Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Good battlesuit combos.
Old 16 May 2007, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Good battlesuit combos.

Hi there, Iím new to Tau and this edition of 40k. I played a few years ago and have just recently got back into the hobby and have bought around £300 pounds worth of stuff. I really like the models and Iím having fun building them.

Now Iíve just come to my battle suits and Iím looking for a bit of advice. Iíve bought a commander in a XV8, 4 further XV8ís a broadside and a unit of 6 stealth suits. Iím currently a little overwhelmed with the multitude of weapons and wargear available to them all. I would ultimately like them to be balanced and flexible and Iím a little unsure of how to group them.

I was thinking along the lines of a Shasíui commander with a single Shasívre bodyguard. To group the remaining 3 XV8 together as one squad with the Broadside obviously on his lonesome and the stealth suits all together in one big squad.

I suppose I would like to have a run down of various combinations and the pros and cons players have with them. I have no regular enemies at the moment so a take-on-all-comers combo is what Iím looking for.

Old 16 May 2007, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Good battlesuit combos.

I'm aslo a new player, but from the battles that I've played, the suits I used where equiped with plasma, fusion, and a muti tracker. Though more expensive than other outfit options, it has enough fire power to wound even the toughest opponents. Im thinking about Hardwiring the Mutli tracker and adding a target array to my guys to make sure that they kill what they're supposed to.
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 21:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't know how popular it is but I tend to put a Plasma Rifle and a missile pod on my suits and depending on who I am fighting either a shield generator or a targeting array.

~Ace
Old 16 May 2007, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ace of Spades
I don't know how popular it is but I tend to put a Plasma Rifle and a missile pod on my suits and depending on who I am fighting either a shield generator or a targeting array.

~Ace
You're talking about the 'Fireknife', which is actually one of the most popular crisis configurations, only the third hard point is usually taken up by a multi-tracker, allowing the suit to fire both weapons in the same turn. I'm a big fan of this combo, but I rarely use crisis suits outside of my HQ.
I equip my Shas'o with a cyclic ion blaster, plasma rifle and shield generator, with a hard-wired multi-tracker and stimulant injectors. This makes him very expensive, but it increases his survivability a lot. He's only died a couple of times in all my games, and mostly because I was using him as a close-combat shield for another unit. The cyclic ion blaster, in my opinion, is the perfect all-around weapon for a commander, seeing as his higher BS makes good use of all those shots, plus it has the capacity to take down anything from Guardsmen to Terminators. I put the plasma rifle in there just to add a little extra armour-peircing punch, just in case I don't roll all the 6s I need for the CIB.

Hope I've been helpful.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks Hollopoint, I can never remember the suit names. Yeah the CIB is a wonderfull creation that shouldn't be underestimated and can contribute greatly to an offensive. I also think that the Air burst can be equally as usefull if deployed correctly. I have on occasion deepstriked a unit behind some guardsman lines and had them completely turn around because of the threat is posed. I would also just spend some time and see what works best for you, like your style of play. I know I am a bit more aggressive and not shy from sending my Fire Warrior teams into the fray of glorious close combat. But those are the Crisis suit tools which help me.

~Ace
Old 16 May 2007, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're still undecided, you might want to think about some magnets for your crisis suits. They allow you to change your suits' loadouts based on every battle you play!
Old 17 May 2007, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you don't really need magnets. The weapons stay on as long as it's painted, because they fit just right. Magnets will be required, however, if you wish to swap the CIB or ABFP.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 01:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Still, magnets help the weapons stay on.
Old 17 May 2007, 01:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Magnets are a good idea. My new suits have magnets on them and it is very convenient to be able to switch.

Here are some fun combos to try:

FireKnife (plasma, missile pods and multi-tracker):
is the best all purpose suit.

Plasma and Fusion and multi-trackers:
Good against SM and equivalents

Missile Pods and Burst Cannons and multi-trackers:
gives you the most of shots.

Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters and multi-trackers:
good tank hunter
(w/a command team you can hardwire the MT and add shield gens)

Missile Pods and Flamers and multi-trackers:
are good against Mechanized Light Infantry (b/c the you can fire at a transport after the troops have deployed and are still within 2". The flamers hit everything under the template... so by firing at the transport you still hit the troops. Works really well vs. Guard, and Eldar.

There are also some cool mixes you can do with Commanders and Bodyguards (all with Hard-wired Multi-trackers).

Commander w/ Plasma, Fusion and Missiles (can only fire 2 at a time but nice options)
Bodyguard w/ TL plasma and Missiles
Bodyguard w/TL fusion and Missiles

or

Commander with Missiles, Cyclic Ion Blaster and 2 Shield Drones
2x Bodyguard Plasma, Missiles and Target Array
Old 17 May 2007, 02:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ahhh not this thread again...

I'm all for helping people and all, but seriously the SEARCH button has its own very special reason for existing...

IN anyway since I'm hear->

***Side note on Shield generators, -> Usually not worth it, If u want Inv save get a drone, its cheaper and more reliable...
***Side not on CIB -> This toy is for commanders ONLY, U can abuse their high BS and get 5 shots that hit on 2+
***Side note on AFP -> Never put it on HQ, barrage weapon doesn't use BS, meaning everyone can use it. U can get a Shas'Vre (Shas'UI with upgrade) and give him that with something else, I prefer Twin Linked Burst cannons and HW MT, since Shas'Ui can't take special issue items.

Fire knife -> OVER RATED IMO. I wouldn't put it on Shas'Ui UNLESS u plan to give him a Targeting array and make him One man team (cost 77 points). And still its not a good idea IMO, he got no IC status -> he can be shot at. If its a team of knifes they lack BS, it can be fixed with Lights... but it limits targets... Shas'El or Shas'O can do quite well as a fire knife since he will hit his targets on 2+ (Shas'El will need a targetting array for that), and with IC status he is relatively safe...

Death Rain -> Good, reliable, durable, cheap => Two man teams with T-Locks can be a fun and can outflank the tanks. Generally a good combo.

Sun forge -> Scrap metal collector. Usually comes in 1 or two man teams with TA(if one man) or TL (if two) and usually deepstriked close to landraiders and other pile of moving scrap metal. Effective, but usually dies... but 250+ landraider for 50 point Sunforge is a trade many are willing to do.

Helios & Burning Eye -> Generally do the same thing -> kill 2+ save models, they are good at it and usually put on commanders, since u gonna work up close, U might want to drop the IC status and get drones and Body guard with same combo (give them TA & HW MT as well) and this 3 man team can do some really damage fast and stay alive too.

There are several TONs of articles written about the battle suit configs, search it, and U'll find it described from every aspect, from mathhammer to tactic to even fluff.

P.S. My advise come with no warranty or return policy ;D

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 ďTAU customizationsĒ Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote