Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

T.A. on mounted transports and what upgrades do you recommend for vehicles?
Old 11 May 2007, 02:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default T.A. on mounted transports and what upgrades do you recommend for vehicles?

I was wondering about the Targeting Array and what it does. I got in an argument saying that the 5 points go with the transport and not each indivdual infantry model. It states something like this (can't use exact words for copyright issues) a new technoledgy used by vechile mounted targetting networks grants user +1 Bs up to 5. It does not state the points in the infantry armory, but the vehicle armory. In the vehicle armory it says it increases the vehicle's Bs up by 1 to a max of 5. So first of all does it mean that for 10 points that I increases my mounted FWs Bs up to 5 or is it 5 points per model? Second if yes to the first question then do I have to but a T.A. for the vehicle+the squad or do I have to pay seperately? If so would you recomend getting a T.A. for my transports? Also does the HH Targeting Array help with my FW squad or not (I think not but decided it was worth asking). Last of all what would you recomend for my transports and my Hammer Heads. I allways have at least 1 railhead with a switchable for my second so I coul have a railhead or ionhead. My upgrades so far are multitracker, T.A. for devilfish if it is a yes to my questions and for my HH a multitracker and SMS, thinking of possibly switching it with pulse carbines.
Old 11 May 2007, 03:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: T.A. on mounted transports and what upgrades do you recomend for vehicles?

1st. You may only have one targetting array per transport. The maximum a devilfish(the only tau transport outside of fw fliers) BS can be is thus four.

2nd. It affects the transport only, NOT the passengers. Note that this is even true for the drones. On a vanilla DF, this means only the burst cannon is upgraded.

3rd. Posting exact point costs of upgrades is bad.

4th. Please proofread. Please.

5th. TAs are fine upgrades, even with only a burst cannon. I really suggest decoy launchers, though, as a DF is a great vehicle, but getting it downed with troops inside can put a serious crimp in plans. Other than those two, I leave them as is, but the warfish config is also popular(a quick search should find detailed tacticas and the like)

6th. For increasing squads BS in the way you seem to want, try markerlights.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 03:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: T.A. on mounted transports and what upgrades do you recomend for vehicles?

Then why do they have it in the infantry armory?
Old 11 May 2007, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

It's not in my infantry armory...what codex are you using? Tau Empire or Tau?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 03:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkkrusher
Then why do they have it in the infantry armory?
It isn't. It is in both Battlesuit and vehicle listings, but in any case, a TA only will ever affect the model equipped with it. Frankly, even if I could buy it for FWs, at the price per model that it costs in either of the other lists, I wouldn't.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 03:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm using Tau Empire codex, it is on page 28 you can go check it out. They don't list points, they just write a small article, it is really easy to miss. If I have to I will take a picture and e-mail it to you.

What you do over email is your affair, but don't discuss it on the forums. - Khanaris
Old 11 May 2007, 04:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They don't have it in the infantry armoury. They have it in the Battlesuit Armoury. It does look like it is in the Infantry Armoury, but it is not. If you start at page 25 all the definitions of the actual item will take you to the top of page 28, (where it might look like it is the Infantry Armoury but it is not).

You can only purchase one per vehicle or battlesuit. What the "grants the user +1 BS, up to BS 5" means, if you had a marker light and used it's +1 BS, the vehicle would max out at 5 with the TA. You can't exceed a 5 BS.
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 04:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

There are 2 types of TA's.
One is the Battlesuit variant (listed on pg. 25) which is only used by the battlesuit equipped with it.
The other is the Vehicle variant (listed on pg. 30) which is only used by the vehicle equipped with it.

The only wargear open to infantry is in the Infantry Armoury on pg.28 in that box in the middle of the page. If it's not listed under Infantry Wargear you can't equip it on your infantry models. Just because the description of the TA is on the same page does not mean it's part of the Infantry Armoury. It is part of the Battlesuit armory, and was put on pg. 28 because that's how far the descriptions for Battlesuit wargear go.

Past that, most infantry models do not have access to the Infantry Armoury, only Shas'ui team leaders and Ethereals do.

Quote:
So first of all does it mean that for 10 points that I increases my mounted FWs Bs up to 5 or is it 5 points per model?
No

Quote:
Also does the HH Targeting Array help with my FW squad or not (I think not but decided it was worth asking).
No, both are compleatly differnt units, why would they both benefit from one piece of wargear? Can your FW shoot the HH's railgun? I don't even understand how you are connecting these two independent units.

Quote:
for my HH a multitracker and SMS, thinking of possibly switching it with pulse carbines.
The HH can either get 2 Burst cannons, 2 drones, or an SMS. I'm guessing you ment the two gun drones when you said pulse carbines. IMO don't get the drones, thier expensive, and you lose a lot of firepower. Either stick with the Burst cannons, or upgrade to the SMS.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:00   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: T.A. on mounted transports and what upgrades do you recommend for vehicles?

Orange covered it. The Vehicle Target Lock has absolutely nothing to do with a unit being transported. It is in the infantry armor because Crisis Suits can take them.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote