Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Overrated/annoying stuff
Old 14 May 2007, 04:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Overrated/annoying stuff

Id like to collect a random lost of things about tau that folks just feel are overrated. A good gripe session now and then is good for the soul, we've all got pet peeves.

The in-codex tactics. Mon'tau and Kaun'yon or w/e they're called. All GW tactics in codexes are pretty much lame. On this topic, battle reports. Everyone wins when their codex is coming out, and said battles may or may not bear any resemblance to what actually happens.

Strength 5 pulse weapons. Oh sure, it's handy...but if I had a nickle for every time someone told me how lucky I was to have basic infantry with S5 weaponry, I don't think Id need to buy new models, ever.

The pulse rifle on a Tetra. You, my little friend, are only there to make weapon destroyed results irrelevant.

Gun drones on heavy skimmers. Why do you make it different than on the other ones? Just make it free. Everyone would appreciate it.

Orks. Those poor, poor buggers. If they sucked as much in the fluff as they do on the tabletop, the imperium woulda cleaned em out long ago, and it's a shame. Those buggers really deserve better.

Farsight Fluff. I demand more...they only give enough to whet a little curiosity.

On that note...ditto for vespid fluff. Perhaps Im missing some large book of tau goodness, but I havent really seen much that dealt with them outside of the page in the dex.

Tau are as vulnerable to psyk attacks as anyone...in fact, more so, they dont have hoods or psykers, or anything whatsoever that supresses them. I understand that some psyk attacks are physical manifestations, but the ones that are purely mental, tau really deserve to have something against.

Allies. Kroot Mercs would be nice. I fully understand that balance is an issue, but it kinda would make sense. Also, fleshing out Gue'vesa a bit more would be amazing. For an army that makes such extensive use of xenos(heck, fluff even has farsight fighting alongside orks at one point), you'd think you'd see some sort of allies rule.

Thats all I got offhand. Cure random gripes!

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 05:48   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Overrated/annoying stuff

Amen to the vespid fluff. I would like a reason to like them besides their tabletop attributes.

What is a tetra?
and go to The Emperor like a Guardsman......

-From the musings of Commissar Rudyard
Fioui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Better/more special characters. We've got what, four? And since Aun'shi was phased out, we can only use three of them, and nobody likes the space pope.

I agree whole-heartedly on the codex tactics issue. Even doing something as simple as providing an expanation on how to use "jump-shoot-jump" would be a major improvement.

Drone avalibility. I'd like to have a simple kit (blister pack?) that would give me a shield drone and a marker drone. Yes, I know that they are easy to convert, and I've done so before, but it would be nice to have the option to purchase them.

EDIT: Leadership modifiers! Pretty much everybody else can take things that improve their leadership. We get C&C nodes and Etherals, neither of which are really useful (12" range or LOS).

BTW, Fio'ui: Tetras are a forge world vehicle that is pretty much a Piranha with a markerlight and a selection of weapons.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 06:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

A tetra is a pathfinder skimmer.
[hr]

The variant turrets for Hammerheads. Make 'em fully legal damnit. Who wouldn't want a multi-melta with blast, especially when facing off against deathwing.

Drones. Seriously, we have like three kinds. Surely the Tau military have for more than that at the their disposal.

More auxiliary troops. Tallerian, Demiurg, Legal Gue'Vesa. Youy name it, we want it.
[hr]

Damn that felt good.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 06:10   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't like that they felt it neccesary to have Markerlights and Networked Markerlights. It was a needless little bit of complexity that would not have over-balanced the book to leave out.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 06:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Tau guys I've talked to aren't thrilled about the pathfinder devilfish's rules handling. Don't give them the transport at all if it is going to bite. Maybe they could have a devilfish that they buried pre-combat? or it could come in later on to pick them up?
Old 14 May 2007, 06:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero

Drones. Seriously, we have like three kinds. Surely the Tau military have for more than that at the their disposal.
YAH! I want flamer drones! That'll make 'em think twice about charging in! Oooh! OOh! And EMP suicide drones!
and go to The Emperor like a Guardsman......

-From the musings of Commissar Rudyard
Fioui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 07:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fio'ui
Quote:

YAH! I want flamer drones! That'll make 'em think twice about charging in! Oooh! OOh! And EMP suicide drones!
Spike drones, explode in a shower of pointy metal bits that rip through enemys!*

I'd like to see legal Gue'vesa. With more weapons, I mean, Lasguns? And Maybe pulse rifles? What happened to all the flamer, or plasma guns?
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 08:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

id just want a codex that is designed better. Get Jervis to do the next one, and leave Andy Hoare out in the cold! He did an OK job with some of it, and thats about it.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 10:33   #10 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Legally we can field 4 kinds of drones : gun , sniper , shield and marker.
FW released squads of heavy gun drones - with twin linked burst cannons. Heavy marker drones with burst cannon and markerlight <but w/o multi tracker>.
Last one released by FW is a technical drone , but w/o rules. Can be used as medic or techpriest equivalent .
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote