Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help Against Eldar
Old 24 May 2007, 01:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help Against Eldar

I play against Eldar a lot, and what the player does is get Shining Spears with a Farseer. He casts fortune, which is very rare he will fail, and then moves them 24' up a flank. This gives them a rerollable 3+ Invunerable save. Any advice on how to counter this? Im thinking mass burst cannons.
Jarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help Against Eldar

I've taken out squads shining spears with a kroot countercharge, and that was jut ten men. Definitely go quantity over quality here, stronger one-shot weapons will do better elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 02:12   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

what does your army look like and how willing are you to change it? Personally I believe a couple of Firestorm Suits will go a long way against these guys, but if you want to try it a simple 98 point Drone speed bump can be quite nasty, especially if it's the drones assaulting
Old 24 May 2007, 02:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The way we play we don't have WYSIWG Or limited to what models we have, we play proxy battles and all that so I can make any kind of army possible. What is this Firestorm setup? Also drones on the charge wouldn't do much as I hit on 5s then wound on 5s. Oh yeah, he also gets them withdraw so that assault doesn't mean much as he will just fly away.
Old 24 May 2007, 02:47   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

Yes, I can understand proxy battles and etc, but the question is: What do you normally use?

The Firestorm set up is a Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, and Multi-Tracker. Three of them cost 150 points and they throw out quite a bit of Dakka, 6 shots at S7 and 9 at S5.

And at least the drones will have the possibility of damaging them, and even more so they can shoot before they enter combat, on average causing 1 casulty and then entering combat. Plus 16 attacks on the charge (possibly less by their turn for combat)is nothing to scoff at, no matter the save and required to hit and wound rolls.
Old 24 May 2007, 02:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oh well the latest battle I used a Hybrid list, which I regretted as it was take and hold Gamma, and static part of my army fell hard, which led to the destruction of my suits, but i normally play a suit heavy Mechanished list. This Firestorm suit seems like a good idea. Would a HQ unit Shas'El with Targetting Arrays do better? And hard-wired MTs of course.
Old 24 May 2007, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

For a list that has enough fire power to take down a unit of Shining Spears...this is what I'm suggesting.

1 Mounted unit of 12 Fire Warriors. The Warriors will be mounted in a Warfish (Devilfish with Smart Missile Systems, Targetting Array, Multi Tracker and Decoy Launchers). This gives you more than enough shots to take down both units, and if they are in one squad this is even more delicious for you ^_^

The only problem is having the correct timing and placement to make something like this happen, and after a while you will easily get the hang of it.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah, I usually run two 12 man firewarrior squads with warfishes in my mech armies, so I'll see how this goes. Thanks for the help.