Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Choice.
Old 25 May 2007, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Choice.

Ok so I've now got a sizeable tau force but im lacking in fast attack, all I have to choose from at the moment are my pathfinders, and gundrones. Now I've come to the decision that im either going to purchase a 6 man vespid squad with strain leader, or a piranha. My question to you more experienced players is which is better?.

Many Thanks, Farsight
Farsight117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 02:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Choice.

Piranha, at least, if you currently run vehicles. Running a piranha as your only vehicle would be a magnet for anti-tank fire. If you've already got a couple on the field, though, they at least have to make choices.

Vespids are pretty useless against non MEQs, and even against them, they're very situational. Even bolter fire is highly dangerous to them.

Oh....and dont neglect the pathfinders and gun drones. Using a PF team as a mounted FW squad only costs marginally more...and for some reason, they're fire magnets.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 02:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Or, on a purely physical basis- Which models do YOU like better? It may seem strange, but I've found that the models you enjoyed assembling/painting seem to do better on the tabletop.

If it was me? Go for the pirahnas, as they fit in with Mech-Tau well. And there's always the FW model, too...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personally I like the look of vespids but im very much a logical person, I'll use something if it will benefit me. I have read around that vespids are abit of a liability rather then a help, if a piranha will out perform a vespid squad im all for it, although I would like to hear more before I commit to a buy. As regards what type of army im running I feel its edgeing towards a mech-tau force what with the tanks and devilfishs I have I also have some broadsides, which leads me to my next point, would vespids be a good cover squad for broadsides?.
Old 25 May 2007, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

I'm currently painting my squad of piranhas......they look like fighter jets :P

that being said i'm not a big fan of vespids. i think they are points better spent elsewhere. I currently don't have any pathfinders but i love my piranhas to death.
Old 25 May 2007, 02:18   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In the few battles I have had my pathfinders have lit up targets for my broadsides excellently and after a few more battles I hope to do some battle reports, includeing pictures etc. The main armys im facing are Nids marines and guard, im finding it hard to get an edge over the marine player though, I think ill just put it down to lack of experience at the moment lol ;D.
Old 25 May 2007, 02:44   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Piranhas all the way man. The piranha is probably the sole most underrated unit in the Tau army, unless you are going up against a good player you will have a hell of a laugh blowing your opponent's vehicles up ^_^
Old 25 May 2007, 03:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The pirhanna also has more dakka capability than a vespid squad. Against the 'nids, their range is a biiig limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 04:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's as simple as this.

Vespids if you need fast anti-MEQ.

Piranha if you need fast anti-tank, anti-GEQ.

There are pro's and con's on both side. A piranha won't get stuck in hth, while vespids don't have to worry about getting hit by one anti-tank weapons. Bolter fire is something both units have to worry about. What matters most is what you need in your army, and which you feel more comfotable using.

Personally I decided to built my Vespids first (still havent gotten to those piranha yet).
Old 25 May 2007, 04:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, vespids against nids are just kinda pointless. Its one of the worst possible things to take vs that army. Also, they don't do at all well against guard, as all that ap, the only real advantage of vespids, is going to waste. A gun drone squadron will perform the same function vastly better against either of those opponents.

Marines are a bit different...are there any specific flavors of marines that are popular? Because honestly, theres some huge differences between chapters. Mech Tau's main concern with marines is dev squads, IMO. We can kill armor rapidly, and while embedded weapons are annoying, the sheer firepower of a dev squad means it really needs to die rapidly. Use your mobility to deny lanes of fire to him whenever possible, and enjoy your high level of tolerance for melee.

Keep in mind that piranhas do a lot better at killing MEQs/TEQs than vespids do at killing vehicles, though.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote