Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Partially Construct and Paint My Army
Old 22 May 2007, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Partially Construct and Paint My Army

First, let me say to the Mods/Admins, I honestly tried to find the Marketplace-equivalent board, and I honestly could not find it.* So, I'm posting here.* I was going to post here anyway, since I'm not exactly buying or selling anything, and some people may be interested in doing this but not into buying stuff, so I wanted to reach as many people as possible.* So, if this is the wrong forum, I ask that you please just lock the thread, and direct me to where this needs to be so I can put a duplicate thread there.

Second, if you live outside the continental United States or Canada, this will not apply to you.

Third, this is a necessarily long post, so be prepared to read.

Fourth, this is a consideration for you to partially-construct and paint an ENTIRE ARMY.* If you’re not interested in doing this, save your time and skip this thread.

Basically, I want one of you to paint my army (well, most of it, I only have 2 Fire Warriors that are fully painted) and put together some of the extra miniatures I have and are going to buy.* I will pay you to do it, and will provide most of the supplies you'll need, including (but not limited to) glue, wire cutters (for pewter), hobby knife with extra blades, brushes (at least four) and paint.* You may need to buy some more paint, as I only have one pot of each color needed, but I will compensate you for any supplies you need while working on my army.

My army is:
1 Ethereal
4 XV8 Crisis Suits
36 Fire Warriors (12 are unassembled)
20 Kroot Carnivores
4 Kroot Hounds
12 Gun Drones (6 unassembled)
4 Gun-converted-to-Shield Drones
5 Vespid Stingwings, one Strain Leader (all unassembled).
3 XV88 Broadsides
1 Hammerhead Gunship (needs little final assembly)
3 Sniper Drone teams (one team unassembled)

I plan to expand by buying:
1 Commander Shadowsun
2 Devilfish
6 XV25 Stealth Suits
3 Piranhas
4 Vespid Stingwings

Basically what I would like to do is as follows.* First, I'm willing to offer approximately US$4-500 for the entire army to have finished construction and painting, plus fees for shipping and supplies (so, that $500 will be yours, not spent on extra stuff you need to do the work).* I will send you the first box of miniatures (out of ten, currently) and all the supplies I have, along with a payment that is proportionate to a box to be constructed/painted (at US$500 for the army, that will be US$50 for the box).* When you have finished constructing and painting the first box, you will return it to me, and after judging the quality of work, I will send you the second box and any parts that need constructing that would go with that box, along with payment for that box.* If I end up having more than ten boxes/sets of miniatures, I will give you US$50 for each extra box that is assembled/painted.* This will repeat until the entire army is finished, and you will have full payment.* Additionally, if the quality and timing exceeds my standards, I will give you a bonus, which, because it will vary with the work, I cannot post here (I can say however it would be AT LEAST US$50, probably more).

I want to do it this way for a few reasons, which I will explain so you know why.* First and foremost, sending the army and payment bit by bit ensures that, if you the modeler/painter turn out to be a crook, I will lose relatively little.* It also lets me continually judge your work, so I can decide each time if I actually want to keep you as a client.* Third, it lets me keep most of my army to play with; if I sent you my entire army, I would not be able to play for a long time.

I will now outline the work I expect.* I expect this to be followed to the letter, as I have very strict standards I hold myself to, so my miniatures are as quality as possible.
First, construction.* First, I would prefer that you not spray the parts while they are still on the sprues.* There are two reasons for this.* First, unless you mask all of the points that are to be glued, you will paint over said points, and when you put them together, if you don't remove that paint, you will be gluing the paint and not the part itself, leading to a weak bond that could break easily.* Second, I want you to take off all the mold lines AND the flash where the part attached to the sprue (only the flash of contact to the sprue with pewter though, getting the mold lines off of pewter is nearly impossible to do properly or fast), so that the model parts are clean; this means there will be area on each part that is not primed.* Back to the main steps, second, after you have taken off the mold lines and sprue excess, I want you to wash all the to-be assembled parts with soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly, to remove oil and dirt: this ensures a proper bond between parts when you glue them (and, if you don’t touch the model too much, a proper priming).* Finally, assemble the parts to create the model.* Make sure everything fits as properly as possible (I’ve had minor problems assembling some of the Fire Warriors’ arms to create proper firing poses: the left arm bracing the weapon only edges out on the torso, but this is acceptable considering the glue I use).* For plastic-to-plastic bonds, I want you to use the Testors glue in the red tube; this actually melts the plastic and creates a very strong bond that will not break easily.* For everything else, use the Krazy Glue that I will supply.* When you glue the model, don’t use a ton of glue, use just enough.* With the Testors, you may have excess come out of the bonding site; carve this away with a knife after the glue dries.* Once the models are assembled, they will be ready for painting.
Second, painting.* When you start to paint, first, prime the figures in black, unless stated otherwise.* I will give you specific instructions how to paint each type of mini.* I plan to take pictures of sample minis that I paint, I will label them to the last detail, and all you need to do is follow the pattern.* How you paint the miniatures is up to you, as long as they turn out properly.* I would recommend an assembly line type setup, where you paint one major color at a time, then washing the minis, then finally detailing the bright parts (like lens, switches, and gun barrel ends/exposed parts).* You MUST prime the miniatures though, unless stated otherwise.* DO NOT put on a layer of varnish/fixative/other overall external coat.* Like I said, I will give you specific instructions per mini type when if you accept my offer.

When the miniatures in a box/set are completed, pack them up how you got them and ship them back to me.* After I receive and inspect the box, I will send you the next box, until the whole army is completed.

Now, qualifications.
First, I would prefer that you be a Tau player, since you will know as a Tau player the intricacies of modeling and painting Tau.* Second, I want you to submit pictures of your work.* You can either post these in this thread, Private Message them to me, or e-mail them to me (my e-mail is timberwolf_cy@yahoo.com).* I want you to submit at least 3, up to six pictures, of your previous work, again, preferably of Tau (one picture of basic infantry, one of a battle suit (preferably Crisis), and one of a vehicle (preferably a larger one, like a Hammerhead or Devilfish).* Third, I will look at the how long you have been with Tau Online, what your karma is, and how many posts you have made.* I will search your name out with the search engine and examine the quality of your posts as well.* I will do everything I can short of a background check to make sure you’re not a crook, so I don’t lose my mini’s or money.* If I judge you to be a trustworthy person AND you have the “mad phat skillz” (okay, just good will do), then you can qualify to work on my stuff.

Next, bidding.* I have a base offer of US$500 for the entire army, plus whatever costs are incurred for buying extra supplies and shipping stuff back to me, which I will pay in payments with each box you work on, as I explained some earlier and more later.* If I end up needing more than 10 boxes done at US$50 a piece, you will get US$50 per box.* However, you can bid up or down the price, offer to construct and paint only a portion of the army (I detail this later); when I deem I have accepted a reasonable offer, I will notify that person by e-mail, PM and on the thread.* Thereafter, the process of getting your information (real name, address, etc.), shipping and work will begin.

Now, timing.* I am in Taiwan currently, but I will arrive back in the US June 7th.* I can start shipping stuff probably June 9th.* I want you to get the work done as fast as possible (while still maintaining quality), for two reasons.* First, I want my completed army to play with, of course!* Second, I will probably be MOVING to Taiwan in December, and I need my army done by mid-December so I can ship it, along with another Space Marine army, to Taiwan, so I can introduce/play the game there.* This means you will have roughly 6 months to get as much work done as possible.* If you don’t finish in time, you have two options.* You can either a) just send the last box to me, and we’ll call it off, or b) continue to work on stuff and you can ship to Taiwan; as I said earlier, I WILL cover ALL the shipping costs.* I would prefer that you continue to work, but you can decide for yourself what you want to do.

Finally, splitting of the work.* If you do not want to do the entire army, but are willing to do some work, post what you are willing to work on, along with an offer of how much you want to be paid (base offer will be around US$40-50 a box/set).* A box approximately equals 10-12 standard infantry (ie. Fire Warrios/Kroot/Drones), 4-6 battle suits, one tank, three Piranhas, or miscellaneous pieces (ie., I have the guns for the Hammerhead, 6 Gun Drones with stands, and Ethereal in one “miscellaneous” box).* If I accept, you can work on that part, and the remainder will be sent to someone else.* Also, I will be working on stuff at the same time (probably mostly construction, but some painting too so I can supply you “sample” figs to copy).

Thank you very much for considering my offer.* You can post your bid and sample work here, or PM or e-mail me.* If you PM or e-mail me an offer, I will post the amount you offered in this thread; if you wish to remain anonymous, I will NOT give your name with the offer, just the offer itself, so that others may bid against it if they wish.* Thanks again.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Partially Construct and Paint My Army

Well, we don't have a trading section because of controversy as to how it should be run. We had trouble with people wanting to use us as a store. My understanding is that that section would be reorganized and brought back on-line some time this summer. I will run this by TO, but understand that we really can't offer much security in this sort of thing on either end, which is part of why running an online trading forum is so difficult.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think you will find someone willing to do all that you are asking and the quality of painting you want done for $500. Any real 40k painter who paints well (i know those who do commission work) have 4 tiers of painting. Tier 2 is basic table top, tier 3 (usually IC's) and tier 4 Golden Demon

At tier 2 standard table top by most reputable painters will cost you on avg $100 per squad whether 5 man or 10 man or per tank. A Crisis suit will cost on avg $50-75 per suit.

I am sure you will find someone to take your offer but I don't know the quality of work you will get.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I can assemble an army of this size in a matter of days, but painting is another story. I paint well, but very, very slowly.

You might want to consider parting it out, as doing the whole army is a rather daunting task, and it might be a lot easier to find people willing to paint a couple boxes as opposed to a decently sized army.

Also, it'd be helpful to have the desired paint scheme at least described here. Some folks love simplicity, and if a two-three color scheme is your dream, I imagine folks would be more tempted by that than a six color scheme requiring highlighting, shading, superdetailing, etc. In short, there are many different levels and types of painting, many of which are more preference than simply good or bad, and detailing exactly what you want should be helpful.

Now, on the bright side, you included lots of details, that should help you a ton. Trust wise, Ive bought stuff off the trading forum when it was up, and never was burned, nor known anyone who was. On the basis of that, Id say most folks here are pretty decent and not likely to rip you off.

Addendum: And kudos to you for wanting to field a decently painted army, despite time or experience challenges. I cheer everyone who puts forth effort to do something better than the endless grey and black armies I see around.

I'd do assembly of any amount, if you're interested(though shipping models twice might be annoying for you), and I'd happily paint up a single misc lot. I find those much more interesting than painting dozens of firewarriors, personally.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 04:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.* I tried to think of everything to put down that I could, so potential candidates would have as much information as possible.* I will address what you guys said here.

First, quality.* I'm not looking for Tier 3 or 4 "Golden Demon" quality minis, just a decent overall job.* I'm not asking for hyper detailing; probably the most difficult part I can think of paint-wise would be painting the lenses on helmets and Pulse Rifles so they look good, but that's not terribly difficult either.* I just want a good job done, nothing extraordinary.* I would post pictures of my Fire Warriors that I painted, but I don't have a camera good enough to take a picture of them with, although a friend of mine does in Warrensburg, so when I get back, I will be posting those pictures at least.

Second, paint scheme.* The Fire Warriors would be two-tone primarily, with some detailing: brown cloth/jump suit, snot green armor; detailing - black boots and armor straps, black lines (you know, the little recessed lines in the armor that makes it look like plate), bright flourescent green for the Pulse Rifle scope, one red and one flourescent green lens on the helmet, and a two dots of red and blue on the top of the backpack, and flourescent blue at the ends of the gun barrels if the weapon is in a shooting position; before the bright colors are added, a black wash is to be applied all over the model.
Kroot Carnivores and Hounds are to be painted like out of the Codex, that tan-greenish color with yellow barbs and so on.
Vehicles would be snot green, with detailing.
Drones would be mostly snot green, with detailing.
Battle Suits would be snot green on all the armor, the conventional color area, and boltgun metal on the "moving" parts (ball joints, knee joints, etc.) with detailing.
Ethereal would be painted similar to the book.
Sept markings on all models (I haven't decided on which sept yet though, so I don't know this color yet).

That's the details on the paint scheme.* I haven't fleshed it all out yet, because I haven't painted much of that stuff yet.

As far as money, like I said, the price is negotiable.* If a Golden Demon painter walks up and says "I'll paint all the Kroot to win a paint tournament for US$100, in one day," and he meets my standards, I would consider it.* US$50 per box is just the base price.

As far as security, I understand the risk, and would NEVER hold Tau Online responsible.* I am the one putting up this offer, therefore, I take all responsibilty for what happens.* This of course won't prevent me from publically humiliating the person whenever I can, but ultimately it will be my fault for trusting someone, not TO's.* I AM NOT one of those people that sue people for stuff that is my fault.

And thanks for the kudos about fielding a properly painted army.* I would love to paint the army myself, as I am actually a decent painter, but I have two primary problems: first, time, and second, my hands shake.* I mean literally.* Often when I sit down to paint, the brush will bounce around in my hand a milimeter or two everywhere from where I'm trying to hold it.* I try to relax as much as possible, but it simply doesn't help.* I think I just have bad nerves, or my bi-polar screws me or something.* I also shiver when it's only 60-65 degrees in a room or outside; I'm worried its Parkinson's or something.

Off-topic, where would I go here on the website to get extra bits for my Crisis Suits?* I'm mostly looking for Burst Cannons, Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles, and Fusion Blasters for the Crisis Suits, but I'm also looking for spare SMS parts for Devilfish.* Where would I post this at?

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys, you have done a lot to aid me.

Tyndmyr - I do have that miscellaneous box of stuff, if you want to paint that.* I would ask that you buy supplies for it, but I will reimburse you for that.* I also have a box of Fire Warriors that need assembly, and painting, if you're up to it.* Payment is negotiable, but like I said, US$50 per squad/box is my base offer.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 23 May 2007, 04:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
Off-topic, where would I go here on the website to get extra bits for my Crisis Suits? I'm mostly looking for Burst Cannons, Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles, and Fusion Blasters for the Crisis Suits, but I'm also looking for spare SMS parts for Devilfish. Where would I post this at?
No where here yet. But for an off site place, try Battle Wagon Bits.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 11:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, BW bits is solid. Also, players here probably have extra bits, you cant possibly use every weapon on every crisis sprue legally, unless you're one of those magnet folks. The sms is a bit harder...you can find the missiles anywhere, but the little turret thingie only tends to come with models that need to use it. BW bits or ebay for sure.

Yeah, thats fine, one fw team and the misc box, at base price. I can't claim to paint golden demon level, IMO, but I can do a tabletop job fine. I'll post a few pics of my tau after work today. If you like, I can also dig through my bits and figure out how many extra crisis weapons I have(bound to be a fair bit).

As for the payment, I suggest doing paypal. They've got great dispute resolution, so all you really risk is the models, which I guess is unavoidable.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 01:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright, thanks guys for the direction on where to find bits.

Tyndmyr - alright.* When I get back to the States, I'll PM you and you can give me your information, and I'll mail the stuff.* Yeah, if you can look through your Crisis weapons, let me know what you have, and I'll buy them from you. We can use Paypal if you want, but I was just going to write you a check.* Up to you. Thanks.
Old 24 May 2007, 01:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd do it. I got plenty of time to do it. But I'm afraid my painting skills are not consistent enough. I can paint well, but I don't consider myself as a competition grade painter. My army is tabletop worthy.

Old 24 May 2007, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Fox - dude, from the pictures, your stuff looks great! Tyndmyr is taking a box of Fire Warriors and a Misc. box to build and paint, and someone else is taking another squad of Fire Warriors. However, all the rest is still available. I will be buying more miniatures over the summer though, so there will still be plenty for you to do. PM me when you get time. I won't get back in the states till June 7, but a couple days after that I should be ready to start sending you stuff. Thanks a lot Fox, you made my day!!!