Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Kill Team FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2005, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Kill Team FAQ

As a new Kill Team player (as most of us are ) I and other people have been confused on what a Tau Kill Team is made up of.* I have asked questions as well and have had mediocre answers towards the questions.* So I made up this FAQ with my questions and have interviewed my friends/family, GW employees and have even asked the GW official “Roolzboyz” and came up answers that were around the same area.* I took from what I learned and applied it to this FAQ. Enjoy!

Note: In order to understand this more thoroughly, it is best if you have read or own the Warhammer 40,000 Rule Book on Kill Teams as I will be talking about Kill Team Immutable/Mutable Laws and the like.* Please do not ask what the rules are as this is a FAQ and answers section.

Units:

Can I take...
…Crisis Suits/Broadsides in my Kill Team (KT)?
Absolutely not!* As stated in the rules they cannot be taken due to the fact of their size and the number of wounds a single model has. Also it is not logical to send a proud and bulky warrior on a reconnaissance/sabotage mission for he is too important to lose!

…Stealthsuits?
Stealthsuits are allowed to be taken in a KT.* But be warned, you will be breaking an Immutable law (the Burstcannon has 3 shots/turn) and must pay the consequences.
The Stealthsuit also loses its special rule for spotting distances if it is in a group that is not entirely made of Stealthsuits (and break one of the Immutable rules like 4 times!).* It also will lose its jetpack ability as well if it is in a group with 1 model without a jetpack (eg. a KT of 4 Stealthsuits and 2 Drones will have their jetpack ability).

…Pathfinders?
Pathfinders are allowed. The free move before the game is not allowed if there is a model in the KT that is not a Pathfinder.* Thus the only way to have the free move before the game is too have a KT made entirely of Pathfinders.
As for their obligation to have the Devilfish, it is removed as the KT rules state.

…Kroot/Hounds/Krootox?
Yes! By all means! I have found that a majority of Tau KT are made up of Kroot Mercs. But be warned, if the squad is not entirely made up of Kroot, then the field craft ability is no longer valid.
Edit: Also, if you take a Kill Team that is made up of Kroot Warriors, Kroot Hounds, and Krootox, they count as a single unit and they do not get penalized for being made up of different units in the Mutable Laws.

…Hammerhead/Devilfish?
I don’t know why that is even here! No vehicles allowed!

…Fire Warriors/Human Axillaries?
Yes. Again, that was a silly question…

Wargear:

Do Markerlights count as the one Heavy Weapon choice?
No. After much discussion with GW employees and the Roolzboyz, it has been stated that markerlights are a piece of equipment that requires the user to stand still in order to use it.* As it causes no damage, it is not considered a “traditional weapon”.

Can I fire a Markerlight with another weapon with a Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker?
Yes.* Even though it states in the codex: “The multi-tracker enables the wearer to fire two weapon systems in the same turn”; the Markerlight is not considered a “traditional weapon” (one that causes damage) but it is still, none of the less, considered a “weapon system”.

Can I equip a Pathfinder with a Rail Rifle?
Yes and it will count towards the one Heavy Weapon choice. So that no one asks again, the Rail Rifle Rules are found here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/railrifle/* Please feel free to yell at anyone who asks "Where can I get the RR rules?" >

Can I equip a Pathfinder with a Hard-Wired Target Lock Interface (HWTLI)?
You may equip a Pathfinder with a HWTLI only when it has the Rail Rifle upgrade.

When I take a Hard-Wired Drone Controller and 2 Drones, do the Drones count as another unit taken in the KT (eg 11 FW, 1 Shas’ui with Hw DC and 2 Drones)?
No. As the drones are taken as a armoury upgrade, it does not count as another unit, just another piece of equipment on the Shas’ui.

Do I have to follow the unit restrictions?
That is a KT Mutable law. It is better if you do, but you do not have to.* If you don’t, you’ll just have to pay the consequences (see Rule Book).

Now that you have the basics covered, I’d bet your itching to get a Tau KT together.* Just be sure to read and re-read the Rule Book, for some games you cannot field a KT army if you break a Immutable law, so be careful.* But most of all have fun!

