Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Generators
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Shield Generators

Are Shield Generators worth it for a Shas'O or would the points be better spent elsewhere? anyones advice appreciated.
For the Greater Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Shield Generators

Yeah, I think its real good as it allows him to survive longer in CC. But IF you know how to use him then theres no real use for it.. I also use a 8 man gun drones squad as BG for my HQ who are keeped behind the gundrones at all times, jumping forth to unleash his deadly salvo and then jumping back behind the drones!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I know some people that swear by thier Shield Generators because they often go kamakazi with their suits (using plasma and fusion blasters) and just pushing foward, punishing the wicked and hopeing their 4+ invulnerable keeps them from eating a missile. It can also help survive a single round of combat, to say, a powerfist if you're lucky. However, if your suit is in close combat, something is horribly wrong and shield generator or not, the suit will lose that combat, so I would not spent 20 points on equipment that will only help me while I'm being smashed in the face in combat... not the place of a suit.

Others pretty much never use the Shield Gens simply because they're really not neccessary. Many suit configurations have them attacking from ranged stances, which gives them plenty of opportunity to move back into cover for a cover save, or out of sight completely.

So I think it really comes down to how you use your suits.

Shield Generators for a Shas'O are not worth it in my opinion, simply because he is an independent character and cannot be fired at so long as he is not the closest model to the enemy firing. The shield gen would just sit and hold 20 points away from the rest of the list, which could be better spent elseware.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic
Yeah, I think its real good as it allows him to survive longer in CC. But IF you know how to use him then theres no real use for it.. I also use a 8 man gun drones squad as BG for my HQ who are keeped behind the gundrones at all times, jumping forth to unleash his deadly salvo and then jumping back behind the drones!
Just a quick point: Drones dont' block LOS last I heard, so really it's only a matter of keeping the drones closer to the enemy than the Commander.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 21 Feb 2005, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Perhaps not, but you can keep him at 30" and behind the drones. Move him 6" forth and firehis weapons. then move back behind the drones and thus keeping him and the drones out of those perky 24" weapons
Old 21 Feb 2005, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll just throw in that I agree overall....shields aren't worth putting on the suits. Any suits.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree fully,

I used to swear by shield generators (once upon a time i'd mount 'em everywhere) but then i got used to how suits work tactically and altered my thinkg, besides that its a 50/50 roll and you'll fail them eventually. Especially if someone knows how to lay a proper firing pattern down stripping drones then laying wast with S8+ weapons, fail one save and boom, lots of points lost.

Save the points and keep moving. Invest the points in a vehicle for some mobile cover O0
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

a Sheild only makes an already expensive HQ even more expensive :-\, bad Idea IMO.

and I swear by fireknife, it is simply the best, range so you never need sheilds and striking power so theres nothing leaft if you would have needed it
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 22 Feb 2005, 16:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll have to agree with the majority of people...sheild generators are not really worth it, but I take them anyway! The 4+ invulerable save is pretty sweet, but if you want protection from lascannons and such, you should really spend the extra 10 points different and get 2 sheild Drones...that way if you fail your save, the drone gets destroyed and your commander is safe!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

yea a comander shouldn't have a sheild gen.
But for broadsides it is a must mine (i only have one at the min.) was easily killed by a stray missile but now that he has a SG he is living alot longer. and anything to keep the rail guns shooting
Closed Thread