Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Played my first game against Blood Angels yesterday.
Old 13 May 2007, 19:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Played my first game against Blood Angels yesterday.

And it wasn't my best by a long-shot. My bro's back from vacation and his vanilla marines thumped me pretty bad. Although we both winced at the incredible amount of snake-eyes that kept coming up (he admitted he's never seen so many 1's and 2's while rolling 20+ die), I feel that my list wasn't as tight as it could've been.

Here's a quick rundown of what we brought to the field, with some proxying, because I'm a student and he's recently unemployed.

Tau:

1 Shas'el, Fireknife with shield drone
2 Shas'ui, Fireknife (Deep Strike)
12 Bonded FW's, Shas'ui with markerlight
12 Bonded FW's, Shas'ui with markerlight
2 Broadsides, with shield drone
Ionhead with all the trimmings
Sniper Drones

Ironically, the last two lived as the sniper got boxcars on his morale and somehow outran the assault marines. The Ionhead left (retreated) past my line as it was under very heavy fire and we were well into turn 9 and both tired.

Space Marines
1 Commander, Jump pack
1 Dreadnaught (Deep strike)
1 Dreadnaught (Deep strike)
3 Assault bikes, with heavy bolter sidecars
5 Tactical Marines, with sarge, plasma and missile
5 Tactical Marines, with sarge, plasma and missile
6 Assault marines, led by chaplain with chainswords and a power weapon
2 Rhino APC's to drive his Tac Marines around

Through incredibly cruddy rolls, I managed to pop one of his rhinos first turn, but thankfully for him, only one broadside actually hit anything the whole game, before a violent chainsword dead, and the sniper drones and markerlights didn't actually get to make an appearance.

One final thing to keep in mind - this was just a thrown together list I made, and by no means my 'best'. I haven't played SM yet and was just kinda feeling around. Also, for deep strike - does a player roll for every unit in reserves or chose one and roll for them? I felt kinda funny about him deploying both Dreads behind my lines on the second turn and mentioned it once, but he said it's how deep strike is supposed to go.

Thanks in advance all
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Played my first game against blood yesterday.

I think that your bro is right about deep striking but how can dreads deep strike?? :-\

or are they using drop pod assault.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Played my first game against Blood Angels yesterday.

According to the Reserves rule you select a unit and then roll for that unit. you do not roll on Turn 1, but can bring a unit out on Turn 2 with a 4+.

I wish you didn't have to bring them out ASAP and was able to decide when you need them , but according to the rules you may not delay bringing a unit out.

I know why the rule is there but it would be nice as the commander of my troops to make the decision when they are needed.

I also think you ment Drop Pods, because I am pretty sure Dreads can not deep strike.
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Arrgh! Just read this... Turn 2 is 4+??? I've been playing with 2/6+ 3/5+ 4/4+ 5/3+ 6/2+.....
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 01:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is true, he was using drop pods, I should've mentioned that.

For our upcoming game, I suspect he'll be loading most of his points into one or two units, like he always seems to. I personally forsee a terminator-librarian with a retinue driving a land-raider directly into my lines. Hopefully by dividing my railguns into two one-man broadside teams, i'll have a better chance to pop it before it hits me.

As for the drop pods/deep strike, I wasn't aware that all people in reserves have a chance to come in at the same time. I thought that should he have 3 things in reserve, only one unit may enter the game per turn, on a successful roll.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No. You roll for everything every turn, and those that come on come on, depending on what you roll, and what turn it is.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 04:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Popping a drop pod is an activity I've found highly entertaining. Killing the single gun is pretty irrelevant, but inflicting wounds on the clustered squad nearby is fun.

Fighting a drop pod army tends to be rather luck dependant, though. If they all come in on the same turn, on target in the right spot, you can end up pretty screwed.

If they trickle in slowly and/or scatter poorly, life looks a LOT better for you.

Yeah, you roll for each unit independantly. Sniper drones are not a terribly good choice for missions like this, as they don't start on the board, and as you count as moving the turn you come in, thats a bare minimum of two turns they'll be useless, possibly quite a bit more.

It's certainly not all luck, just more so than most armies. They can sometimes be pretty frustrating for one of the two players. Don't sweat it too much.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote