Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis with t/l Plasmas - Use in 750 points?
Old 17 May 2007, 13:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Crisis with t/l Plasmas - Use in 750 points?

Hi all . I found this forum yesterday, as I'm looking to put together a Tau force. Some friends and I are getting back in to 40K after a long lay off - we want to start relatively small, and have decided that 750 points is a good starting point.

My question is, in a 750 point army, is it worth using a Crisis commander figure with twin linked plasma rifles? The reason I ask is that I have got the Forgeworld Shas'o R'myr figure as I think it's one of the best looking Crisis figures available, and I was thinking about using it as my commander (i.e. as a normal Crisis commander with twin plasma rifles and a shield generator, not as the Shas'o R'myr special character himself). Or should I just use the Crisis suit from the Battleforce box set I also have and kit it out with a plasma rifle and missile pod?

Thanks,

Dave.
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 15:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Crisis with t/l Plasmas - Use in 750 points?

If you do use him as a commander, then only make him a Shas'El as a Shas'O would would be a waste. TL BS 5 is great if you have to hit EVERY time, but with BS 5 you only miss on a 1 and that extra hard point can better be spent on other toys... like missile pods =^.^=
Old 17 May 2007, 16:07   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums!

O'R'Myr is awesome because his weapon doesn't count as twin-linked, but has its own stats. So if your opponents are okay with it, by all means use him. I actually prefer him to Farsight.

But for a 750-point game, I would just build a stock Fireknife Shas'el (Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker). You can always use it as a secondary HQ or Elite choice once you start playing larger games.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 16:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
But for a 750-point game, I would just build a stock Fireknife Shas'el (Pulse Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker). You can always use it as a secondary HQ or Elite choice once you start playing larger games.
don't you mean plasma rifle?

i chose a firesurge (missile pod, fusion blaster, multi tracker) on a Shas'o. knocked out 1 8-creature termagaunt squad and most of an 8-creature hormagaunt squad.

that battle report is on the main site, under Tau battle reports as "tau vs tyranids 500pts". nice turn by turn pics too. have a look.

PS: should mention deathrain (TL missile pod + whatever you fancy) is popular, and also how i outfitted my 2nd crisis suit, while my top suit has cyclic ion blaster, plasma rifle and shield generator with HW MT and other survivability gadgets.
Old 17 May 2007, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks .

Quote:
O'R'Myr is awesome because his weapon doesn't count as twin-linked, but has its own stats. So if your opponents are okay with it, by all means use him. I actually prefer him to Farsight.
Aha, didn't realise that as I don't have my own copy of the Imperial Armour book he's in. Better get a copy I guess .

Quote:
But for a 750-point game, I would just build a stock Fireknife Shas'el (Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker). You can always use it as a secondary HQ or Elite choice once you start playing larger games.
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I've got a standard battle suit in the battle force box, so I can use that.

Dave.
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 19:32   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave

Aha, didn't realise that as I don't have my own copy of the Imperial Armour book he's in. Better get a copy I guess .
See if you can borrow a copy from someone first, as it is a little expensive just for the rules. But Longknife is an awesome character. He has one of the best Invulnerable saves in the game in close-combat (perhaps the best), and his suit has the infantry equivalent of a flechette discharger. So against little gribblies, he can get in a lot of damage before blows are even struck, and even units with Power Weapons struggle to bring him down. His regular close-combat attacks are not as powerful as Farsight's, but his ranged attack is better.
Old 17 May 2007, 21:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave

See if you can borrow a copy from someone first, as it is a little expensive just for the rules. But Longknife is an awesome character. He has one of the best Invulnerable saves in the game in close-combat (perhaps the best), and his suit has the infantry equivalent of a flechette discharger. So against little gribblies, he can get in a lot of damage before blows are even struck, and even units with Power Weapons struggle to bring him down. His regular close-combat attacks are not as powerful as Farsight's, but his ranged attack is better.
Flechette discharger wound on 4+, wich is super deadly in Close Combat. I'm so making my custom Shas'O with that. All my friend fear my Devilfish in CC because of the nasty flechettes.
Old 17 May 2007, 22:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can't just throw fletchettes on any old suit, its only permitted on R'myr. A shame, too.

However, as per FAQ, they only go off once, making him less effective in the long run.

His shooting is solid, though. For normal Shas'Os/Shas'els, I suggest not twin linking plasma, as your BS is already quite high, so it's mostly a waste of points.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 22:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr

However, as per FAQ, they only go off once, making him less effective in the long run.
Wait, which FAQ is this? I did not realize it was a one-shot weapon.
Old 17 May 2007, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi I'm new to these forums too ;D. In smaller battles Ive been playing recently Ive found my best HQ is a fusion blaster and plasma rifle Shas'o with iridium armour and 2 shield drones.

He can only fire one weapon a turn, but he becomes indestructible, and capable of taking on just about anything.

Last time i used him he took out 5 grey knights a dreadnought and a special character HQ (cant remember name) without taking a wound. (then i ran away to stop close combat).
False god is offline   Reply With Quote