Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Updates you would like to see in Tau Empire Codex
Old 15 May 2007, 21:01   #21 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Updates you would like to see in Tau Empire Codex

Wired:

burst cannon range is fine.

GW are actually getting rid of veteran skills.... can't blame 'em.

As to training, they start out as either pathfinder, vehicle crewman, or line trooper.

As to the SMS thing, twin linked is fine, but for 20pts, 8 str5 shots not needing LOS is a bit broken. that's 80pts of fire warriors worth!

good idea on making grenades a mandatory loadout. bump up FW cost to 11pts though...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 21:14   #22 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to PaxAnteBEllum

Photon grenades on XV-8x's!
Old 16 May 2007, 00:02   #23 (permalink)
Shas'La

*burst cannon range is fine.
-No, no it isn't.

*GW are actually getting rid of veteran skills.... can't blame 'em.
-Hmm this isn't good. Vanilla armies? No point in it at all.

*As to training, they start out as either pathfinder, vehicle crewman, or line trooper.
-A point against both of us here: Pathfinders must have a 100 percent fatality rate, since the skill never carries over it seems.

*As to the SMS thing, twin linked is fine, but for 20pts, 8 str5 shots not needing LOS is a bit broken. that's 80pts of fire warriors worth!
- There are plenty of things more broken than that. For example, Multimelta / Heavy bolter equipped Land Speeders.

*good idea on making grenades a mandatory loadout. bump up FW cost to 11pts though...
-Increasing the point cost would just defeat the purpose.

Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 00:52   #24 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Allow Stealth suit's Shas'vre accesess to special issued wargear
I WANT MY FAILSAFE DETONATOR! on somting that doesnt cost me 80 points (but make it cost 20 to put on)

Give Aun'va some super special abblity like Phycic powers or.... (Crosses fingers)

Aun'va have the abblity to give ALL fire warriors the Honor guard abblity

EDIT: Regarding the burst cannons length
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
*burst cannon range is fine.
-No, no it isn't.
Lets see how much of an advantage i would use if the burst cannon leanth was increased by only 3 inches to 21. here is the precenage of being seen with stealth suits

100% 97% 92% 83% 72% 58% 42% 28% 17% 8% 2% Chance to be seen
6...........9...........12.......15........18..... ....21.........24........27........30.........33.. ......36 Inches away

Well i would jump 6 to shoot 18 inches away then jump back to 24 inches. any heavy unit i was firing at now has a 42% chance to see me. but add only 3 inches and now i can go to 27 inches decreasing the chance to see me by 14% That is a HUGE ammout when it comes to stealth suits and firing 18 str5ap5 shots.

Now for a crisis suit. The burst cannon is pretty much a Tri-Carbine. shooting gattling type. being only a meer 8 points on a crisis suit. so cost wise 18" sounds vary fair
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 01:34   #25 (permalink)
Shas'O

Except, you're not including the cost of the suit. A firestorm suit costs 50 pts, and while yes, two of those shots are S7 with longer range, simply buying 5 FW gets you great range on all five shots, rapid fire, and three more wounds(abeit slightly squishier ones). The burst cannon isn't bad as is, but frankly, nobody ever takes carbines in the first place, so comparing them to those is kinda crap.

I feel the carbine should have a 24" range, personally. I'd still stick with mostly rifles if that happened, mind you, but at least it'd make the carbine a viable option.

Honestly, Im not sure the burst cannon NEEDs to be upgraded...but then, Im pretty sure an assault cannon doesnt need to be assault 4, rending, have a longer range, and better ap value.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 05:40   #26 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default A new Tau Codex

Well, there are certainly a few things that could be changed, but I dont see a new tau codex as actually likely for a little while. Regardless, heres my idea for one.

Missiles:
Seeker Missile - Str 8, AP1 5pts ea
Scattershot Missiles- Str 5, AP 5 large blast 10pts ea
Skystrike Missile - Str 6, AP 3 blast 10 pts ea

All of these are purchased and fired exactly the same as seekers in the Codex: Tau Empire, with all of them counting against the missile per vehicle limit.

All markerlights now operate as networked markerlights did in Codex: Tau Empire.

Special Rule: Drones. Any drone-only unit may join any other unit consisting only of drones. They remain a unit for the duration of the game, and retain the scoring properties and original squad size of the original unit(designated at time of joining).

New weapons:
Long-Barrelled Burst Cannon: Price: (on XV-8: 12/18pts, On a vehicle: +10pt upgrade from normal burst cannon per weapon)
XV-8 Mounted Markerlight20/30pts). Still a heavy weapon.
Pulse Blade: XV-8 weapon. 20pts, SI. Ignores armor saves, strikes at inititive 1.

Changed gear:
Marker Drones - 25 pts each.
Photon Grenades - Now cost 5pts per unit.
Infantry Multitracker-Allows an infantry model to fire two weapons in the shooting phase.
XV-89: May select SI wargear(as may the other Taros Suits). May take HW weapon systems. Still must select two weapon systems in addition to the SMS.
Pulse Carbines: 24" range.

New options:
Pulse Grenades, 2pts a model. Allows user to strike at S5 in the first round of combat only. Due to the messy nature of this combat, you may not claim an armor save in the round of combat immediately following.
Eviscerator: as per usual in the Kroot Merc Codex.

HQ choices:
Etherial WS4, BS3, S4, T3, W2, I3 Ld10, S4+ invul.
80pts.
Special Rules and options as from Codex: Tau Empire.

1+ Fire Caste Commander. May be selected as per Codex: Tau Empire, and may choose to upgrade suits to any of those listed in the Taros Campaign for an additional 25pts. His bodyguard is purchased as normal except that they also have this option.

Alternatively, a Shas'O may be purchased as without any suit for 50pts, and will have the following Statline:
WS4, BS5, S3, T3, W3, I3, A3, Ld10, Sv 4+.
He may select items from the infantry wargear.
He is equipped with all types of grenades, as well as a pulse pistol and a Rail Rifle.
Aura of Command: All tau infantry within LOS of him test at +1 Ld(not to exceed 10).
He may be mounted in a skyray or Hammerhead, though if he is, he may not use Aura of Command. Instead, Sky Rays or Hammerheads costing no more than 130pts may be taken as elite choices.

Heavy Support:
Broadside: As in Codex: Tau Empire, except that the Shas'vre has access to SI items.

0-1 Sniper Drone Teams: Spotter may purchase one type of grenade. Teams cost 75 pts each.

Heavy Gun Drones: As from IA: Taros Campaign, except that the max squad size is eight.

Hammerhead: As from Codex: Tau Empire. However, drones are now a +0pt secondary weapon system, and long-barrelled burst cannons are +30pts for a pair.

Skyray: As from Codex: Tau Empire. However, drones are now a +0pt secondary weapon system, and long-barrelled burst cannons are +30pts for a pair. A Skyray may be loaded with six missiles of any one type, chosen before deployment.

Elite:
0-1 Veteran Firewarriors: 15pts ea.
Squad Size 6-16.
WS 3, BS 4, S3, T3, W1, I2, A1, Ld 8.
May purchase a Shas'vre for +10 pts, he will have access to the infantry wargear, as well as +1A and +1I. Additionally, he may purchase a markerlight for +10 pts, or a railrifle for +5 pts.
The entire team may be given up to two types of grenades, and may be given jump packs at +5pts a model. They have either a carbine or a pulse rifle by default.

XV-8 Team: As Codex:Tau Empire, except that the Shas'vre has access to SI wargear.

Stealth Team: As Codex: Tau Empire, except that the Shas'vre has access to SI wargear. Instead of the previous restriction, up to two fusion blasters may be taken at a cost of +3pts per model. A stealth team may upgrade to carry one type of grenades.

Troops:

Gue'vsa: As found in Chapter Approved, except that the squad size is now 6-20. They may take up to two types of grenades. They may be mounted in a devilfish or a chimera at the costs found in codex:Tau Empire and Codex:Imperial Guard.

FW: As found in Codex: Tau Empire, excpet that the squad size is now 6-16. May purchase up to two types of grenades.

Kroot: As found in Codex: Tau Empire, save that the krootox does not restrict infiltrate, but costs an additional 5pts. The shaper may purchase an eviscerator for +20 pts. Kroot may purchase one type of grenade.

Fast Attack:
Drone Squadron: May contain gun drones at 12pts ea, shield drones at 15pts each, marker drones at 25pts each. Unit size: 4-10.

Pathfinders:As Codex: Tau Empire except for the following changes. Rail rifles are only +5pts, but do not come with target locks. These may be purchased additionally for any pathfinder at +5pts. Due to the forward nature of these pathfinders, their mandatory transport comes with decoy launchers standard, as well as the scout rule.
Unit size now 6-12.

Light Skimmer Team:
Comprised of 1-5 Piranhas, Tetras, and TX-42s. The only change to any of these is that the TX-42 is not open topped.

Vespid Team. As in Codex: Tau Empire, but at -4 pts per model. Also, Strain Leaders may access the infantry wargear list, and the team may take up to 1 type of grenade.

Devilfish are unchanged except that they may take Long Barrelled Burst Cannon as a secondary weapon system for +30 pts.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 06:41   #27 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

On the topic of burst cannons, let's not forget that human vehicles get heavy bolter sponsons for the same cost as our burst cannon sponsons.

Krootox definately need the aforementioned changes. Big, natural omnivore like that should be able to move quietly when it needs to. (I would think that the hounds would probably make more noise screeching and yapping :). Even so, has anyone thought of perhaps loading Krootox with single battlesuit weapons, either? Having some of the more high-power weaponry available to such units (even if they don't infiltrate) could make them SO much more useful.

As far as equipment...I still firmly believe that the photon grenade's effect is pointless and unfluffy. Negating a single attack doesn't do much when some models have 3-6 attacks base. The effects for that definately need altering.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 09:49   #28 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

More auxiliaries! Official Tetras! Improve the Vespids! More fleshed out Farsight armies! A doctrine-like system! More upgrades for vehicles! More Kroot units! Kill the Space Pope! I could go on and on!
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 11:05   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

Apart from lots of the things others have said, higher BS for fw. space marines have BS 4 and they're far more combat oriented than the tau. It just doesn't seem fair that space marines who are all rounders have a better BS than that of the tau who are far more shooty.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 11:30   #30 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
*good idea on making grenades a mandatory loadout. bump up FW cost to 11pts though...
-Increasing the point cost would just defeat the purpose.
Yeah, I like the free photon grenades. Hell, most people argue that they're practically useless anyway, so why not?

And I also agree on the krootox change, and vespid at the moment don't really seem to have much of a purpose. At least not one that makes them worth taking over pathfinders, piranhas, or even gun drones. I really like that veterans idea, maybe a small squad of firewarriors with a free devilfish? Heavy weapons for troops?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote