Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FoF help
Old 23 May 2007, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor
Default FoF help

Sorry if i'm sounding a bit thick. I'm pretty new to Tau and also 40K so hope I can be forgiven for asking stupid questions :P

Having read the FoF tactic, i'm still a little confused. So the basic premise is that the Devilfish can get in close, troop disembark and fire under the devilfish, thus gaining it's cover.

Doesn't this work both ways though? If the Firewarriors can fire from behind the Devilfish then why can't the enemy fire under as well?

Sorry if i'm missing the point. It's obviously a common tactic but i'm failing to grasp it.
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Default Re: FoF help

The main idea is not allowing your enemy to assalut you.
Both sides can shot under Devilfish , but nethier can move under it.
This way you are not allowing your oponet to get into CC and keep it ranged.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Fish of Fury is purely a tool for denying assaults. It has nothing to do with cover or preventing the enemy from shooting you. Occaisionally the survivors will fail a target priority check and waste all their S4 bolter shots on the Devilfish, but this is not something to be counted on, merely a perk.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It might be infective against tactical space marines because they hit and wound on a 3+ and have a three + save. Also don't use it against Jump troops as they would jump over the Devil fish and assault.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The idea behing FoF is to be able to Rapid Fire into the enemy, without him being able to assault you, since he has to be at least 1" away from your Fish all the time - that`s about it. It is still tricky to pull off, since you hve to be quite good at judging distances (at least in the beginning).

The Fish grants neither the enemy nor you a cover safe - Skimmers don`t block LoS, therefore they can`t provide cover.

Against Space Marines, it works perfectly, but make sure that the return fire is neglible - i.e. the no other Marine quad has a LoS to your Firewarriors, that all Whirlwinds are eradicated, and that you have other units to help your FoF sqaud (ye old "concentration of fire"-doctrine).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

With FoF do you really need two DF? If you take them both as Warfish that seems like allot of points...possibly with little reward.

But then again it could annihilate them i guess.

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

One Devilfish is usually enough - you just need to be careful, and maybe utilise nearby terrain (forcing the enmy to take a difficult terrain test, i.e., usually helps). It needn`t be a Warfish, though - depends on your liking (I field them with Multitracker and Decoy Launchers - keeps them cheap).

But for a greater effect, of course a second Fish is a good idea. Nice side effect here is that you don`t have to be so accurate when judging distances, since two Skimmers are a bigger roadblock than just one.

Instead of a second Fish, you could also take Hammerheads, Skyrays or (if you`re in a tight spot) Piranhas.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Doh! That makes perfect sense. I couldn't see the wood for the trees :

Certainly a great tactic. I'll look forward to using it. Thanks folks
Old 06 Jun 2007, 23:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I can't for the life of me find where in the 40K rulebook it mentions about not being able to assault under a skimmer. Help ???
Old 06 Jun 2007, 23:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O K'Vor
Sorry to drag this one up again, but I can't for the life of me find where in the 40K rulebook it mentions about not being able to assault under a skimmer. Help ???
It's not that exactly, it's not being able to move closer than 1" to any enemy model for a purpose other than assault. The 'Fish counts as an 'enemy model' to whoever you're playing against. I don't have my rulebook on me at the moment (at uni), so I can't give you a page number.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote