Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how to win take and hold with tau
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2005, 01:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to MEanBOb
Default how to win take and hold with tau

alright for all you new people or if you just want to try something new heres a great way to win take and hold missions. This works almost againast all armys except if those nasty space marines and their user get lucky with their saves or a lot of termies are invovled :P. alright well on to it. So if you can start your fire warriors in or close to cover and make sure you have stealth suites for infultrate(DO NOT USE KROOT AS A CHEAP ALTERNIVE). At least have one heavy, support hammerhead is the best for railgun submunitions but broadsiades are fine too. Hold your stealth suites for infultration because deepstrike is too dangerous. Infultrate them near the objective and get them there as fast as you can. If your playing a shooty army it doesnt matter if they sit back and shoot because of the stealth suites speacail rule. If your playing an assault army blow the crap out of the transports with your railguns and mop up any survivors with tau pulse rifle fire coming from the cover they should be in. If your openent is feilding an assault army without transports use submuintions on there assault troops as i have learned it can blow huge holes in eldar and space marine assault armys. Oh if your up against termies make sure you get crisises with plasma rifles and fusion guns both getting rid of there saves and there space marine counterparts. So i hope this helps anyone having problems with take and hold.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 02:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: how to win take and hold with tau

while your intentions are admrable I'd like to point out that when 40 or 60 kroot break cover (if there wasnt cover on the objective for them to infiltrate onto) on the 4th turn and leg it ono the objective, aint nothing gonna move them off, especially if your FoF and HH have been parking infront of assault teams and slowing them down. if the opponent has taken the objective already, the 120-180 attacks as S4 WS4 will ensure he does not hold it

I actually think that kroot are the most valuable unit in a T&H game.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 22 Feb 2005, 02:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

few things that can

ordnance blast

massed scatter lasers

tank shock...

well those are the few things that could happen lol but yes there is a high chance that 40 to sixty kroot could work
Old 22 Feb 2005, 03:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

sorry to repeatedly burst your bubble but if there is still something capable of lobbing an ordinance blast alive on the 4th turn you are in some serious shaz whether you have kroot or not, gaining tank (and therefore mobility) superirity is one of the first objectives when playing Tau and massed scatterlasers come from vypers......which have AV10......and drop to MP a lot of the time.

none of those really pose a problem to a well played Tau army IMO as they are mostly tank threats, and one of the first objectives any mobile (the only type of Tau I account for) army will focus on neutralising.
go here
Old 22 Feb 2005, 03:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

lol touche ive kept my hammerhead for 6 turns of 5 player take and hold jus by landing it and sitcking two rows of fw in fornt of it...and getting some lucking roles so w/e but i think youve won lol
Old 22 Feb 2005, 03:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

logic always winns in the end although some people will advocate "if you cant dazzle them with reason baffle them with BS" .

and its really just a principle of swarming the objective with a hoarde of cheap effectve troops .....Tau a hoarde army... ;D gotta
make you laugh :P
go here
Old 22 Feb 2005, 03:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

It's safe to say that any horde chunk of cheap and effective models can be the MVP of a take and hold game. For Tau, it's the Kroot (or even those little humans, but I prefer Kroot over them).

The thing with take and hold, is that Tau can move and still have the same amount of fire-output (though some units gain firepower, such as the humble firewarriors enmass that used their transports to double their firepower at less range). Not every army can do this, though many can do the same and close. But not every army can fill their transports with cheap, disgustingly good shooting units like Firewarriors with S5 weapons. This makes them in a class of their own. Aside from our Fish and their contents, we have XV8's and Hammerheads, which if configured well, will eliminate anything on the board so long as one follows the target priority schemes. If the Tau are faster and can shoot more, they're going to have the advantage in most cases.

The "Tau Advantage" is that they can afford a really cheap horde unit that when in cover can actually be steadfast to a degree, while mainting a really strong firebase. Some armies sacrifice their firepower and mobility to gain the horde effect.

But what I tend to find in each thread lately, is that the long range Tau units are the only things being fired at. I use Kroot myself, and when taken in a large amount, they are not ignored as many seem to suggest. Suits and Tanks are all attractive targets for the medium and long range weapons, but not every unit has such capability. Those guys with tons of bolters, flamers and plasma and the like that do not want to sit still to fire a single heavy shot at a suit that is in cover, as many times happens, will just unload on those poor nearby Kroot. Take a single shot with poor odds? Or take loads of shots at many models that will not even get a save unless they're hugging cover with mass vollies of fire. Kroot take damage--fact of life unfortunately. If one takes a good blend of Tau units and Kroot however, keeping the enemy busy with suits, firewarriors and tanks can give a medium amount of Kroot a good chance to survive long enough to assault with that highly unlikely amount of attacks. I too like having many attacks as a potential, but we all know that's not what happens in the game. What happens in the game, for the most part, is that 1/3rd of them are already gone before those attacks are even made--if that. There are exceptions, but exceptions are just that... rare.

Tau are great for Take & Hold though. A good blend of horde troops to crowd areas and a good blend of rate of fire mobile core force that can generate quick fire paths.