Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Tau Army = BENCHED
Old 17 May 2007, 05:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My Tau Army = BENCHED

Thats right folks, some 7000+ points of Tau have been put in my display case.

Hammerheads, Sky Rays, Devilfish, Enough crisis suits to max out a farsight list, stealth suits, 7 squads of fire warriors, vespids, kroot, sniper drones, pathfinders, Shadowsun, Aun'Va, O'Shovah, O'Ry'myr, even tetras and FW crisis commanders. All of them are now sitting in my case giving me forlorn looks.

Why have I done this travesty? I love the army, I love the fluff, and I will recommend the army until the day i die. I spent almost a grand on the army itself too.

I have done this because the army (and me by association) get no respect by games workshop or its players. I simply cannot bring myself to accept that GW gives two damns about the Tau army.

No power weapons (when every other army in the game is full of them, I don't care if its 'not the tau way of war', I should still be able to use them even if its a special equipment only used by a Shas'O)

No squad heavy weapons (when every other army in the game has them OR can take a monstrous creature as a troop choice OR can glance any vehicle on a 6 OR can take a troop choice with fleet and rending)

No Indirect fire templates (when MOST other armies have them)

No Sniper units (I mean SNIPER, as in 2+ to hit 4+ to wound)

Massively expensive elites and heavy support that die instantly to any ST8 weapon in the game. (or ST 6 when it comes to stealth suits)

A troop choice that has a very bad joke of an armor save (Kroot), and now die even in their fieldcraft save thanks to the dark angels stealing the Tau's template weapon. Also the best unit in the squad prevents infiltrate, rendering the squad virtually useless.

HQ's that are nothing more then 'upgraded' elites.

Special characters that are a VERY bad joke (Aun'Va, Shadowsun)

Useless HQ units (ethereals)

The scores of useless equipment...

Some may say "oh he is just a sore loser," and you may be right. But I wonder how much one needs to lose in a row before he starts to wonder why.

What am i going to do now?

Probably play more Aeronautica Imperialis, where the Tau were not TOO horribly reamed, and start an all female space marine chapter to annoy space marine purists.

Old 17 May 2007, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My Tau Army = BENCHED

You cannot compare what you have with what others have. I could drone all on out on how my IG should have bolter's, and how this should have that. Tau have what they have for a reason. Perhaps it is not the best army for you. If you want the power weapons and indirect ordnance why not play marines? They seem to have everything you desire.

Also, what brought this on now after a good long time since the last update? I'd expect something like this at a new codex release but not this far between.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 05:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
You cannot compare what you have with what others have. I could drone all on out on how my IG should have bolter's, and how this should have that. Tau have what they have for a reason. Perhaps it is not the best army for you. If you want the power weapons and indirect ordnance why not play marines? They seem to have everything you desire.

Also, what brought this on now after a good long time since the last update? I'd expect something like this at a new codex release but not this far between.
No, no, IG can have bolters, they're in the armory. Only on what has armory access, granted, but bolters, storm bolters, bolt pistols and heavy bolters are available among a decent amount of troops. Bad example.

Power Weapons? Seriously, everyone has them. Even orks have em.

The answer to everything is not "play marines if you want it all"...or at least, it shouldn't be. That just leads to everyone playing different colors of marines. Wait, that pretty much describes 60-70% of players.

Im willing to wager that he picked up the new codex and happily tried all the new options thoroughly before giving up on them, unlike the folks that scream nerf within seconds of reading a new codex. I wish more people would do that. Note that he definitely likes a lot of the army aspects. I agree, from a "winning games" standpoint, it's simply a lot easier to do with other armies. Half the reason I play tau is I like them from a fluff/aesthetic standpoint.

I don't personally think tau = losing...although I'll admit that your win ratio varies excessively depending on 1. opponents army, and 2. point scale.

I rarely lose at 500pts, but wins at 3k+(assuming a single force org chart) are very few and far between. The tau army simply doesn't scale terribly well.

Let me know if you're dumping any of that stuff, ok? Especially if you're looking for a trade. Shame to see that much tau going to waste.

In all honesty...it's not an imperium force, Im not surprised GW doesn't really care about it. I mean, DE and orks are like red-headed stepchildren. And necrons have some severe issues with lack of options.

Instakill on stealth suits is kinda irrelevant, but I feel your pain on crisis teams. A 3 lascannon squad can tear right through a three man team that cost a ton.

And I completely can't argue the HQ option. Right now, the only viable one really is the stock XV-8. Sure, others can disagree...but it's the only HQ fielded by the vaaaast majority of tau players.

In the interest of annoying SM players, I too field a small SM army(2500pts or so), including my locally infamous gay space marine squad. Rainbows, glitter-covered power armor, a pink space marine with flower insignia, etc. Anything to differentiate from, and annoy the heck out of, the fanbois.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 05:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay..Yeah bad example. Pretty much what I mean (vaugly) is why not try to make the best of what you have. Though I agree I was at a similar point as you in which I said "damnit no more" and stopped playing that army. I wish you the best of luck in what you choose next.
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 17 May 2007, 05:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am not comparing them to what others have. I am disliking at what they lack.

Guardsmen don't need bolters because they can have heavy weapons in their squads, and the best tank in the game as heavy support (not to mention a bazillion variants and forgeworld models)

Besides, I started on the new codex. I liked the old codex better, at least there crisis suits could not be instant killed, kroot hounds were an independent squad, and ethereals didn't suck so bad.

They do have what they have for a reason: Because GW hates them. They don't want a race that was meant to be a publicity stunt to play off of the anime/giant humanoid mecha to get a quick buck before 'Dark eldar/Squatting' the army. Now that they became popular, they are trying to make them too difficult to play.

If the new codex (Which won't be out for another four years) is worth it, maybe I will play tau again, its not like i am selling my stuff.
Old 17 May 2007, 05:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My "annoy the fanboy" list is a chapter of female space marines.

That is certainly going to annoy the crap out of plenty of people.
Old 17 May 2007, 05:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I personally get beaten by the Tau all the time..I am sure that GW wouldn't purposefully make an army too hard to play, that'd be ridiculous. Plus it has been stated that they will never cut out one of their armies, so It'd be a bad move to make the army nerfed.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 17 May 2007, 05:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tell that to the Squats,

Or the dark eldar in fact. You are aware that you cannot buy dark eldar anywhere retail, and that their codex has not been slated for remake yet.
Old 17 May 2007, 06:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Please don't double-post.

Anyway, your point about the Tau being constantly neglected by GW. That may be true. Yes, the special characters suck, and we don't have proper ordnance or power weapons, but who cares? We have markerlights and large blast weapons that can be fired even after moving 12". We have jet packs! We have close to the best tanks in the game. We have strength 5 basic weapons! We have a lot of things that other armies don't have, which is what makes us unique.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

While I agree with 90% of what you said, Yaifrog, I must dissagree with just one: we do not have anywhere NEAR the best tank in the game. We have a very efficient tank, but keep in mind that a single weapon destroyed result on a railhead deprives us of our only significant weapon (meaning that ANY glancing hit has a 50%+ chance of rendering the vehicle useless/dead), which generally makes the tank no better than a Devilfish for the rest of the game.

#1 non ForgeWorld tank in the game is the Monolith. Land Raider is somewhere in the top 5. A shooty-fex would (in my opinion) actually rank higher than a hammerhead.

That said, I'm sorry to see another Tau player go, but I wish you luck. I personally have fallen head over heels for the Kroot Mercenaries, and actually have more kroot models than I do Tau. Their mix of stealth, enhancements, and high attack/low defense makes gameplay fun, sometimes random (It's tough learning to play without vehicles, but it really messes with your opponent's mind to see a sea of T3 after he paid all those points for lascannons and missle launchers). A three-thousand point list could net you more than 275 models, and that's without busting a single force-org chart :P. I've just finished modeling my shaper council tonight, in fact. The lure of more "well-rounded" armies is very great, and even I must admit that after a while the Tau just get repetetive.

Best wishes.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote