Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question regarding pinning in GW's latest Tau FAQ
Old 13 May 2007, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog
Default Question regarding pinning in GW's latest Tau FAQ

the GW FAQ states that pinning modifiers imposed by markerlights are unlimited, and that a target unit can be reduced to the point where they are insta-pinned by any pinning weapons that wound.

except, there is a problem...

the rulebook states that modifiers cannot push leadership lower than 4. I am pretty sure of that.

OK, so has the FAQ got a mess-up? > or is the markerlight suddenly the best weapon the Tau have when combined with Rail Rifles/pulse carbines? :huh: :

i think the FAQ should be right, otherwise, the author of the FAQ can't even read a rulebook properly... ( :-[ )
Old 13 May 2007, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Note on GW's latest Tau FAQ

Morale checks always pass on a natural 2 (two 1s). Pinning tests are not the same as Morale Checks, so there exists the possibility of being automatically pinned (although it will usually take two units of Pathfinders to do it reliably). There is no contradiction to that part. But I had never noticed that the Rulebook set a limit for Leadership modification at 4. Where is that stated?
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog
Default Re: Question regarding pinning in GW's latest Tau FAQ

not too certain now if it is there - only have 3rd ed RB. but thanks for the clearup.
Old 13 May 2007, 21:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

And of course if I'm playing against your Tau and you want to allocate some 500+ points of your army to pin a single unit of mine for a turn... be my guest.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
And of course if I'm playing against your Tau and you want to allocate some 500+ points of your army to pin a single unit of mine for a turn... be my guest.
Pretty much. If pinning is something you really want to do, go with 3 Sniper Teams and split their fire up every turn. Forcing a bunch of pinning tests is a better use of the points than trying to get an autofail on one. Particularly since those Sniper Teams are also killing the enemy, whereas the Markerlights are not.
Old 13 May 2007, 23:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Khanaris you just described exactly how I use my snipers against GEQ. This is the absolute best way to get good value out of sniper teams against non MEQ targets where their low AP is somewhat wasted.

I find I can force several pinning checks a round with just 2 sniper teams by firing at upwards of 6 targets.

Not only do they help soften up these massive units into more manageable sizes, but when they do get pinned it is a nice bonus.
Old 14 May 2007, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Indeed, although it is funny when the gun drones from a devilfish proceed to pin a necron warrior unit ;D

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 03:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Note on GW's latest Tau FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Morale checks always pass on a natural 2 (two 1s). Pinning tests are not the same as Morale Checks, so there exists the possibility of being automatically pinned (although it will usually take two units of Pathfinders to do it reliably). There is no contradiction to that part. But I had never noticed that the Rulebook set a limit for Leadership modification at 4. Where is that stated?
I dunno, if it exists, perhaps it's to prevent flagrant fear of darkness-type abuses? Imagine if you could automatically force everything within 12" to run away, that would be incredibly broken, instead of just "very powerful" like it is now.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I think it is in combat. You can never have more than a -4. I don't think that takes into consideration things like deamonic visage and the like though. Just outnumbered etc.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 04:05   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

There is nothing about it in the rulebook. The example they give describes a case where it drops to 4, but it can potentially drop lower (although you will still pass on a 2).