Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gue'vesa:POW fighters or Tau fighters?
View Poll Results: I have heard many different stories about the ones captured in the Damocles Gulf Crusade, but which
They fight because its better than getting executed. 1 2.86%
They fight because they truly believe in the Greater Good. 21 60.00%
They don't want to go home because they will be killed as heretics. 13 37.14%
They have small chips in their brain that make them do the bidding of the Tau. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 May 2007, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Gue'vesa:POW fighters or Tau fighters?

I'm so confused :'(
Lt. Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Gue'vesa:POW fighters or Tau fighters?

For the original post-Damocles Gue'vesa, it was probably a combination of the first 3, especially the 3rd. Although I don't think the Tau were ever going to execute them (option 1), just keep them as POWs.

The Gue'vesa of the 3rd sphere are probably a different matter entirely. After 250 years of living in Tau society they are probably motivated entirely by option 2.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Et bien, mon lieutennant, pouvons-moi expliquer...
(it's bad French, but says along the lines "Very well my good lieutenent, let me explain...."

Now, this is just my opinion, but here is what I believe:

The human auxilaries are POW's who have pledged their allegiance to the Tau Empire and have been found wanting to further the "Greater Good." They are also "deserters" or civilians who have found the "Greater Good" and think it better than what the Imperium has to offer(ie disillusioned). It is also possible that they would be tortured for informationt and/or executed(if the Inquisition is like their upon their well-believed popularization, and the Salem Witch trials.) return to the Imperium for just being on a Tau world.

But that's just me. I'm sure others will believe other theories, and I'll leave them to explain themselves
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My take is this:

Ex-Imperial Guard/captured folks are fighting primarily to avoid consequences. These may be execution, life imprisonment, eternal reeducation, whatever.

Second Gen Gue'vasa, and especially Third Gen Gue'vasa, are fighting for the typical reasons humans become soldiers for their governments. Some believe the in the Greater Good, some just want to be Shas rather than Kor, some are driven to defend their homeland, some are desperate and need the money, etc.

I don't see any fluff evidence for the Tau-human mind control chips.
Old 09 May 2007, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess a good argument against the "POWs forced to fight" theory is that the Tau give them access to some of their equipment - Pulse Rifles and Carbines, Markerlights, EMP Grenades, and other stuff - some of it quite potent stuff, which could be used against the Tau.
So I think they are trusted and valued allies, who fight for the Greater Good because they honestly believe in it - or at least want to keep the perks i offers them (as mentioned in one WD-story where an ex-IG explained that the Tau offered them to settle the planet they were fighting over - something which they would most probably would`ve never gotten in the service under the Emperor).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
So I think they are trusted and valued allies, who fight for the Greater Good because they honestly believe in it - or at least want to keep the perks i offers them (as mentioned in one WD-story where an ex-IG explained that the Tau offered them to settle the planet they were fighting over - something which they would most probably would`ve never gotten in the service under the Emperor).
Well, you do have to remember that that was written as a propaganda piece.... I beleive that the 1st generation Gue'Vesa fight for the tau mainly because of option three. The later generations, I beleive, would be recruited in many different ways. Some might be conscripted, others might be patriotic volunteers, ect...
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I read somewhere that Farsight was going to execute those who refused to become gue'vesa after the democles gulf crusade.
And..
at the end of the tau campaign in DOWC*, they made an omenous reference to what sorts of horrid things (*cough*bullcrap*cough*) the tau could be doing to keep the gue'vesa in line.

*Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Lt. Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 21:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think that most humans that live in tau space believe in the Greater good after living there for thesecond gen but when they were left in tau space theres no way to get back with out bing executed so they just made the best they could of what they had.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 22:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Most of gue'vesa are original inhabitant of 3rd sphere worlds. Tau do not exterminate conquered population if they are willing to join greater good.

If you play Dark Crusade, you will know that Tau caste system is unique. Gue'la caste can became everything. They can became farmer, factory worker, mercenary or lucky enough to be archaeologist from local water caste university.

Tau military also unique. They employ mercenary to perform any task that they are not good at. Kroot employed to deal with CC. Niscassar for recon and stellar cartography. Hruud for fighting imperium. Vespid for their wings, their unique weapon and their rending claw. Demiurg for space ship construction. Gue'la because there are plenty of them.
Lunaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 22:36   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It will vary. A fifth option is that the Gue'vesa were perfectly happy settling the worlds left behind by the Crusade, and fight for the Tau as volunteers for the same reason that an Imperial Guard Regiment might fight for the Imperium. They may not believe in the Tau philosophy as much as the Tau themselves do, but they are still going to want to help defend their home.

The first Gue'Vesa didn't have much choice. The Tau were willing to let them settle down on those planets if they agreed to be part of the Empire. If they refused, I have to think the Tau would have kept them in internment camps until they could figure out what to do with them. And since the Imperium probably wouldn't want them back at that point, they didn't have a lot of options. And the Tau really didn't ask that much from them, going to far as to allow them to worship the Emperor as they chose (although the Tau may not have understood precisely what this meant).

The modern Gue'Vesa colonies probably aren't all that different from the average prosporous colony world in the Imperium. The Tau don't seem to take much of an interest in the day-to-day administration of their vassal worlds. And I have to think their level of equipment has improved since then, since they would be able to draw from sections of the technology bases of both the Imperium and the Tau. Modern Gue'Vesa are probably better-represented as Fire Warriors than with their original rules. I just mix them in with my other Pulse Rifle squads.

They are definitely not belligerent prisoners of war, nor is there any evidence that the Tau even have the technology for mind-control implants, let alone any desire to make use of them on humans.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote