Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep] Fishy gives the sisters a taste of pulse rifle
Old 16 May 2007, 01:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default [Batrep] Fishy gives the sisters a taste of pulse rifle

So, I went down to my local shop again. The last couple weeks I've actually been able to get 1on1 games against some non jerk folks, which really makes me happy because the place is absolutely infested with punks a large percentage of the time.

So we played a 2000pt gamma Take and Hold.

My list was as follows.

-Shas'O fireknife with command and control node
-Shas'El fireknife with targeting array
-2 Targeting array deathrains
-5 stealths
-12 fire warriors with shas'ui
-2x10 fire warriors with shas'ui in devilfishes
-10 kroot+shaper+4 hounds
-2x1 fusion piranha
-8 pathfinders with shas'ui
-2 broadsides+2 shield drones
-2 sniper drone teams
-Railhead

His list was something like this.

-Cannoness and bodyguard in Immolator
-Priest
-5 Grey Knight Termies
-2 BIG (15?) footslogging sister units with all the trimmings
-Quad melta dominion squad in immolator
-8 or so Seraphrim
-3 penitent engines
-quad heavy bolter retributor squad
-Exorcist

I won the roll off for first turn, and somewhat ill-advisedly took it (usually I like to go last in take and hold for that final mad dash for the objective, but I suffered from a brain fart)

Turn1: My pirhanas scream foreward their full 24" toward the exorcist while the mounted fire warriors, hammerhead and stealths advance with caution. Shooting pegs a good number of sisters from one of the big squads, partially due to an impressive showing from some marker assisted fire warriors. Only problem is I forgot to fire the pathfinders before the sniper drones and lost the chance to impose a modifier on their pinning check. One of the immolators is immobilized, forcing the dominions out into the open. The pathfinder devilfish opens fire on the survivors and kills the priest. The missile pod suits claim 2 of the penitent engines while the hammerhead brings down the third (whew!). In his turn he opens up on the fire warriors, kills 6 with his retributors and sends them running. The seraphrim attack the piranhas, but do nothing at all, but the exorcist neatly prunes the railgun from the hammerhead.

Turn2: I keep up the fusilade on his units. Pirhanas release their drones to harass the seraphrim and fly off to fusion the exorcist. The poor jump packing sisters end up being gunned down by a combination of the stealths, the piranha drones 2 devilfishes and the railgunless hammerhead. The sniper drone controllers prove incompetent, but I manage to whittle one of the big sister units down to only 6 models. They take a pinning check at -3 (2 for marker counters and 1 for below half and pass). Broadsides blow up the other immolator, but his command unit had already disembarked (I was hoping for a big explosion). Piranhas roll 2 one for their fusion shots... I harass the dominions and gun one more down. In response his Exorcist fails miserably and his retributors are out of range of my sniper drones. The dominions manage nothing firing at the pathfinder defilfish. Oh and the grey knights hung out in their strike cruiser with their feet up. His turn ends up being very uneventful, but he now has a large number of power armoured models ready to sit on the objective.

Turn3: The hammerhead and devilfishes move toward the centre as do the stealths. Piranhas do a lil maneuovering to ensure glancing hits while their disembarked drones move to harass the sisters. I concentrate fire on the other big sister unit (now that the first was no longer scoring) and render them non scoring. They take a pinning check at -3 (2 for marker counters and 1 for below half) and pass. The other unit is brought down to 2 models by the stealths. I do very little to the dominions. The piranha drones manage a kill on the retirbutors as do my missile pod suits, but he passes his check. The piranhas themselves inflict a crew shaken on the Exorcist, which is good enough. In response, he kills 3 more of the fire warriors (including the shas'ui since they were the only 3 in range), but they hold their ground. The dominions melta the devilfish, blow off the burst cannon and inflict a crew shaken. His termies teleport in and take cover behind some scenery, but, along with the cannoness and her bodyguards, they gun down those annoying piranha drones. He tries to roast the stealths with a heavy flamer, but I make my save.

Turn4: Remembering an old trick, I disembark the drones from the pathfinder devilish and fly it off behind a hill. They gun down another dominion. I mop up the survivors of the big sister units and start on the cannoness and her retinue. By the end all that's left is the big girl and the heavy flamer sister. Just for the hell of it I fire the broadsides into the retibutors, and despite spirit of the martyr manage to turn 1 into a red mist. I finally finish that seemingly immortal exorcist and the pirnahas perform a victory loop. By this point there's very little left in his army. He moves the last dominions towards the grey knights (who continue to hunker down in their spot, getting ready for a last turn objective spoiling rush). They take a few pot shots at the devilfish drones and kill one. The retributors manage to gun down the last of the fire warriors and the cannoness and her surviving bodyguard move toward the stealths.

