Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New tactic? The wagon circle.
Old 19 May 2007, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default New tactic? The wagon circle.

Well, yesterday I was at work, hauling trees for about 6 hours and only using about 1% of my brain for that menial task, during that time I came up with several army lists, AND a possible tactic. This is a cross between FOF and the wagon circles of the Oregon trail, Simply put, you take two or more FOF teams in devilfish, and at least one more, preferably two, devilfish/hammerheads/skyrays, and move close up to your opponents, then form a circle and deploy you firewarriors inside it, you have a unassualtable group of 24 firewarriors quite easily inside 12" of enemy units, and you can just shoot out at them, as long as the vehicles have no more than a 2 3/4'' gap between them, enemy units can't get past them to the firewarriors, in theory. Thought? Issuse? Am I just plain old insane?
Old 19 May 2007, 23:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New tactic? The wagon circle.

That`s an awful lot of tanks tied up in one place, but apart from that, yeah, why not?

Not what I would do; chances that the enemy is assaulting from all sides are rather slim, and IF I would be in that situation, I`d pack up and get the hell outta there.

Besides, while you might be safe from assault, what about shooting? I had more Firewarriors shot out from behind the Fish than assaulted, even after FoF.

So, yeah, might be good. But in the end it`s just a deviation from the "normal" Skimmer Wall, only over an extended period of time.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 23:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Exactly. You could hold out, in theory, forever, or until the enemy kills a fish. This would work very well against enemies that are purely, or close to purely, close combat. Like massive hormogaunt or genestealer hoards, or LaTD mutants. It seems to me very fluffly and practical in both situations.
Old 20 May 2007, 00:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

This is far from a new tactic, I've been doing it myself for several years now. Usually with 3 Devilfish or 2 Fish and a Hammerhead engine to engine in a circle with 20-24 Firewarriors in between, the whole circle just moves 6" a turn with the tanks just slightly more than 6" to get between 2-3 turns of rapid fire and lots of guns into a concentration of enemies. It is absolutely horrible versus large blast weapons, flamers, etc and the enemy can always just shoot past into the rear of a skimmer at the back of the formation but against certain enemies, such as assault squads without flamers, blood claws, etc it can be quite deadly.

However the tactic needs to have the tanks engine to engine, otherwise the enemy can just charge a tank and get into contact with the Firewarriors behind, an enemy can lock more than one squad in close combat in a single charge, if another squad is close enough.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 00:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I think that that depends on whether the "can't get within 1" of something you're not charging" rule applies on a unit or a model basis. If it's model by model then you could have anything less than a 3" gap since they have to be 1" from each tank and their base is about 1" across. If it's on a unit basis then you would need a 1" or less since models can't pass through a gap smaller than their base diameter.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 01:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heh, the ironic thing about this is just how old this idea is

There was a topic called Circle the Wagons on MTT that Spooky put up. The ideas fleshed out there were the predecessors to what is now called the Fish of Fury.

http://groups.msn.com/mechanizedtaut...lete=0&CDir=-2
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Eh? See this is why you metagame veterans need to try to fill us newbs in, otherwise we keep coming up with the same old stuff... :
Old 20 May 2007, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun LeKeth
Eh? See this is why you metagame veterans need to try to fill us newbs in, otherwise we keep coming up with the same old stuff... :
Yea but you darn noobies never sit still long enough to listen to us vets talk .

... or read the stickies...
... or use the search feature...

Those things save us vets from talking quite a bit if people use them.

Anyway many tactics have been around for a very long time, they may just not have picked up speed early on. I remember when the Tau first appeared and so many people tried to play them like guard, and trying to convince them it's not the only way to play Tau was like talking to a wall :. Now it's hard to get people to sit still.

When I first started using my Helios Shas'O people thought I was downright insane...

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 02:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I still think that Helios is not a good way to model your shas'o or shas'el but I would like to hear why you do it that way. I like using Plasma rifles and C.I.B. personally.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 02:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well maybe if you Vets would actually talk interestingly.... (Just joking. We loves our Vets).

It seems a great strategy, just got to hope that my friend's Tau doesn't pick up on it against my new Black Templars. Of course there is the Tank-Hunting-Thunder-Hammering-+1S Termie squad of DOOOOOM to take down skimmers.

Here's something to be afraid of:

5 Assault Terminators, Thunder Hammers
"Suffer Not the Unlcean to Live"
Special Skill:Tank Hunters

So you've got 5 Thunder Hammers hitting at S10, charging into CC with 3 attacks each. They only hit on a 6+, but if you forgot to move that is 15 Railgun attacks.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote