Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ways of dealing with an assaulty army
Old 16 May 2007, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Ways of dealing with an assaulty army

This is purely a deployment guide. It's remarkably easy to screw yourself up deploying poorly against an assault army, so heres what you need to worry about.

1.Infiltration. Now, you don't normally WANT to be close to the assault armies, but a good chunk of them have infiltrating units, and you really don't want guys on your first turn(quite possible with a coupla units). In particular, make sure that you deploy so that there isn't a nice, infiltratable hole behind your lines. This can kill you incredibly quickly. Also, I suggest bringing 1-2 infiltrating units for pushback. Keep in mind that both pathfinders and stealths are great pushback units as well, even if you deploy the stealths normally. The PF is especially good as the scout move will permit them to move back to safety, and the DF is a great blocking obstacle.

2. Skimmer walls. Dont deploy them as such. Move them in at the right time instead. Assaulting your skimmers may not do anything to take them down, but it can be used as a way to get closer. This doesn't make them useless, but it DOES mean you should use them dynamically, and think about the risks of doing so.

3. Sacrificial units. I know, terribly un tau-like. But honestly, two drone units...small infiltrating kroot squads, thats what these are. You don't need them to survive the game, just to cause more annoyance that they are worth. A turn spent turning around to kill them off is a turn that a squad is working itself out of position, thus lessening the number of units you need to deal with in early turns.

4. Flanking Units. Normally, spreading yourself in such a way that you can be rolled up from one side to the other is bad. However, if you mainly set up on the left corner, consider dropping a lone small unit far on the right. A six man FW squad, for example. Almost any assault unit will cost more than this squad, and killing them will put that unit far out of position, as in 3. If your FW team passes TP checks(at least until rapid fire range. Might want to take advantage of that), they can contribute to keeping the main army safe while also acting as a decoy, allowing them to kill/occupy many more points than they are worth. Alternative choice against an enemy with supporting firepower: Sniper Team.

5. Mutually Supporting Firepower. This is more important than being in cover. Cover may help you survive slightly better...but he's not going to outshoot you, he's going to beat you down. Sometimes you need to focus massive amounts of dakka on a unit(say bikers) disturbingly close to something vital(say....your honor guard), and cover can prevent you from doing that if you're not careful.

6. Use of cover. By all means, use it when it works out. Just don't leap into every cover just because it's there. Ideally, small cover units right against your back edge, with nothing close to it is ideal. Several small units of cover close together is not unless you can guarantee that your opponent will not be able to attack from the edge, which would allow him to jump from one unit to the next, without you having solid lanes of fire. Proper use of cover will give you two things...a cover save(minimally important, assault armies are not normally likely to outshoot you. Still nice, though) and difficult terrain. It's a chance at free bike/flier kills and even better, if he rolls poorly on his test, another possible turn of shooting.

7. Countercharge unit. Kroot, generally. If you end up stuck with huge chunks of cover, dump the kroot in the center, where they're safer from flamers, and put the shooty stuff around the edge. That way, if the worst happens, and you end up with units stuck in combat during your turn, hack them out via obscene number of cheap kroot. Stealths can also fulfill this role to a much more limited degree, but shouldnt be used just for this.

8. Target Priority. Figure out what you need to kill right away. Generally the faster it is, the faster it needs to die. After all, if you kill the unit that needs three turns to get into combat instead of the one that needs two, you lose an entire round of shooting. Don't let yourself be intimidated into always firing at the thing that's most scary in melee. That greater deamon may hose an entire unit....but we're tau, a bike squad will do exactly the same thing.

9. Focused Firepower. Yes, matching the right weapon to the job is critical in maintaining efficiency, but remember, even a couple models in melee will prevent an entire team from firing. And a non-firing or dead team is horrifically inefficient. It's better to kill one melee squad, and let an untouched one hit the other flank than to kill 75% of each, then have them hit you on both sides.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 01:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Re: Ways of dealing with an assaulty army

lol and dont forget an Ethreal! hitting on 3s do tend to help
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funshade
lol and dont forget an Ethreal! hitting on 3s do tend to help
No, an Etherial is actually a big risk in this case. You hitting on 3s isn't likely to stop most assault armies will be hitting you just as often, and probably have a much better save or number AND ways to negate most of your saves. Orks have choppas...'nids have a wide variety of ways(not least, rending), termies have lightening claws, and in fact, pretty much all assulting armies have a proliferation of power weapons or equivelent.

Additionally, preferred enemy does jack against the really evil stuff....which is pretty likely to happen, and as against an assault army, you tend to deploy many units reasonably close to the board edge and not move them forward(duh), you're really pretty likely to lose stuff when the etherial dies.

I did forget one important detail.

Ignore his fire support. In almost all primarily assault based army, his fire support, while annoying, will kill you much slower than those assault squads will. Kill them first, deal with the lascannons later.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 16 May 2007, 03:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A very through post... well done.

Here is one thing I can add.

Use the length of the table to your advantage.

Example:
In a lot of tournament games you deploy on the long board edge or on the diagonal. So either way you have a long deployment zone. Deploy one tank at each end. Then deploy devilfish-troops in the middle. And then infiltrate Kroot (in cover) and Stealth team at the center. Notice where the opponent has deployed; look to see which is his weakest side (this is easiest to see/predict when you have to deploy on diagonals.) Concentrate all fire on the week side and move toward that side. The 12" move of tanks quickly gets you away from the strong side. The Kroot and stealth team can hold the middle of the board for a couple of turns. By then your army is at one end of the table (along the short board edge.) This means the opponent must travel the length of the table to get to you.
Old 16 May 2007, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Could you use a lone-man Crisis suit with a Failsafe as a sacrificial unit? or is that not tempting enough or too expensive. Perhaps a two man team, would be enough to tie the assault squads up?
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 05:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I enjoy using sacrificial lone crisis suits, but my favorite variant of that is the TL flamer + BS filter. It costs a mere 34 points, and it makes up it's points very rapidly. Your opponent really can't afford to just ignore it, either.

A long crisis suit with a failsafe is generally a bad move. Its point heavy for a solo suit, and it requires the following happening:
1. You spend a minimum of 50 points, even before filling the other two hardpoints.
2. He gets into melee(problematic, because any S8+ weapon is perfect for cooking solo suits).
3. He loses combat(this requires him taking wounds, but not enough to die. For any non commander, this means he has to take exactly one wound, and deal none. Using a commander for this is really expensive.)
4. If it's instant death, it doesnt matter.
5. He needs to fail his Ld check. He'll never be below half, and any suit that can do this has at least Ld 8. The only way he has a good shot at failing is if he's way outnumbered, which means he's likely to take a ton of wounds against an assaulty army.
6. They fail armor saves. Note that this makes this tactic relatively weak against MEQs and TEQs. Lighter assault troops tend to inflict a lot of damage. Genestealers for example, will just eat the suit.

Basically, it just doesnt work.

Two man suit squads are tempting targets for assault teams. They're worth enough points to bother hitting, and they die rather rapidly. One model with a powerfist/lightening claws will likely nail them both in one round. Anything that kills the entire team in one round, then massacres d6 closer to you, really isn't being slowed down any. Crisis teams are best off using their mobility advantage to snipe at these assault squads, and stay away from them for as long as possible.

Old 16 May 2007, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Here are some of my own contributions

1.) In medium point matches, I use small units of FW to my advantage. Since deployment alternates, I can use them as spacers to wait and see where his HQ/Elites (the usual assaulty units) will deploy (Assaulty armies usually have very few troops... unless you are up against massive Genestealer armies, in which case you might be hosed.

2.) Kroot wall. Seriously, assaulty armies hate this stuff. If you have tons of kroot (not hard to do, as they are dirt cheap. 60 kroot costs about the same as three 12 man units of bonded fire warriors, and between ruins and forests still average a 4+ save. Throw them out on the middle of the board in/behind cover and watch him evaporate. 60-120 S4 shots will do a LOT more damage than 36-72 S5 shots (They are also more likely to get their shots off, as being up front means that they can shoot out from the cover that usually blocks FW LOS...and more likely to get rapid-fire off). Additionally, some armies like Khorne and Witchhunters have units with compulsory moves. Just because I cannot stress this enough:
KROOT HAVE I10 IF ASSAULTED IN COVER. With all of the attacks back, there's a good chance that he will not be even able to inflict injuries. And if he does? Then he's locked in combat in an area you couldn't shoot past anyway, with a unit worth barely any points at all. Make you enemy fear the flesh-munchers. >

