Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is better against Marines?
Old 22 May 2007, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What is better against Marines?

I am using two stealth teams as I love their stealth and weapons but my opponent does not plan on using any vehicles in his space marine army. Would I be better off equipping them all the their burst cannons instead of having 2 of them with fusion blasters? I like the power of the blaster but I am not sure I want to get that close what is everyone else's opinion on stealth teams with fusion blasters?
Verfolgung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 01:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: What is better against Marines?

I'd keep a fusion blaster in the team in case you face some stronger opponment. I have very low succes with the burst cannon in general, so my stealths are usually left in their menta (carrying box).
Old 23 May 2007, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Against marines I would be in a split decision.

On one hand, you've got a handy possibly bs4 meltagun in the squad.

On the other hand, you need to get dangerously close to use the fusion blaster. If you can shoot them with a fusion, they've got a good chance of seeing through your stealth, or even catching you in assault (hint-hint.. jump pack equipped marines)

. If you think it's worthwhile (and I do!), I would reccommend giving the squad (or at least the Fusion stealths if you take them, as they are one-shot weapons.)

Here's an example of a barebones stealth squad with a fusion:

3x Stealth suit,
1x Fusion Blaster.

Comes out to 92 points if I remember correctly.

Here's another example, but given a few options:

3x Stealth suit
2x Black Sun filter
1x Targetting array
1x Fusion blaster (TA suit)

Comes out to 108 points. Although this is a 16 point increase, it bumps up the Fusion blaster to BS4. The Black Sun Filters are just there to take up the required hardpoint as a cheap option.

Here's an example of the typical stealth unit that I field, just for comparison:

3x Stealth Suit
3x Targetting Array
1x Fusion blaster (sometimes)

Comes out to either 120 or 122 points, depending on whether you take the fusion or not. I sometimes field two of these units and use them to support each other. Trust me, it rips up a Guard flank like nobody's business, but we're talking the whole other end of the spectrum. If I take this unit against marines, I put the Fusion Blaster in to help take care of the power armor. Heck, a fusion isn't 1/2 bad against a russ, either

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 02:23   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

I always use my XV-15s (as I have no other stealths) and always use my Burst Cannons. 18 shots, even at a 50% hit rate is still fearsome. And against marines it is enough to be a nuisance.

Old 23 May 2007, 03:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Note that against MEQs, the odds of killing one with a fusion blaster are almost identical to a burst, and the closer range required to fire is highly annoying.

I bring one, and only one(sometimes skip it if I need to make up a coupla points) not because it's that awesome of a MEQ killer, but because it keeps vehicles, specifically dreadnaughts, away.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 04:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I am bound to take fusions in my team... why? I used up my burst cannon bits ;D

Ok on to the topic ->

First -> My advises have no warranty and return policy. ;D

Now with this out of the way ->

Fusion & stealth is a controversy -> why? Simple

Stealth units are made for infantry suppression. range 18', assalt 3, jet packs, power armor and stealth field. Its just a perfect bet. Its hard to get any better then this.

Now what is fusion blaster for? Its basically helps to punch a hole the size of a well feed squigoh in your opponent's landraiders or, alternatively, cremate your opponents flying 200+ point chaplains...

Really its a "life insurance". It will reduce your anti-infantry copability by third but will give you a serious counter statement versus his metal scarp boxes and though guys.
It will make you less annoying theirfore the suits will drop on the target priority list. This is an interesting thing. Remember that even if you will bite your opponent every turn he is likely to ignore you, -> on the last turns you can safely grab objectives, or even attack your opponent vehicles with fusion when your other units needs support. Fusion may be will reduce your fire power but it will certainly help you stay alive longer. Again it can be a wild card, -> just when your opponent doesn't care about them they pull some wild stun...

Hope I helped

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 07:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use my Fusion equiped Stealth Suits more against the Dreads than other vehicles. That way you don't have to be within 6" for it to be effective. Being able to penetrate on a 4+ is still pretty good.

Plus, if I am lucky I could use it to instakill a character.
TheMav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 18:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Chuk the fusion blasters. Getting that close to anything is not worth it. I know JSJ means you end up 18" away but thats still too close as the enemy will probably pass their spotting test at that distance but they will probably fail at 24".
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

NEVER and I repeat NEVER use FB's in stealth teams. To be useful, you have to be well in the range that they can see you. BC's are the only way to go.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to WiSe SwOrDsMaN

I think you should take this:

3x XV8 battlesuits

3x Plasma rifles

3x Missile Pods

I know thats kinda normal, but i think that thats the best thing for Marines. You can hit fast squads with the missile pods from afar, and rapid fire on a squad of regular marines, then jump back into cover. Give them each a multitracker and you can hit squads with both!

You always know things are too good to be true when you don't remember the alarm going off.
Then it does...
WiSe SwOrDsMaN is offline   Reply With Quote