S on weapon.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 20:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Vespid's guns are space marine killers, the only drawback is the limited range. But you do get assualt move like suites if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure how sniper drones go up against them because I don't use them or vespids. Can't get them to fit anywhere in my army.
Old 25 May 2007, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd go with sniper drones, their just so much fun to use.
Marklight hit > PING PING PING > Pinning test :P > wash hands and repeat .

Plus you'll probably get to shoot them off from turn one, and onward. And with STR6 thier likely to take down something every turn. You just have to watch out for them getting shot up. Just one casulty will cause a Moral test.
Old 25 May 2007, 21:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sniper Drones by far.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 21:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, keep in mind that the Rail Rifles Sniper Drones get are also space marine killers, and they don't have a short range. You don't get the JSJ move, as Vespid have "Jump packs" instead of "Jet packs" (or is it the other way around?)

Honestly, Vespid look much to fragile for my taste. They're fast and have nice guns, but they're essentially guardsmen other than that (and their initiative) for the price of a marine.

Sniper drones are hard to kill, and can spit out a lot of firepower. I once killed 9 members of a 10 man las/plas tactical squad, only to have the veteran Sergeant with power fist run off of the board! I've also removed the weapons from dreadnoughts in a pinch, and even brought down a few skimmers.
Their markerlights have helped in the killing of more than one tank (seeker missile), too.

I'd really like to emphasize the fact that Sniper Drones are hard to kill if used properly. In most circumstances, if you can't shoot them, they have literally no change of shooting you.

My Sniper Drones have made up their points in nearly every game I've played, and I like that. They're reliable and are able to stick around. Vespid, on the other hand, seem like a one-shot deal.

I can see them fitting in if you run mechanized tau, but I'm a static/hybrid player.

My vote:

Sniper Drones!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
but they're essentially guardsmen other than that (and their initiative) for the price of a marine.
Those T4 cover hugging buggers are a lot better then guardmen (but then so are kroot too ).

Funny story about the S.Drones. I was facing a Khorne Chaos army, and had my S.Drones too close (there was a lot of cover and it was the only way to get good LOS). Anyways he's bloodthurster and khorne berzerkers are stamping thorugh, and are close enough to assault my S.Drones. For the heck of it he decided to shoot at my S.Droens knowing that he was going to kick thier arse in hth. He managed one wound, so guess what I did. I took it on the spotter thus removing the whole team. Bahahaha no bonus movement from assault and consolidation for you Mr.Bloodthurster. You should have seen his face :P.
Old 25 May 2007, 22:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revolutionist
Vespid's guns are space marine killers, the only drawback is the limited range. But you do get assualt move like suites if I'm not mistaken.
Nope. Vespids just get stranded out in front of the enemy and shot to pieces. Or charged and hacked to pieces. They are only useful if you can reliably kill any units that are in range to either shoot them or charge them. They have uses, but generally only when teamed up with Crisis suits. Sniper Drones are a little easier to use.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 22:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
They have uses, but generally only when teamed up with Crisis suits.
How does that work? I've never seen how the 2 units actually benefit each other. Other then just putting more bodies out there.
Old 25 May 2007, 23:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

This is what I said in a previous thread; no reason to re-type it, I'll just quote myself instead.

Quote:
As others have said, Vespids are very situational/conditional. In my experience, they take patience and skill to use. If you expose them to early, they'll get mauled by better-ranged opponents. If you wait too long, the enemy will pass you, and the Vespids will do nothing. I find they're best as a offensive-defense unit, similar to Kroot. You park them in cover where they hopefully get a better save, and wait. When the enemy's jump troopers or other melee unit gets too close, you jump them out in front of the enemy. Your Pathfinders or other ML units ML the enemy as much as possible. You then dump all your firepower into the harassing squad, hopefully killing at least half. Then you charge them. Although they are only S3, but they are I5, so they will get to go first, usually, against Marines. You tie up the offending squad this way, and move the more sensitive units away from the combat site, hopefully saving your firing line (ie., your Broadsides). Offensively, they work similar to regular jumping assault Marines, you jump them forward behind pieces of cover, ML the unit you want to attack, dump the firepower, then assault, tying up that unit. You probably won't win the combat, but Vespid with their Strain Leader is Ld9, so they shouldn't break too easily, and you can tie up Devastator or similar squads for a long time. Two points I would advise for the Vespids: ALWAYS max out the squad, so you have a good chance of making it to the target, and when you get there, you can, with ML support, almost wipe the targetted squad out, and as I have been saying support them with Markerlights, which they can use, and you should, as they are only BS3. Uping that to 5 and, with lots of ML, diminishing the cover save, will make the Vespid a very deadly unit. You have to max them out though if you want their full potential, since they are only one-shot each, every shot counts, especially against Marines.
That's my take on Vespids.

As far as Sniper Drones go, I choose them over Vespids. Sniper Drone Teams are just more reliable and stick around longer. I use two teams (if not three) in every army I play with that's 1500 and over. They have better range and S, and with the stealth field, they are very difficult to eliminate with counter-fire.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote