Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau=Halo?
Old 21 May 2007, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite
Default Tau=Halo?

I know that this has probably been posted before but the search don't work on my computer so i cant see, but has anyone else noticed the few similarities between halo and the tau, not saying they copied but there are a few.

[glow=red,2,300]Its a conspiracy [/glow] :shifty: :shifty:

for example

space pope = prophets

space popes 'honour guard' = elite 'honour guard'

vespid = drones

tetra/piranha = ghost

and the tanks have a distinct wraith like look about them :shifty:

any other similarities noticed out there ???

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: halo=tau

Tau have more in common with Three Kingdoms China than they do with Halo. Your similarities are largely coincidental.

Besides, if you must compare them to something, go watch Episodes I and II of Star Wars; Tau vehicles look similar to the Droid Army tanks, they're obsessed with "Droids", and their armour does indeed have a "Storm Trooper" feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One tripped out space marine can own an entire army with just his fists
Old 21 May 2007, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau=Halo?

There are some cursory similarities between Aun'va and the Halo Prophets, and I can see some visual similarities between the Piranha and the Ghost. I do not know whether they were intentional or not.

All of the similarities showed up from Forge World and the Tau Empires Update. So it is possible that GW was influenced a little by the popularity of Halo when they were writing the update. The original ideas behind the Tau were the work of Andy Chambers, so the update in his absence resulted in a slight reenvisioning of them.

But as Wargamer noted, I wouldn't read too much into the resemblance. Even if it was intentional, remember that it is also fairly recent, and not found in much of the original material. The first Tau codex and models (including the Devilfish chassis) predate the first Halo. And they were in development at the same time, so it is unlikely that either really drew much direct visual inspiration from the other.

So I doubt that it is a conspiracy. The Demiurg from Battlefleet Gothic are a much more obvious steal, in that case from the Bentusi of Homeworld. They will probably need to rewrite that part if GW ever releases them in a wider context.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 21:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Piranha is porbably a lot bigger than the Ghost since the Piranha is a 2 seater while the Ghost is a single seater.

Now, if someone painted Firewarriors green and 'Fishes purple, then we have something to compare with.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 23:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Darkside
I don't mean to be rude man, but I'm curious, what relevance to the thread does this have?

And any one ever noticed that the Manta kinda looks like a Pelican dropship from Halo? You know the human space to land transports... And obviously much much larger than the Pelican.

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 23:21   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetta Stoned
And any one ever noticed that the Manta kinda looks like a Pelican dropship from Halo? You know the human space to land transports... And obviously much much larger than the Pelican.
In a sense, most "drop-ship" style aircraft share a lot of visual elements just because of what they are designed to do. The Pelican also has a lot in common with the Marine Dropship from Aliens and the Imperial Guard Valkyrie. It also looks like a more interesting version of the Tau Orca dropship.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 23:49   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Quote:
I don't mean to be rude man, but I'm curious, what relevance to the thread does this have?
He means that both can be beaten by a tripped out Space Marine (stabbing at both Master Chief and Games Workshop fanboyism at the same time). At least I think that's what he means...

Anyways, I find that the only real similarity between the two armies are that they exclusively use hovercraft and are cooler than their enemies...probably just me though.
Old 22 May 2007, 00:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Quote:
Quote:
He means that both can be beaten by a tripped out Space Marine (stabbing at both Master Chief and Games Workshop fanboyism at the same time). At least I think that's what he means...

Anyways, I find that the only real similarity between the two armies are that they exclusively use hovercraft and are cooler than their enemies...probably just me though.
No, the covenant have the scarab, which is probably the closet tau will get to a true 'titan'(Titans walk, the flying fortress know as the Manta doesn't quite fill the criteria).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 02:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
So I doubt that it is a conspiracy. The Demiurg from Battlefleet Gothic are a much more obvious steal, in that case from the Bentusi of Homeworld. They will probably need to rewrite that part if GW ever releases them in a wider context.
Pish-posh! Anyone could have sold anyone Ion Cannons...! Oh, Bentu'sin, I see...

I look on it as a heartwarming nod to the ideas being, at their core, not dissimilar. Space-based traders. It's not exactly copyrightable, is it? Perhaps not rewrite as much as simply diversify or expand the idea beyond direct association with the Bentusi, ie you could say "They're a bit like the Bentusi...but..." with alot more after the 'but'. As it stands though, I do agree.