Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Updates you would like to see in Tau Empire Codex
Old 15 May 2007, 13:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Updates you would like to see in Tau Empire Codex

What would you guys want to see in the new Codex?
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 13:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Updates you would like to see in Tau Empire Codex

Well that'd be a long way off, but "Very Little" is my answer. I personally think the current tau codex is one of the best out there in terms of balance and whatnot. Just a few things off the top of my head.

-Some improvement for the Vespids to make people actually use the buzzing critters
-Human Auxiliaries
-Give the Ethereal a lil help, no one uses them any more.
-Get rid of the bloody space pope.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 13:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Special Characters that are worth a damn.
---->Fewer restrictions on farsight lists.

XV-2 suits for commanders and their bodyguards.

Some sort of leadership or strategic rule for Shas'O/Shas'els.

More Kroot units, like Knarloc Riders and great knarlocs.

TETRAS!

I also agree with everything fish ead said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 14:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

I only have one change that i think would really have some merrit that hasen't been mentioned yet "let the Sky Ray have a transport capacity"

It only has "6" 1 shot missles 2 laser pointers, and most likely a sms which a devilfish can take and so i don't think you would be short on space inside.

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 14:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_FireWarrior
I only have one change that i think would really have some merrit that hasen't been mentioned yet "let the Sky Ray have a transport capacity"

It only has "6" 1 shot missles 2 laser pointers, and most likely a sms which a devilfish can take and so i don't think you would be short on space inside.
Or let it have a reload capacity with all the internal space.

Me, I want more vehicle add ons. More weapons to hang off of the hardpoints.
Old 15 May 2007, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Aias Send a message via MSN to Aias

Some way to defend my troops in CC. Not actually improving the FW's CC abilities, as that doesn't fit in with the fluff very well, but something to help me keep Assault Marines and Harlequins out of the lines and actually have a chance of winning a combat. Right now, we have... Kroot. And they die so fast it's not funny (trust me, I've watched it happen). Maybe some Gue'vesa types, some ranged, some CC, etc. would fit the bill well.

Shepard Book once told me, "Can't do something smart, do something right."
Aias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 15:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Some way to defend my troops in CC. Not actually improving the FW's CC abilities, as that doesn't fit in with the fluff very well, but something to help me keep Assault Marines and Harlequins out of the lines and actually have a chance of winning a combat. Right now, we have... Kroot. And they die so fast it's not funny (trust me, I've watched it happen). Maybe some Gue'vesa types, some ranged, some CC, etc. would fit the bill well.
First of all, we already HAVE something like this: Skimmer Walls. Better than just "winning" a CC, the enemy doesn`t even get close, and you can continue to dish out some ounishment with all those nifty gun of ours... ;D

Furthermore, we DO have Photon Grenades.

As for the "actually have a chance of winning a combat", I don`t see this happen. We DO already have Kroot, as you mentioned, but there is no way we will ever be capable of standing up to the enemies Elite CC troops in Close Combat (Harlequins, Assault Squads, etc). That`s just no the Tau way.

Besides, why should I want to be able to "maybe" win a CC, if I`m absolutely sure that I can kill them off in my shooting phase? >
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 15:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Indeed Kroot are an excellent combat unit.

While they aren't as good as harlequins they have the advantage of being CHEAPER. A typic harlequin unit of 8 models with kisses and shadowseer is 206 points. For 210 points we get 30 Kroot.

That's a lot of strength 4 attacks headed at the harlequins, especially if the Kroot are counter charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Aias Send a message via MSN to Aias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
First of all, we already HAVE something like this: Skimmer Walls. Better than just "winning" a CC, the enemy doesn`t even get close, and you can continue to dish out some ounishment with all those nifty gun of ours... ;D

Furthermore, we DO have Photon Grenades.

As for the "actually have a chance of winning a combat", I don`t see this happen. We DO already have Kroot, as you mentioned, but there is no way we will ever be capable of standing up to the enemies Elite CC troops in Close Combat (Harlequins, Assault Squads, etc). That`s just no the Tau way.

Besides, why should I want to be able to "maybe" win a CC, if I`m absolutely sure that I can kill them off in my shooting phase? >
To counter:

Skimmer walls are great... if you have a lot of vehicles. However, we play small games (1000 pts, usually) and I can't fit more than a couple in... which go up in smoke very quickly.

Photon grenades are great; I've been using them. They tend to give me an extra turn or so, maybe. And in the meantime, he's got the entire squad locked, and not shooting at the other targets I need to get.

As for Kroot; yes, they can do their job well. But watching half of them die before they even get the chance to attack is just worthless.

And if I *could* kill them off in my shooting phase, this wouldn't be a problem. But usually, I only get one chance to shoot at him before he assaults me, and I don't have the chance to kill them off at range.

As for the point disparity noted by Falstead, the issue isn't the sheer weight of numbers. It's availability of those numbers. If you're countercharging, then you're likely to get 8-12 in combat range of the Harleys on the charge. You'll take one or two Harleys, they'll take four or five Kroot (just guessing here, don't have numbers with me). By the end of the entire combat, you will most likely have taken the Harlequins down, but they will have so mauled your force of Kroot that they won't be able to handle anything else, and will most likely have broken and ran. Should he have a second assault squad, you'll be overrun.

...so maybe I was just venting my frustrations about an opponent I just can't seem to beat. However, I do feel that having another option for CC besides just "throw Kroot at the problem" would be in order. After all, we have ten thousand different options for shooting them across the field; why not some variety when it comes to defending from CC?

Shepard Book once told me, "Can't do something smart, do something right."
Aias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd love to see a real sniper rule for the Tau. With a race depending that much on it's shooting, I'd love to see a real sniper in their ranks. The average BS is so awfull, even with Markerlights, it's hard and complicated to be effective.

Ethereal are useless unless they die... They should grant more advantages to the troops.

Burst Cannon: I know it's because they are desingned to be balanced, but they don't output a logical amount of fire. 4 rotating barrel machine guns should be at least Assault 4, not 3. Their real world counterpart (at least, close to, output a world of pain and fire...) I never use the burst cannon because of the low kill ratio I do with them.