Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where to go?
Old 18 May 2007, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Where to go?

Hi there, total newbie here with a question for the vets.

I recently bought the Tau Battle Force and am currently in the process of painting them up. This is my first foray into Warhammer 40K, and Tau was the army that I liked the look of, that and almost no one around here (Trondheim, Norway) seem to play them so...

I'm thinking about buying a few add-ons tomorrow, what should I be looking for? I'd like my army to be mobile as I think staying out of close combat will be the key for me to win battles. I've been looking at the Pathfinders and like the concept, but stuff I've read makes me think that they are not very good.

I also like the Broadsides, but they seem very static?
Keep in mind that I'm totally new to 40K, so any advanced tactics stuff will probably have to wait until later. I'm don't want to win every match, but have a fighting chance
Please give me some input here (I'm sure you guys have answered 100 posts like this, but I'm still hoping for some positive feedback).

Best regards
Rune
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Where to go?

Well, theres 3 ways you can play Tau which are static were you have lots of infantry broadsides and pathfinders. Mech were you have all your firewarriors in devilfishes an lots of hammerheads an piranhas. Or you go hybred which is in the middle and this is what i play. its a mix of mech an static and i find it works very well.

if you only have the battle force i would suggest you buy either a hammerhead, some piranhas or maybe a devilfish for you firewarriors.

I dont often take pathfinders i just find them to expensive and to fragile, they are also slow and the devilfish cant use the cout rule.

I do you broadsides though, i find 2 broadsides in a squad with 2 hammerheads give you a great mix of static heavy firepower an mobile firepower.
Old 18 May 2007, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the reply, I might get the box with 3 Piranhas, that will give me some fast attack options right?
And I can't go wrong with another squad of Fire Warriors can I?

Rune
Old 18 May 2007, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey Nano,

xXxt0mxXx (man, I'm gonna hate typing out your name) is right. There are generally 3 basic styles (or extremes) of tau, and for a new player, it's very helpful to try to decide on which style you like. This will give you direction as you build your list, as well as let you get familiar with that aspect of tau.

With that said, i take it from how you're thinking of piranhas, that you're thinking of building mech, right? But regardless, before you get those, or another FW squad, I think you should work on getting some heavy support first. By that I mean either a hammerhead or a broadside. These units will do more to help define your preferred style of play, and will probably more easily fulfill the tank-busting role in your army than piranhas.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks, Floobosaurus

I'll look out for a Broadside or Hammerhead tomorrow (Is it correct that you can build a hammerhead from the Skyray box?).

...and I was thinking, if I get another squad of Fire Warriors, will I need another Devilfish?

Rune

Old 18 May 2007, 20:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whoa, easy there. One step at a time, dude.

Whether or not your next FW squad gets a devilfish or not should depend on whether you decide to go mech or not. It'd be pointless to spend the cash on another DF if you're gonna go static. Just take things slow; get your hammerhead/broadside, finish your army, and get a couple games going first, so you can get a feel for where you want to go.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 23:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok thanks ;D

I get a little carried away here, I'll go for a Broadside or Hammerhead if I can find one.

What about the Skyray box, are there parts to build a Hammerhead included there?

Rune
Old 18 May 2007, 23:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's true that Broadsides don't fit awesomely well into a mech force. However, if you do decide you really like them (they are hands down better then Hammerheads at killing vehicles) you could still use them in your games. You could give them A.S.S's to give them a little mobility, and a static target in an army of mobile ones is going to make a very tempting lure. Use them to draw the opponent's force into ambushes. Kauyon at its best.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You should by a Hammerhead, a box of Firewarriors and a stealth team. In that order. That will round out your force at around a 1000pts.

Play a few games and then decide if you want Static, Hybrid, or Mech. Before you add your next 1000pts, up will also need to decide if you like using Kroot or not. (personally I love them... but other players not so much.)

If you want static...
4-6 Broadsides, Pathfinders/with 'Fish and 2 more Fire Warrior boxes are in order.

If you want Hybrid...
Hammerhead, Piranhas (since you like those) 2 Broadsides and another Crisis Team would be good.

If you want Mech...
2 Hammerheads (or maybe a Skyray), 3-4 Devilfish and 1-2 more Firewarriors and Piranhas

Personally I like a lots of Battle suits, So I play Hybrid...

And my second Tau army (2000pts) is going to be almost all suits.
Old 19 May 2007, 01:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

As has been alluded to, Broadsides have more concentrated, cheaper (per Railgun) usually more durable firepower, with a better chance of hitting. You lose the mobility, though. If you decide on Broadsides (I use three) get convert some Gun Drones to Shield Drones and put four of them on your Broadsides. If you don't, the next time you play Marines they'll be gone by Turn 2 (Lascannons ignore their armour AND instant-kill them). In my mind, Shield Drones are an absolute must for Broadsides. Cover is a good back-up, but not a substitute.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote