Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2005, 04:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Armoured Mobil Army list for review

1250 Pts - Tau Roster - Tau Armoured Cav

1 Shas'o @ 135 Pts
Hard Wire Multi-tracker; Shield Generator; Plasma Rifle; Missle Pod

1 Shas'vre @ 196 Pts
Upgrade to Shas'vre; Upgrade to Team Leader; Multitracker; Hard Wire Target Lock; Add Crisis Suit; Add Crisis Suit; Burst Cannon; Missle Pod
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ [61] Pts
Multitracker; Burst Cannon; Plasma Rifle
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ [59] Pts
Multitracker; Burst Cannon; Missle Pod

4 Stealth Suits @ 165 Pts
Add Team Leader; Burst Cannon (x4)
1 Team Leader @ [45] Pts
Burst Cannon; Markerlight

12 Fire Warriors @ 200 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x12); Add Devilfish Transport
1 Devilfish Transport @ [80] Pts
Pair of Gun Drones; Burst Cannon
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

12 Fire Warriors @ 200 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x12); Add Devilfish Transport
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

6 Pathfinders @ 204 Pts
Pulse Carbine (x3); Rail Rifle (x3); Add Shas'ui; Add Devilfish Transport
1 Shas'ui @ [22] Pts
Pulse Carbine
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 150 Pts
Railgun; Targeting Array; Two Busrt Cannons

Total Roster Cost: 1250
Old 21 Feb 2005, 05:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Armoured Mobil Army list for review

SparkeyG:

Your list is complete and competent for competition, but I think that there are a little point sinks here and there, and some places that could be a little more efficient at what they're meant for, but at the 1250 level, it has what it needs so far:

HQ:

He's a solid character, but I'd have to advise the Shas'El instead without the Shield Generator simply because of the amount of points you can save doing this, and still using him to maximum effect as an independent character. Also, as a loner, he's perfect for spotting and busting transports with his missile pods and plasma, with a good ballistic skill to boot. Suits tend to shine when they have a specific function, although versatility can win the day too of course (and versatility may be more important here considering the low number of suits). So maybe go down to the Shas'El and drop the shield generator for the points.

Elites:

A lot of points are here. Your XV8 team is all mixed up with weapons. You have all burst cannons in this squad for the close range hits and two missile pods and a single plasma rifle. I tend to think that burst cannons are best used on stealthsuits and firewarriors, since a S5 weapon is too common in all other squads. I would move towards more efficient versatility (such as plasma and missile pods) or just total dedication (meaning a twinlinked weapon of choice). It will ultimately save a horde of points and give you better odds of getting these points back. I would go for twinlinked missile pods with target locks in this case. They can pump into armour and separate their firepower to multiple targets should they wish to. Otherwise, the good old plasma/missile pod/multitracker is a more solid choice.

I think your suits are really hurting themselves with this price. Suits with markerlights are best left at minimums as they won't do anything except sit still and untouched the entire game trying to light targets. A 3 man squad with the light would save a ton of points and be just as effective. Otherwise, I'd lose the light and send them to the lines to soften squads for your firewarriors to mop up. That's a lot of burst cannon fire that will not see enemy bodies... so use that to your advantage and limit your suits or put them to use and spray your foe with them. A 3x man squad with markerlight staying around 30~36 inches away will almost never be touched. But overall I think these guys are far better killing things for you rather than painting targets for scattered high powered weapons (such as a few missile pods that you have, or a single railgun, which already hit relatively well).

Troops:

Solid squads in Fish. However, where are the Shas'ui here? They are quite vital considering you have no Ethereal. If these guys ever break and run, they may never come back. With the saved points you have from above, you can almost afford more units in this organizational slot. Also those fish need decoy launchers to ensure they stay in the air.

Fast Attack:

Pathfinders are an all or nothing squad really. I would either give them full squad size and full upgrades, for the shas'ui and bonding. Expensive squads need care, or a simple failed leadership will have a 200+ point squad falling off a board edge somewhere. If you're going for the railrifles, go all the way. Otherwise, scrap them for another full firewarrior squad in a devilfish for the same points.

Heavy Support:

This is your only railgun, so guard it well. This tank really needs two upgrades: multi-tracker and decoy launchers. This will keep your tank alive, and still able to fire each turn. As it is, you can't move very fast and can be dropped too quickly should you be hit and in that case, you can be penetrated more easily. The small investment is well worth it. Plus, with the multi-tracker, should your railgun be destroyed... you can still move fast and dump burst cannons into squads without being stuck moving slow to fire those guns.

Your list is fine, but I think if you tweak how you spent the points on your units, you could hammer out a far more efficient killing machine
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

just a few balance issues, otherwise good job.

HQ
he needs to be an 'El, points are skimpy in mobile lists and 'O's devour points, a plain fireknife 'El is my ticket or you could bother w/ a generator, but as you have a Crisis team it isnt nececcary

Elites
you have stealths and BC on the Crisis? bad Idea, thats far too many BC when the matchup you are intrinsically weak in is marines, go fireknife, it keeps some of the BC's rate fo fire and gives you PR to shore up the marines matchup

Troops
Drop the carbs, they are detrimental to the FoF's consistency and really dont do anything, the extra 2 shots are better for you, and get the squads a shas'ui, on Ld7 return fire under the fish will kill them.

FA
drop the pathfinders, they arent worth it, you dont have seekers and RR are inferior to Plas, crisis. Swap them for a HH and if you need to have a FA for composition, take gundrones, much less of a points sink, and the HH gives you tankbusting redundancy (and the drones can pitch in in a pinch) otherwise your tankbusting relies on one railgun as Malveaux said.

HS
your getting another HH, and the HH needs "the dynamic duo" of Tau, MT and DL, otherwise it goes down real quick, and with only 2 HH thats not a good idea.

squeezing all that in moght be a challenge but it's worth it.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

HQ
You should drop the shield generator, if you change him to an 'el, twinlink one of his weapons (missile for vehicle sniping, plasma for anti-marine)

Elites
Id stick to plasma+missile, fusion+missile or fusion+plasma. And of course multitracker.
Markerlight on a stealth? heavy weapons just dont work on them, gundrones can work, but they are just fine without an upgrade.

Troops
Carbs are great if you want to keep a squad mobile, without a fish, but since you have a fish, id drop the carbs.

Fast
it looks like you only have them because of the railrifles, and that isnt worth it in such lowpoint games, i would scrap them and get another crisis suit (and thus change them into 2 squads of 2). Also, this should free up enough pts for another hammerhead.

Heavy
this baby needs som systems, multitracker + decoy launchers, and maybe a distruption pod if you have the pts.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I just feel I'd better respond to abemad, dont TL 'El's weapons, BS4 is more than enough, and 2x BS4 weapons gives a better chance of a kill than 1 BS4TL.
(it is the other way armound on BS3 though)
go here
Old 21 Feb 2005, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, after reading these ideas and mulling it over myself, I'm posting a revision and soem replies.

First, the only carbs are in the PF squad, because they don't get rulse rifle lovin'. The PF's are in for two reasons; there to establish the initial beach head for FoF, and for balance, I don't think gun drones would do it for this.

I dropped down to an 'el, but kept the SG to offer protection if and when he get's into assault. It happens often in the circle I play with.

So here's the revised list
[hr]
1250 Pts - Tau Roster - Unnamed

1 Shas'el @ 110 Pts
Hard Wire Multi-tracker; Shield Generator; Plasma Rifle; Missle Pod

1 Crisis Battlesuit @ 195 Pts
Multitracker; Add Crisis Suit; Add Crisis Suit; Plasma Rifle; Missle Pod
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ [65] Pts
Multitracker; Plasma Rifle; Missle Pod
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ [65] Pts
Target Lock; Plasma Rifle; Missle Pod

5 Stealth Suits @ 150 Pts
Burst Cannon (x5)

11 Fire Warriors @ 215 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11); Add Shas'ui; Add Devilfish Transport
1 Shas'ui @ [20] Pts
Pulse Rifle
1 Devilfish Transport @ [85] Pts
Pair of Gun Drones; Decoy Launchers; Burst Cannon
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

11 Fire Warriors @ 215 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11); Add Shas'ui; Add Devilfish Transport
1 Shas'ui @ [20] Pts
Pulse Rifle
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

7 Pathfinders @ 199 Pts
Pulse Carbine (x4); Rail Rifle (x3); Add Devilfish Transport
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 165 Pts
Railgun; Targeting Array; Multi-tracker; Two Busrt Cannons; Decoy Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1249

Old 21 Feb 2005, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

sorry, you edited the FoF squad so the drones carbs are a separate entry, it looks like the squad has carbs.

and PF should go, the extra HH would be better, but if you cant be swayed then its fine.
go here
Closed Thread