Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Art of War
Old 17 May 2007, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Art of War

Below are quotes from Sun Tzu's Art of War.
With just one application to Tau each.

I'm sure all you veteran Tau players can add to this list. Pick a quote from Sun Tzu and expound upon it and/or give examples from your game experience.

Therefore good warriors cause others to come to them, and do not come to others.
This is why we play Tau in the first place.

Therefore those who skillfully move their opponents make formations that opponents are sure to follow, give what opponents are sure to take.
See the Kaunyon maneuver in the original codex.

Military action involves deception. Even though you are competent appear incompetent. Though effective appear ineffective.
Intentionally have gaps in your lines that will appear as weakness. Then have a fast unit (Vespids) or deep strike unit (stealth) ready to collapse the gap.

What encourages opponents to come of their own accord is the prospect of gain. What discourages opponents from coming is prospect of harm.
Offer him something. Give him the opening to deepstrike his Elites, that way you know where he will go. But have a plan in place to swoop in and rapidfire the deepstrikers.

…Skillful warriors first made themselves invincible then watched for vulnerability in their opponents.
Tau are uniquely able to do this. SMS do not need Line-of–sight. Crisis suits do the Tau-two-step. Stealth teams are hard targets. The more you can deny LOS the better your chances to win.

If you can strike few with many, you will thus minimize the number of whom you do battle.
If you can deny LOS effectively then use speed to place 2-3 units of fire (Fish-O-Fury or Infiltrated Kroot combined with Infiltrated Stealth) on a single enemy unit you will be very effective.

…good warriors prevail when it is easy to prevail.
This is why people either love or hate Kroot. You have to use them at the right time. Don’t charge Kroot across the table at 10 terminators. Whittle them down with Plasma/Fusion Fire; then assault the 4 that are left.

Making armies able to take on opponents without being defeated is a matter of unorthodox (surprise) and orthodox methods (direct attack.)
When you build your army list think of ways you can use units in unorthodox ways. One unit that surprises your enemy can go along way toward victory. I once assaulted a Wraith Lord with a drone squad. Of course they did not win, but they tied him up for 2 turns.

So it is said that if you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles…[/size][/size]
Know the other Army lists. Know the weakness of the other lists and exploit them. Now your strengths and use them. Fire allocation is vital to Tau survival. Plasma fire on Eldar Guardians is wasteful, but Plasma fire on Scorpions is very effective.

Victory can be discerned but not manufactured.
Pay attention to how your opponent plays. Watch during his turns and determine his plan. Take what he gives you; then lure him to give more without forcing yourself into his plan.
Old 17 May 2007, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau Art of War

I like. Anyone know where I could find all the fluffy TAU principles in the art of war? As described in Imperial armour Vol3: Taros campain. ?
Old 17 May 2007, 22:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I left a squad of F.W. on a hill and a I.G. player Deep struck a squad of Storm Troops right in front of him. He was so confident they would die he fired at them and one of them died. Next turn I deep struck C. suits and killed 5 of them and the F.W. killed 5 wiping out the squad.

Military action involves deception. Even though you are competent appear incompetent. Though effective appear ineffective.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 16:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox_111
I like. Anyone know where I could find all the fluffy TAU principles in the art of war? As described in Imperial armour Vol3: Taros campain. ?
No but that sounds interesting.