If you have a Tau Kill Team question that you don’t see here, just post it and I’ll answer it!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Tau Kill Team FAQ

What can I say--awesome!

I have been itching to put together a kill team, but have been totally bogged down by the Laws. I don't like breaking laws just to make my hardcore group of elite kill team artists. But in a Tau army, it's almost impossible to make a balanced out kill team without busting those laws simply because the basic units do not have access to weapon upgrades or combat upgrades. Huge limitations in an already limited world, eh? Pathfinders almost seem like the perfect candidates for kill team. As they can actually get some weapon upgrades as well as wargear drones, but this won't add up to our max points limit or model limits. So we'd have to break a law! Firewarriors would work, having access to the number of models and gundrones as an upgrade (for combat purposes), though they'll hit their squad size limit before their points. Stealthsuits are out of the question as multiple of these break way too many laws (plus, they just seem too powerful to me for this). Kroot on the other hand are cheap and useful and are great for fluff (being stealthy warriors). But one has to break laws again, to mix units. I see pathfinders and kroot as being a great unit to mix. A railrifle for a single good punch gun, some pulse carbines for the assault fire action, and the kroot for the cheap rapidfire and combat bodies. Plus great fluff can be written about an elite kill squad of pathfinders with their best kroot carnivores that viciously eat all evidence Though Tau can get away with a lot of things, thanks to being fearless under killteam rules (no need for bonding or shas'ui is the idea, saving lots of points, but not having any guns to spend it on!).

So here's my question so far... let's assume I take pathfinders as my base unit, with their upgrades, which would be a shas'ui and the railrifle for my single heavy. I'm stuck at 8 models here, unless I take drones. So let's assume I limit my pathfinders to only 6 models and then take Kroot as the filler. This is breaking a law of course, but only one law. This allows me 6 pathfinders, a railrifle, and 6 kroot warriors, but I'm still not using all my points (though that's not always a bad thing, it just means I'm missing out on a lot of things that I could have taken, such as in other armies). So as for my question, what can we do here? Without busting tons of laws, I can only see myself with a full pack of pathfinders with upgrades and drones, or a full team of firewarriors that do not even use up their points and cannot take useful wargear.

Thoughts?
Old 21 Feb 2005, 08:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau run into problems with KT simply b/c of the lack of access to unit upgrades and wargear for unit leaders. Flamers are simply awesome in KT games but those are out too. The one thing going for tau is pulse technology b/c everything is St 5.

I don't have the rules in front of me but... what about adding a shaper? He's expensive so that will eat up the extra points really quickly. I seem to recall that multiple wound models are a no-no too though. Otherwise it looks like it's grenades for everyone.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Waldo_Pepper:

Yeap, totally. It's really disappointing that Tau can't go as in depth as some other armies (such as say... some slaneeshi possessed chaos marines full of fun, or a normal squad of marines, or chaos marines, with all their nice upgrades and champs with real wargear to buy, etc). Even sisters can get some goodies and champs and stuff, and guard too. The only army with less killteam ability than Tau are the Necrons, but even then, they can take some nasty powerful units (like immortals).

Kroot shapers are definately out, 3 wounds is a big no-no. But worse off, a shaper doesn't even get a power weapon. It makes me simply want to run a Kroot merc list by itself to gain access to some abilities other than useless leadership upgrades and grenades that won't be used that are over priced. I'm kind of disapointed in the Kill Team for Tau... I'd love to put together one for many different armies, but I'm stuck on Tau since it's so plain.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 17:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
So here's my question so far...* let's assume I take pathfinders as my base unit, with their upgrades, which would be a shas'ui and the railrifle for my single heavy.* I'm stuck at 8 models here, unless I take drones.* So let's assume I limit my pathfinders to only 6 models and then take Kroot as the filler.* This is breaking a law of course, but only one law.* This allows me 6 pathfinders, a railrifle, and 6 kroot warriors, but I'm still not using all my points (though that's not always a bad thing, it just means I'm missing out on a lot of things that I could have taken, such as in other armies).* So as for my question, what can we do here? Without busting tons of laws, I can only see myself with a full pack of pathfinders with upgrades and drones, or a full team of firewarriors that do not even use up their points and cannot take useful wargear.

Thoughts?
Aahhhh...the reasuring sound of fear when you say that you have a Rail Rifle in you Tau Kill Team!
lol...anyways...looking to eat up points as well, eh? I've found that hard to do as well since the Kroot Shaper is a no-no and the like...grenades seem like a logical choice, but what is the point of EMP Grenades and you won't really need Photon Grenades, but I take them anyway.

So here is my limited edition Rail Rifle Testing Kill Team (I got the idea after reading the fluff on the UK GW webiste! ;D )

1 Pathfinder Shas'la Url'na: Rail Rifle, Hard-Wired Target Lock Interface, Photon Greandes - 30pts
1 Firewarrior Shas'ui Kal'me'ra: Pulse Rifle, Markerlight, Hard-Wired Target Lock, Photon Grenades - 38pts
8 Firewarriors: Pulse Rifle, Photon Greades - 88pts
Total: 156pts

That is my army...now lets see yours...

If you want it based on Pathfinders, I suggest you get one with RR and the HW Target Lock Interface, a Shas'ui with a HW Target Lock (kind of like mine! ) and then 4 more Pathfinders with Photons.* Then maybe some Kroot and Kroot Hounds? ??? I'll try and devise one for you in a bit, but for now I have to go...l8r! And keep those questions coming!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How about 20 kroot (140 pts)? Yes I know that breaks one of the mutable laws but technically only once (the law that says they must be between 5-12 models). However, IMO that kill team sucks: One flamer and most of your kroot are toast (literally). :'(

We're planning a KT mini-campaign in the Wed. club I run and I was thinking about using tau but I just don't think it's competitive at all, nor does it make an interesting "colorful" kill team. You can do a lot more with SMs or orks (my other 2 armies).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

yay!, GW finally carified it, I can use pathfinder models again ;D

why is everyone splicing teams? why not instead of breaking the unit restrictions for FW or kroot in your finders, break it for more finders :P.

8 pathfinders
-photon grenades
-Shas'ui
-Drone controller
-2 gundrones
-RR
-TL
153pts

and you get the free move (gundrones are wargear right?, you get the free move in game when you have drones so why not in KT?) you can move and fire (o so important for us )

and most of all its fluffy, an assasin squad maybe? recon group? Devilfish down?(thats mine! anyone who touches it will die )

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 22 Feb 2005, 00:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
8 pathfinders
-photon grenades
-Shas'ui
-Drone controller
* -2 gundrones
-RR
-TL
153pts

and you get the free move (gundrones are wargear right?, you get the free move in game when you have drones so why not in KT?) you can move and fire (o so important for us* )

and most of all its fluffy, an assasin squad maybe? recon group? Devilfish down?(thats mine! anyone who touches it will die )
Nice List DZG!!! And yes the Gundrones doe count as wargear, so a free game move for you!!! ;D
I'm going to have to steal your list, but don't worry, I won't steal your scenario ideas! (I value my life, thank you! )

Edit: Please read my new post on Kroot Above...
Old 22 Feb 2005, 00:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I thought you might like it...... now to actually watch blackhawk down

how about, behind the Emperors lines ? (you can have that one)

I'm wondering exactly how useful the pregame is, it seems very very good, but I dont know, some armies could really give problems.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 22 Feb 2005, 00:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Faceless_Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I thought you might like it...... now to actually watch blackhawk down

how about, behind the Emperors lines ? (you can have that one)

I'm wondering exactly how useful the pregame is, it seems very very good, but I dont know, some armies could really give problems.
i would say "behind imperial lines", "the Thin Red markerlight" or, if i felt particualry or, "Doctor Strangetau OR, how i learned to stop hating and learned to love the Rail Rifle"

Member of the secret socity of otaku
Closed Thread