3.) Mobility is a must. Not just running away, you need to be able to HIT the enemy in the first place. Hammerheads and Sky rays (never underestimate a Seeker missile) will be a must, as well as warfishes. Remeber, if your opponent REALLY wants to get you, he'll use units with either a 12 inch move/assault, fleet, bikes, or some combination thereof. Don't trust FW to survive if the enemy doesn't die after coming into firing range for the first time.

4.) Never leave space on your flanks for enemies to infliltrate. You may think that you are safe in your tight, devilfish-fortified firebase...until those scouts pop up out of LOS behind the ruins you didn't bother occupying. Same thing goes for deep-strikers: Occupy zones that will force them to deploy where they will do less damage.

Jah, that's about all I got. Kick assault for the Greater Good, my bretheren. :rockon:
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 14:55   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i'd use my kroot to fight them back and my drones squads to get in behind them with deepstriking battlesuits for back up to tie them up in ther own lines(useing their assault turn move's to their advantage "Hit and Run") and stop them from reaching yours and if they do evntually defeat all your battlesuits and drone's (which and assault army wil do eventually) then you can blast the one's taht are left to piece's before they reach your line's.

sometimes you have to stand up in a fight just to see who's standing next to you
dante dat killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 19:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Here are some of my own contributions

1.) In medium point matches, I use small units of FW to my advantage. Since deployment alternates, I can use them as spacers to wait and see where his HQ/Elites (the usual assaulty units) will deploy (Assaulty armies usually have very few troops... unless you are up against massive Genestealer armies, in which case you might be hosed.

2.) Kroot wall. Seriously, assaulty armies hate this stuff. If you have tons of kroot (not hard to do, as they are dirt cheap. 60 kroot costs about the same as three 12 man units of bonded fire warriors, and between ruins and forests still average a 4+ save. Throw them out on the middle of the board in/behind cover and watch him evaporate. 60-120 S4 shots will do a LOT more damage than 36-72 S5 shots (They are also more likely to get their shots off, as being up front means that they can shoot out from the cover that usually blocks FW LOS...and more likely to get rapid-fire off). Additionally, some armies like Khorne and Witchhunters have units with compulsory moves. Just because I cannot stress this enough:
KROOT HAVE I10 IF ASSAULTED IN COVER. With all of the attacks back, there's a good chance that he will not be even able to inflict injuries.
Agreed with you until this point. Kroot are awesome, but expect casualties. Assume that any assault-based army has frag grenades or an equivelent, and will thus hit simul with you. The other problem with kroot is that you sometimes simply cant get enough into btb. Smaller, harder hitting assault units worry less about this.

Does this mean you should skip kroot? Nah...just be aware of the weaknesses.

Quote:
3.) Mobility is a must. Not just running away, you need to be able to HIT the enemy in the first place. Hammerheads and Sky rays (never underestimate a Seeker missile) will be a must, as well as warfishes. Remeber, if your opponent REALLY wants to get you, he'll use units with either a 12 inch move/assault, fleet, bikes, or some combination thereof. Don't trust FW to survive if the enemy doesn't die after coming into firing range for the first time.
It is quite possible to kill assault armies without a single heavy skimmer...or in fact, a single skimmer at all. My last two victories were against DW and a jump pack heavy(with shrike and retinue, naturally) Ultramarine army. In both of these matches, I had no skimmers, drone units, or vespid. However, I did have nine broadsides and an inordinate amount of infantry.

Mobility is great, but it is certainly not a requirement.

Do not use the Ninja'O against a proper assault army. He's expensive and very vulnerable to power weapons. His role is to tie up soft units WITHOUT power weapons in melee, not an all purpose assult unit.

Old 16 May 2007, 19:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The #1 way I deal with CC armies keeping out of CC but when I do get into CC I keep myself out of the combat bubble. Thus 75% of the time I never get locked into the combat and never run down when losing one.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote