Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategies (Tau vs. Space Marines)
Old 14 May 2007, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Strategies (Tau vs. Space Marines)

so it's me again. the campaign that we are running is coming into its second round. i'm now up against Ultra Marines. here's the catch: both of our army totals have gone up. i know get to spend 650 for my total. problem is, he gets to spend 760. anybody have a "points best spent on x" opinion? 'cause right now, i'm a little shell-shocked that he gets that many points. i'm assuming he'll spend it on a rhino or some other large vehicle.

my army list (though i am in no way committed to this, so please feel free to trash it) would be:

2x 12 man FW squads w/ shas'ui upgrades

1x (though i've been thinking about 2x) railheads w/ DL MT and burst cannons as the secondary weapons

1x 6 man stealth suit team

to be blunt, i'm a little intimidated - the guy is probably our best player (he's the one who got us all started). in a fair fight, i'd think that i could hold my own. if i was the one with the points advantage, i would be a little confident. being at a 110 point disadvantage, i'm a little overwhelmed (though, really upon typing it, it doesn't seem like such an insurmountable advantage). does anyone have advice on what to spend my points on to level the playing field a little, though? and/or any strategies. through a couple games, i've found that it definitely helps to be mobile, though due to points restrictions, i may have to play static firing line with moving tanks/SS.

thanks for the time.
justamusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 00:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Strategies Tau vs. SM

well, he shouldn't have a points advantage... That's straight up cheating by the rules of the game. And as an expansion to the force, get a battleforce is you have the money. It will give you a legal army

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 01:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Drop the stealth team and load up on crisis suits, especially deathrain and helios. Use them to deny him armor saves and to smash any transports he brings.

If you're using tanks, bring a Railhead first and foremost, and an Ionhead if you can spare the points.

For 650 Points you can get a Railhead, two units of 12 FW, a Helios Shas'el, and two Deathrain crisis suits. might give you a fighting chance.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Helios? what config is that? also, i've never used deathrain, so which armament config is that, too?
Old 15 May 2007, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Helios= Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle and a Multi Tracker or Hard Wired Multi Tracker
Deathrain= Twin Linked Missile Pods and either a Targeting Array or something cheap like a flamer or blacksun filter.

Now why does your opponent have a points advantage, thats not in the rules and by the rules is cheating, however if thats specifically part of a campaign or special mission that makes sense, I've been in campaigns that have such aspects before.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

it's part of the campaign. i put a better sense of fluff here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=45785.0

suffice it to say that he's won a bonus through territories (though i'm not real pleased with how he did it. the trio that i play with played a game with benefits to the campaign on a night that i couldn't play because of other commitments and that's when he won a 160 bonus to his army. however, i can't really make too much of a stink about it because it'll get uglier than is worth it, and in the grand scheme of things, it is just a game.

anyway, hope that clears things up.
Old 15 May 2007, 02:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
Drop the stealth team and load up on crisis suits, especially deathrain and helios. Use them to deny him armor saves and to smash any transports he brings.
Actually, at such a low points level, i'd suggest just sticking to fireknife suits against SMs. This way, you maximize the amount of plasma + MP you bring against them. I think Deathrains are fine too, but at such a low level, I think Helios would be too risky, since they are expensive and won't have the kind of support they'd need to survive at close range.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think long range will be your best friend going into your matchup. I don't know how your marine buddy plays, but I'm guessing he'll prob be going mostly/pure infantry, so you'd probably want to focus on just wearing him down @ long range rather than going for a riskier close range slug match.

With that, I'd prob also think about dropping a FW squad for a warfish (if possible), and go mech. That'd hopefully throw him another curve, and help make up for your points handicap.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 02:22   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, he'll go mostly infantry (though i think he'll throw some curves - devastators, perhaps a suit or two), but i figure with the points lead, he'll probably try to experiment, too. he and i have played before, and he generally runs a straightforward game...but i'm guessing that because he has an advantage, he's going to try a couple new things. he's not too adventurous, but if he gets confident, he'll take risks - sometimes too great, which is my big hope...that he'll be way too confident and he'll make a fatal error.

the 'fish sounds like a good idea, i just don't know if want to have so few units. since he has the 100 points, i wouldn't mind still outnumbering him, though i suppose quality of shot over quantity of shots is probably not a terrible idea, either. but having read so many of the tactica articles, they all suggest taking as many FW as possible and just firing volley after volley at them and forcing them to make saves, because sooner or later they won't and you'll force them off the table. i like the idea of being able to get the hell out of dodge, but i just worry that will leave me light on the volume of fire. thoughts?

i also like keeping a stealth team because i like the possibility for jsj and the burst cannon/fusion blasters aren't terrible. i realize that burst cannons won't do a whole lot, but i figure FBs aren't a bad choice...especially because i can move in, fire, then run away and be just out of assaulting distance (except, of course, against jump infantry - which i'm also sure he'll field...but i remember to keep them in mind as i deploy/attack...).

also, does anybody have any recommendations to protect myself from a deep strike?
Old 15 May 2007, 02:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's true - with mech tau, the tradeoff is firepower... often str5 firepower.

However, the mech strategy here would focus on survival, VP and objective-grabbing rather than straight out destroying the opponent.

The thing is, the buddy I most often play against is also a infantry-heavy marine player. He is also more on the conservative side, so in order to get the jump on him (esp. @ lower pts levels), I've usually played more defensive myself. I found that the long, drawn out strategy of continual JSJ, SMS fire and such, tended to make him more reckless and frustrated, which would often open a lot of opportunities for me.

I dunno, it's your call really. I've used this concept on eldar and have had pretty good results too.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 03:04   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've had very good results with sniper drone teams. With the networked marker lights they have and the fact they cause pinning, you can lock down heavy infantry like SM fairly easily.