Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice on point cost versus effectiveness + ninja'o
Old 23 May 2007, 11:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Advice on point cost versus effectiveness + ninja'o

Hi all

I'm wondering about how cost effective plasma is when twinlinked, used with a TA or both on XV8s?

say if I had 3 suits, Twinlinked PR and TA thats running alot of points.... around 195 i believe... would this be well spent or not.
Also is it better to use the sunforge option with TA? (PR,FB,TA i think thats the right name)

I haven't played many games so not sure on effectiveness...so i thought i would ask some veterans.

Also that ninja'o...does it work when not on a Shas'o? Or is it pants on your standard XV8?

Thanks guys...and girls maybe. ;D

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 11:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Advice on point cost versus effectivness + ninja'o

Versus 2+ or 3+ armies (SMs and the like), I've seen massed Twin PRs do very well. It's even decent versus light armor (Orks and Eldar). They tend to suffer against "horde" armies (IG, Nids, Kroot Mercs), as one kill per suit on a 5-8 point model is a losing proposition for you.

Mainly, I say it comes down to who you fight the most .

As for the Ninja'O, as the Stim Injector is special issue, so only the Shas'O/El will probably receive it, anyway...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 11:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

It's pretty effective, ~equivalent to BS5.3
PR,FB is actually Helios, Sunforge is TL FB. It's better to use burning eye (what you have), as you don't need a multi-tracker to fire both weapons.

Ninja'O = Pants on anything less than Shas'O. 'O gets 5 attacks at WS 4 S 5 on the charge. Other stuff pales by comparison.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 11:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the fast replies

Play marines mainly, then eldar. Will take the T/L plasma and TA on 3 suits then T/L MP and TA on 3 others...separate squads...see how that performs.

Plasma squad will have to be quite close range for double tapping though... make on a team leader and take a couple of sheild drones.

Cheers folks

"Yes indeed Giles"
Old 23 May 2007, 11:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick3003
Will take the T/L plasma and TA on 3 suits then T/L MP and TA on 3 others...separate squads...see how that performs.
TL Plas will therefore be hunting all and sundry in the marine army (but prioritise termies, get loads of VP's) and hunting heavy aspect warriors in the eldar army.

For both armies the TL MP will be hunting light-medium vehicles, transports, preds, wave serpents, falcons/prisms, vypers/speeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick3003
Plasma squad will have to be quite close range for double tapping though... make on a team leader and take a couple of sheild drones.
Almost mandatory on anything that's going to be getting that close and personal. ;D

Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 23 May 2007, 13:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Ninja'O is all about avoiding taking wounds. This is paramount. If you can avoid taking any wounds, you can draw combat and tie up enemy shooty squads. Since the Shas'O is WS 4, he forces Marines to hit you back on 4's... something that's a key point to avoiding taking wounds. Additionally, if you do take a wound, you're likely to be outnumbered by a fair bit and likely taking your morale check on -1 or -2. Having the Ld10 of the Shas'O helps here as well.

In short, the Ninja config is really only worthwhile on a Shas'O.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 20:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Advice on point cost versus effectiveness + ninja'o

Sorry to keep bugging you guys...is this a decent list for 1000 points?

HQ
Shas'el
MP
PR
T/A
H/W Drone Cont
Shield drone x 1

Troop1
Fire Warriors x 10
Shas'sui
Devil Fish
SMS
Multi Tracker
Decoys

Troop2

Fire warriors x 8

Shas'sui
bonded

Elite1

XV8 x 3
TL MP x 3
Targeting Array x 3
Team Leader
H/W Drone Cont
Shield Drone x 1

Elite2

XV8 x 3
T/L PR x 3
Targeting Array x 3
Team Leader
H/W Drone Cont
Shield Drone x 2

Heavy Support1

Rail Head
Multi Tracker
Burst Cannons

Total 1,001 (i think my mates will let me off the 1 pt)

I reckon this will do allright, but it seems like too few models. Am i too Suit heavy?
Thanks for all your help as well, you lot a pure genius!

"Yes indeed Giles"
Old 23 May 2007, 20:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not a bad config at all, but I'd be tempted to get a 2nd Fish for your 2nd squad of FWs- the marines will, more than likely, get into CC with them, and your poor FWs get reamed (Seen it and done it to our Tau player too many times to count). And once he uses your FW squad as a foothold... he can usually leap-frog to other squads, especially if it's an Assault squad with jump-packs (Not to mention if he adds the ever-popular Librarian with lightning claws... Ouch).

Basically- Get that 2nd FW squad mobile, and you'll be running circles around him.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris

Basically- Get that 2nd FW squad mobile, and you'll be running circles around him.
I have no more points ill give this a bash first, got to buy more suits though......... humph!)

"Yes indeed Giles"
Old 23 May 2007, 21:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Try 2 of each suit first, just to see which on you need more of. (though too many suits is never a bad thing )
Use the spare points to get the other squad a 'fish, see how much difference it makes.

–tvtropes.org