Turn5: We decide that this'll be the last turn as some folks are demanding the table (despite the fact that we were still within the 2 hour mark of the game). So I pile 2 fire warrior units, 1 pirnaha and the hammerhead onto the objective and prepare to give the Grey Knights hell. Only 2 survive. Leaving him without a scoring unit that coudl reach the objective in time. The cannoness and her bodyguard take the full force of the stealths, but the cannoness survives (he also invoked spirit of the martyr due to the other piranha (that couldn't reach the objective) lining up for a fusion shot on him. The lone drone guns down another dominion, but my attempts to railgun the retributors in a fantastic display of overkill were foiled by his spirit of the martyr (the termies weren't in LoS). Finally, I try to fire a commander at them, but roll 11 for my targeting check. Oddly enough, the closest thing is the cannoness with her 2+ invulnerable save. The plasma is out of range, but I score a hit with the missile and unsurprisingly wound. He rolls his save. The die bounces under one of my tanks before coming to a stop. Now if he fails this his poor cannoness is insta-killed. I lift up the tank. He concedes the game (although that was also partically due to the pressure of several onlookers trying to get us off the table so they can have their game)

So I end up with a resounding victory. But I must credit my opponent. He remained an enjoyable opponent right until the end despite some horrible luck and his army not really being well equipped to fight tau. He had a simply scary number of flame weapons that would've caused some serious pain to the likes of a nid army, but has trouble dealing with my army that was either standing well back or riding aound in tanks. His army was also beautifully painted. He does a rather extreme and unusual highlight pattern, but it looks damn sweet. My marker units did better due to the targeting check bonus from the C&C node, but they still strike me as rather fragile if an opponent gets a chance to fire on them. Still, they'll probably stick around for a while yet as I was getting bored of the same old mechanised list I've been running lately.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [Batrep] Fishy gives the sisters a taste of pulse rifle

Good job Fishy! ;D

Are you participating in the campaign?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace cipher zer0
Good job Fishy! ;D

Are you participating in the campaign?
Knowing me and most campaigns I'll probably decide at the last minute, forget to report battles or somethign stupid like that. So in other words I haven't really decided yet, but it's quite likely I'll do something
Quote:
Old 16 May 2007, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the batrep, nice read.
Old 16 May 2007, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Seems like the witch hunter player was quite new to the game and doesn't have a lot of armies to pick from. Throughout your bat rep he didn't use any faith or maximize his ability to outshoot Tau. I can see why you won
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 20:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh he used faith, he just didn't have much of an opprotunity to use the really destructive ones since he couldn't get close enough
Quote:
Old 16 May 2007, 22:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Oh he used faith, he just didn't have much of an opprotunity to use the really destructive ones since he couldn't get close enough
Most of the really good stuff is useable at 24"+ range as I said doesn't seem like he knew what he was doing

Also his army selection is rather poor as well. Grey knights are a waste in sisters considering sisters can do what grey knights do but better

Priests waste of points as are penitent engines

Dominions with meltas not as good as dominions with Storm bolters. No books of st lucius which let him make morale checks unmodified, acts of faith to prevent pinning not used. Flamer immolators are a waste, pump them upto HB with blessed ammo and go to town with no cover saves.

No vet sisters in his list and adding up his army list without the termies comes in at 1456 and i don't think 5 termies is 500 pts. So sounds like he was even under points. With only 4 faith in his army I wouldn't expect much
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 22:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Nice job, Fish 'Ead! I love to hear of those whiny pathetic sisters being tought a lesson!

PS: Love the hat!
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 22:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh he had vet sisters in every squad, equiped nicely. Imagifiers as well. I often leave out those sort of details if they don't make a difference in the actual game in order to save me the time of saying "He had xxx item, but it didn't actually do much/anything". I already mentioned that he had a bit of an uphill battle with the list he had designed (not that sisters aren't a bit of a challenge anyway) and that he would have been better off against the likes of a nid army with all those flamers. One day I shall have to break out my old nid army and see if he can hold an old fashioned GauntBQ . I gave him a bit of advice after the game, but I know that he tends to take alot of stuff based on him just liking it.
Quote: