Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Extra Gear that may not have any purpose
Old 20 May 2007, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Shas fro
Default Extra Gear that may not have any purpose

Hey, i guess u could call me a noob, but ive read my codex and i would like to know some opinions on the wargear that may not be so helpfull.
Old 20 May 2007, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Extra Gear that may not have any purpose

Which systems did you have in mind?
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 03:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fail safe, black sun filters, Senser spines
Old 20 May 2007, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In my experience, all the wargear is useful, it's just that some is more universally useful and some is very situationally useful.

For example, if you know you are going to play 6 turns of night fighting, then arming crisis suits and tanks with blacksun filters is a real boon - especially if you plan to stay at range (and who wouldn't with the Tau?) Likewise, taking a blacksun filter with your acute sensored commander attached to a pathfinder squad could more easily light up units across the field and then the markerlights can be used to ignore nightfighting for those non-blacksun filter capable units of your army.

We always like the glancing only rule for moving skimmers, but what is better...what if you knew that there will be thick thick area terrain woods (like over 8" deep) so you put sensor spines on your piranhas. Now they are actually deeper than 6" into woods, not skimming above it, so they can't be targeted directly at all. That's better than glancing only!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is all the wargear can be useful - depending on the terrain/scenario setup. Most people are trying to build tournament-style take all comer/take all scenario lists, so they can't afford to "waste" points on something that might only help in 1 out of 10 scenarios (or fewer).

-Aun'shasta
Livin' in the fish
Old 20 May 2007, 03:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Failsafe -> used in conjunction with farsight bodygourd team, this way the whole unit can fall back and the one with detonator on him can blow up and inflict a lot damage.
Also used as a expensive sunforge -> deep strike then shoot at something (transport preferably or any tank) then assalt the passangers or some squad then use the detonator to inflict more pain.

Filter -> when you need to fill hard point. especially on stealth teams. U may be need drone controllers and the rest will need something, BSF is a cheepest way to do that.

Sensors -> City fights. Thing is, skimmers can be shot at everywhere and always (almost) can be drawn line of sight to. This way you can hide behind the cover and hide from LOS ... As far as I know at least.

---------------------------------------------------------->

The real useless IMO is an ejection system. Beyond fluff reason I see no purpose in it at all.

Also marker drone doesn't really gives me enough reasons to consider it...

***These comments have no warranty or return policy ;D***

I hope I helped.

Walk Tall

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 04:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The ejection system can be used to deny victory points to your opponent or if you are playing some sort of leader assasination battle.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
freezing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 05:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas fro
Fail safe, black sun filters, Senser spines
These are all generally pointless.

Now, if you look hard enough at specific scenarios, you can get uses out of all of these, but for vanilla games, not really.

However, BS filters do come in handy for filling extra slots as cheaply as possible, though.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 05:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Blacksun filters are absolutely essential in games that include night fighting, however most gamers don't use special scenarios that have dusk and dawn in effect or night fighting so it doesn't get used very often. But if you participate in campaigns or special missions than they can prove invaluable.

The failsafe detonator is rather useless.

Sensor spines can be great for deploying squads into cover, however skimmers can just go over said terrain so this is usually not necessary but the capability to move into, out of and through terrain without suffering dangers is quite useful in some cases, however for a general list you can leave it off.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 05:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks
Old 20 May 2007, 05:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
Failsafe -> used in conjunction with farsight bodygourd team, this way the whole unit can fall back and the one with detonator on him can blow up and inflict a lot damage.
Also used as a expensive sunforge -> deep strike then shoot at something (transport preferably or any tank) then assalt the passangers or some squad then use the detonator to inflict more pain.
The latter part of that implies he failsafe can be used at will, which is not the case. That generally will not result in it working, and even if it does, it tends to kill relatively few targets compared to the cost of the suit, which is screwed regardless of what happens.

Quote:
The real useless IMO is an ejection system. Beyond fluff reason I see no purpose in it at all.
I love the idea of it, I really, really do. But, for a commander hardpoint and a buncha points, all you get is a highly situational gimped bennie of a gimped FW. Sure...it delays VP gain, but only until he dies. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Also marker drone doesn't really gives me enough reasons to consider it...
Also true, though Id classify it more as terribly inefficient than without purpose, as it is possible to gain benefits from it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote