Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Loophole with four drones.
Old 15 May 2007, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Loophole with four drones.

OK i was talking about this in another forum (didn't want to really bring it up here unless necessary) but i think i found a loop hole in the rules

OK so i have not shared this with to many people but i still need a bit of input weather this is a legit loophole or not

A suit must take 3 hard points and, if has access, can get wargear. The rules state you cannot have more then one of the same type of system. but a hard wired and a non hard wired are two diffrent systems.

Two drone controller's. one a non hard wired controller, then take a Hard wired one. allowing (possably) 4 drones. i have put a lot of thought into this. trust me.

How would 4 drones be any good? There are a few ways

1. allowing 4 shield drones on the team leader of the broadside team wile the others take target locks freeing up a unit.

2. crisis configurations, this can work with body guards considering all of them can take both. allowing 12 gun drones. 1 it forces them to shoot the drones first. but a drone has the same price as a FW with a 5% more chance to hit.

3. picture a seven samurai list (Farsight +7 body guards) all with this trick. 28 drones. thats a lot of wounds but most importantly that is a huge group to kill. yes the pie plates will blow the crap out of them but the biggest fear of that is IG and they still are hardly a threat. now add one markerlight. 75% of all of those shots now will hit. now you can equip them with single shot guns with no fear of the hordes of 5+ saves rushing you.

And with the rules they must kill at least 21 drones before being able to shoot at your crisis suits. so they cannot just shoot at you with just some heavy weapons and take out the suits. But thats what shield drones are for. well lets take a look

But why not a shield drone. well it used to be 2 shield drones 60 points. now if lascannons are firing each one has a 50% to kill per wound (4 Invariable) but shield drones could be easily taken out by just mass shots. But wait THERES MORE!

4 gun drones a unit 40 points and 20 less points. now 2 lascannon wounds will only kill 20 points rather then a 30 point shield drone. and wile they are busy destroying the drones you are plowing 8 plasma shots and most likely 16 missiles.

4. At last the question of why not just take some fast attack gundrones! and "use it as flanking" as one man said on the other forum.

Flanking in warhammer is in my book a joke. Flank is when you catch an unguarded side of a unit leaving them open to attack. hitting a flank would be shooting at infantry inside of their building. but regardless of where you shoot some one in a building (besides city fight) they will get their save regardless. in warhammer hitting an unprotected side only matter on a tank. not units.

Please if your posting to say that i messed up the rules in the first place just to let you know i love doing math and debates and it was fun typing all of this up. it takes up my time and is exactly the same reason why i started to play warhammer in the first place.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Loop hole and 4 drones.

Actually, the Codex mentions that you may NOT take the same Equipment hardwired and on a hardpoint...

But nice idea, though...*illegal, but nice....
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Actually, the Codex mentions that you may NOT take the same Equipment hardwired and on a hardpoint...

But nice idea, though... illegal, but nice....
where exactly does it say it?
Sorry for jugging but i have read the Codex WAY to many times for this to give up now
I have half the weight
Old 15 May 2007, 21:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

That is nice, but you're still limited to 100 Points of Wargear(not that that's ever been a problem. All the hard-wired stuff comes to only 78 Points without any SI stuff. Bonding, HW Blacksun, HW Drone Controller, HW Multi-Tracker, HW Target Lock, 2x Marker Drones).

And I'd be willing to agree that they may be the same in execution, but are not the same system. One is a piece of equipment which belongs to the pilot(implants, "warrior jewelry") and the other belongs to the battle suit.

However, in the FAQ, it has
Quote:
They are assumed to be the same, so you can not have more than drone controller.....
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 21:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

And thats why its a loop hole... of course it is never ment to be used like this but thats why its a loop hole.

Edit: (sorry i thought that quote was part of your signature) ok so that quote seems to be a bit odd. on the fact that its gramatical incorrect. so i'm assuming its not a copy and paste. "so you can not have more than drone controller....." WTF?!
I have half the weight
Old 15 May 2007, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Here's where I got it:
here

It's on the bottom, last sentence or so on the bottom of the page...and oddly enough, that was a copy/paste.

Whoops, just read the disclaimer...going to the U.S. GW site to check the official one.

...and there's a whole big nothing. So I say go at it until someone can prove you can't.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 21:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Once again! Annouther loop hole. They did not say you cannot have more then one. i know this sounds kinda ***holes of me but Thats what loopholes are about.

And FYI i wont use this ever. i hate farsight.
I have half the weight
Old 15 May 2007, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I do not think that this is really a loophole, although I will have to confirm it. A Hard-wired system and a hardpoint system are still the same system. Moreover, the rules do not say that you can take 2 Gun Drones for each controller. They just say that a model with a controller can take two Drones. So even if you had two controllers on a model for some reason, it doesn't mean that you could purchase 4 drones for him.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 21:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Loophole with four drones.

I checked into this exact same thing a while back. IIRC, it was FAQed that no, this is not a valid combo. I was hoping for the same answer, as it would allow some blatant cheddar, but Im afraid not.

It specifically says you can take one or two drones in ANY combination.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Loophole with four drones.

oh well... still fun to think about how to use it.
I have half the weight