* * *TL Plasma Rifle; TL Railgun; Shield Generators

Models in Army: 43
Total Army Cost: 750

Old 21 Feb 2005, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: 750pt Starter army for review

Slannm:

It's not a bad list to start, but there are a few tweaks you could make.

HQ:

First of all, there's really not enough Tau on the board to really benefit this Ethereal. Until you get more firewarriors or suits, I would probably go for a Shas'el to better suit this list.

Elite:

Your first two XV8's are problematic. They have the right weapons, but the shield gen keeps them from firing all their guns. Go for the multi-tracker instead, you won't need those shield gens yet (especially with the fireknife config that you have going).

The single suit is very strange. If you want to go for the kamakazi close range suit type with a shield gen, then you'll also need to drop that brust cannon and grab a fusion blaster. Then go up to the shas'vre level for the hardwired multi-tracker. But this is very expensive. You'd be better off configuring this suit like your other suits, and then splitting them all into a single man elite units, with the missile pods and plasmas with multi-trackers.

Troops:

You -really- need the Shas'ui upgrade if nothing else. They'll be at ld6 if they lose a few models very quickly.

Those human aux are fine as they are, but I would focus more on solid units before going into the cheap human scum so quickly as they're better as list filler, not being based upon them for a troop.

Fast Attack:

Good choice on the drones.

Heavy:

Again, not a bad choice to begin with, but you do not need the shield generators. Instead, opt for the drone controller with a single gundrone (it grants you an extra wound, and if that drone absorbs the lascannon shot that hits you, you will not be below 50% strength and retain your ld8 for targeting and all. Just keep him in cover for a cover save and you won't have to spend 20 points on that shield gen. Also, save your points on this plasma. Plasma is better suited on crisis--keep your smart missile system for those sneaky types that come from behind terrain.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 01:31   #3 (permalink)
slannm

Im planning to cut the gue'vessa down to an 8-10 man unit, because I already have to models and I think they are great for fluff purposes. Splitting up the Crisis suits seems like a good idea but I think the shield generators are essential, because I play my guard friend every week and he has 2 bassies that he uses to pund my suits to death, and the generators give them a chance to survive past the first turn. The advice on the broadside is very good, ill be sure to make the changes.

Old 22 Feb 2005, 03:28   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not sure that is the best way to deal with the basilisk. I would just use deep-striking units to get behind them. The shield generators are way too expensive to protect a normal crisis suit with just a 4+ save.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 08:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Your first two XV8's are problematic.* They have the right weapons, but the shield gen keeps them from firing all their guns.* Go for the multi-tracker instead, you won't need those shield gens yet (especially with the fireknife config that you have going).
Can't you like hardwire one of them or smt?... my friend uses both a shield generator and a multitraker so he can use all his guns.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Freeman:

Yea, he can. But the point is to save his points If he wants his shield gens, then by all means, he'll have them. And in that case, if he splits them up into seperate elites, he will be able to upgrade them all to having shield gens and hardwired multi-trackers--but this is a -very- expensive option considering the 750 point level.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

Yea i'd lose the SG from the suits there you have 80 points to play with and in 750 pt. games 80 points is to dear for what you get methinks
Closed Thread