Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights in a Mechanised Army?
Old 19 May 2007, 14:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Markerlights in a Mechanised Army?

Is it worth putting markerlights in a Fire Warrior squad if that unit has a Devilfish transport? I'm inclined to think it's not a good idea, as the markerlight is a heavy weapon, which would negate a lot if the usefulness of having a transport. In a largely mechanised army, would it be a much better idea to put the markerlights in a different unit such as Pathfinders or on a Skyray?

Thanks,

Dave.
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 15:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Markerlights in a Mechanised Army?

I don't use markerlights at all in my fully mechanized army. I've found that the more stuff I have just sitting still the more likely I am to lose. So I've gone totally mobile with the exception of my Broadside team.
TheMav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 15:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave
Is it worth putting markerlights in a Fire Warrior squad if that unit has a Devilfish transport? I'm inclined to think it's not a good idea, as the markerlight is a heavy weapon, which would negate a lot if the usefulness of having a transport. In a largely mechanised army, would it be a much better idea to put the markerlights in a different unit such as Pathfinders or on a Skyray?

Thanks,

Dave.
Heya Dave,

I would suggest trying out Pathfinders if you want Markerlights for the whole force. They work pretty well if you're aggressive with your Vehicles, since you can see right through them (skimmers do not block line of sight while mobile). One of the hard realities of mechanized Tau is that the vehicles have a finite fire power limitation and the more you miss, the less you really can do. Increasing that to hit nearly all the time is a huge boon. It also helps you make the most of the turns in which your skimmers actually can fire (and are not stunned).

However, if you're not delighted by the cost of Pathfinders, the SkyRay is a great alternative to keeping things totally mechanized. It gives you 2x BS4 markerlights right away if you want, a great armored hull, it's scoring and you get seeker missiles and a secondary system to boot (SMS is great for it). I will say though, that if you work in a SkyRay it's best to make sure the rest of the army synergizes with it, i.e., make sure to have another markerlight set perhaps. Those 6 missiles will go to waste if you're not using them and the lights are often better used to fuel BS5 hammerheads and other skimmers, or even battlesuits, for example.

Cheers,
Old 19 May 2007, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You could also invest in tetras from FW. Small, relatively cheap marker platforms that can keep up with the tanks
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

For a mechanised force, Sky-rays are the way to go. Even just one will up your performance that little bit, right when you need it. Pathfinders work okay, but they're a bit squishy. Just think of it as getting a warfish from somewhere other than your troop slots.

Fire-warrior teams work okay, but tend to be a bit inaccurate for my tastes.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

this is not my stly of play but id say yes.
my fire worriers stay fairly static after i drop them off but with my markerlight i can launch a missile or my unit can benifit from +1 BS
so why not?

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 00:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I use a unit of Pathfinders in my 2k pt mech list. I find they work fairly well & are pt for pt the cheapest way to get markerlights in the army. Sadly, my usual opponent is (rightfully) fearfull of them, so he usually devotes enough firepower to make sure they don't stay around forever. :P

I've never used Skyray's so I can't comment on their effectivness, but they seem like they'd be a pretty nice mobile markerlight platform, if you're really trying to have no static elements to your army.

~Sunscreem
Old 21 May 2007, 02:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Theres a very simple reason why not...they're heavy. Thus, on the turn you dump them out, it's pretty much worthless.

If you spend the points and wasted turns on getting a DF to get them into position, you want them to be fully effective when they get there. Spending a buncha points on something that wont be helpful until a turn later just isn't effective. You'd be better off supporting with a ML from a skimmer or a static unit, or just spending the points elsewhere.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 15:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm fairly new to the Tau, but the one Heavy that caught my eye was the Skyray. As others have already stated, two networked markerlights and 6 Seekers are nothing to laugh at...

In any case, a Skyray is next on my "to buy" list.

Why not proxy one in your next battle, and see how it works with your style of play?

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 21:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris
I'm fairly new to the Tau, but the one Heavy that caught my eye was the Skyray. As others have already stated, two networked markerlights and 6 Seekers are nothing to laugh at...

In any case, a Skyray is next on my "to buy" list.

Why not proxy one in your next battle, and see how it works with your style of play?
Actually, yes it is, when you have an ionhead that is both cheaper and a superior fire platform.

Not that buying a skyray is bad...you can make a hammerhead out of it, and use the missile bits for terrain/objective markers. They look quite nifty, IMO, and as you dont pay more for a skyray box, go nuts.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote