Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerhead Secondary Weapons & Wargear
Old 18 May 2007, 11:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Hammerhead Secondary Weapons & Wargear

I'm thinking about taking a Hammerhead in my 750 point force, fitted with a railgun, but I can't decide what secondary weapons to use, burst canons or smart missile system. The way I see it, since the weapon S and AP are the same, it comes down to:

Burst canons: More shots
SMS: Longer range, indirect fire

Also, what wargear to take? I'll definitely take a Multi-tracker, but what about Target Lock, Decoy Launchers and Disruption Pod? Or should I just take all of them, points permitting of course?

Thanks,

Dave.
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 11:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hammerhead Secondary Weapons & Wargear

For 750, I say take the burst cannon. It is cheaper.

As for the gears, take the target lock and the decoy launcher.
doodle bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 11:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Use the search function, it'll help you a lot around here

Regardless of which weapon system you take, you'll want to have the target lock; hammerhead primary and secondary weapons should never be firing at the same target, their purposes are just too different.

Take the decoy launchers. 5 pts to save your 150 pt skimmer 11% of the time is a must.
Disruption isn't all that useful if you deploy properly, so no real need for it.

As for the choice of weapons, I'm quite partial to the SMS, for the longer range and no need for LOS. Burst cannons can be fun, 6 shots and all that jazz, but I play a fair amount of CoD or terrain heavy battles, so the range and no-LOS is what makes it for me.

And a final note: Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay, and play nice

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 12:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Use the search function, it'll help you a lot around here
I did, but searching on the term 'hammerhead' came up with 65 pages of results .

Quote:
Regardless of which weapon system you take, you'll want to have the target lock; hammerhead primary and secondary weapons should never be firing at the same target, their purposes are just too different.
Good point, noted.

Quote:
Take the decoy launchers. 5 pts to save your 150 pt skimmer 11% of the time is a must.
Disruption isn't all that useful if you deploy properly, so no real need for it.
Another good point, also noted.

Quote:
As for the choice of weapons, I'm quite partial to the SMS, for the longer range and no need for LOS. Burst cannons can be fun, 6 shots and all that jazz, but I play a fair amount of CoD or terrain heavy battles, so the range and no-LOS is what makes it for me.
I'm inclined to agree that the SMS might be more useful due to the fact it doesn't need LOS, thus able to hit targets skulking behind a building. I assume the non-LOS deal applies if LOS is blocked by a vehicle for example?

Quote:
And a final note: Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay, and play nice
Thanks .
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 18:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, you definitely want the Multi-Tracker.

Decoy Launchers are helpful too.

If you have the MT (and move faster than 6") then you don't need the Disruption Pod... since you will only take glancing hits any way.

If you take the SMS then take the Target Lock too. Since you will not be firing the SMS at the same target that you're firing you're main weapon at.
Old 18 May 2007, 18:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

MT should be mandatory for Tau tanks, it is the best upgrade avaiable, hands down.

Decoy Launchers are nice, too.

On my Railheads, I prefer the SMS. Sure, it has less shots than the BCs, but indirect fire and the greater range are just too good to pass up.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I take MT and decoy launchers only. TL is a maybe on railheads.

Often, my ionheads are shooting at MEQs. Burst cannons are ok against meqs too, though, so its no real loss in most situations.

Railheads tend to be firing at heavy vehicles at least occasionally, where burst cannons are useless, thats why a TL is more important on them.

Screw SMS. it eats more points and drops my shots by two. I mean, I like the concept of it, but in actual practice, the burst cannons just end up being more efficient, over and over again. Drones are just a horrible choice for the points.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 20:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always use the SMS, TL, DL, and MT combination on my railheads and ionheads. I find that I usually split fire between the main and secondary weapons. The railgun goes after tanks, while the SMS hits infiltrators, and the ion cannon goes after light vehicles/destroyers, while the SMS hits assaulters. DL and MT are pretty much mandatory in my book. The SMS and TL are up to your play style, and what type of opponent you are playing.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Railheads only need burst canons, multi and decoys, to put it bluntly a hammerhead should never ideally be in range to use either BC's or SMS, the decoys and multi allow it to move 12" and shoot, the Hammerhead has one massive advantage over the majority of other tanks 'range' use it.
Keep the Hammerhead at the maximum range possible and minimise the amount of shots it takes, keep it moving and minimise the damage by using the skimmer glancing rule.
I know its sometimes hard to keep at range, but it should be striven for and SMS just tempts the player into getting to close. it tempts you into using it and to use it you have to get within 24" and thats to close with a Hammerhead, to put it bluntly the railgun is far more valuable than SMS and every thing should be done to preserve it, 4 shots at pulse rifle strength is not worth the risk of losing the railgun or even the hammerhead.
Thusly target locks are also a waste of time. 165pts is the maximum you should ever pay for a hammerhead.

SMS and target lock with multi are useful on an Ion head because of its anti infantry role and cheapness, but then again I never use Ions anymore, subs are just as good.
Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 10:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I strongly disagree.

You can`t evade every single shot, and a single "weapon destroyed" - result can seriously damage your Hammerhead. If you only have BCs left, you can either try to use them (which is, cautiously said, quite dangerous), or hide. With the SMS, you can do BOTH.

Besides, just because "something" is in 24"-SMS range doesn`t mean it can harm my Hammerhead - maybe it is behind terrain, or a normal CC unit.

I ALWAYS use SMS on my Railhead, with enormous success. The Railgun fires at distant targets (tanks, etc), whereas the SMS deals with closer threats - Assault squads, Scouts, whatever - be it invisible or not. The big advantage of the SMS is that you can park terrain between the Head and close threats, while you neutralize a distant one.

Maybe this link describes best what I have in mind:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/ac...LoSAttack.html

A final word. The SMS is one of the best weapons avaiable to us. Sure, it is twice the price of two BCs and has fewer shots. But the ability to target a unit that can`t be seen by your Head (and which, likewise, can`t draw a LoS back) is priceless. The fact that it ignores the rules for Nightfight is just the icing on the cake.

And of course, it also sends out a strong psychological message to the opponent: "You can run, but you cannot hide. The Tau will find you, and bring you the Greater Good..." ^^

On my Ionheads, I usually field the BCs, though - 9 shots (6 from the BCs, 3 frrom the Ion Cannon) at 18" are just too good to pass up, and can put a dent in nearly every unit - although, of course, you still have to be careful.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote