Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Drones on Broadsides? Your thoughts?
Old 09 May 2007, 12:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Marker Drones on Broadsides? Your thoughts?

I was making up a new army list today, and started running into problems with how to incorporate Markerlights into the army. I'm not a fan of Pathfinders (die too easily, cost too much) so normally I put a Marker Drone in each of my static Fire Warrior teams (which is two or three). However, this method simply dosen't work with mechanized Fire Warriors (which I am increasingly leaning towards).

I was running over the options I'd thought of or read about on TO in my head, when I came up with something I hadn't heard of before. Put the Marker Drones in the Broadside teams.

I normally run two teams of two Broadsides with two shield drones in each team, so fitting Broadsides into my army isn't a problem. With Broadsides, you have an extremely durable platform on which to place your Marker Drones, as well as not having to worry about the loss of mobilty (as Broadsides are by nature static anyway).

However, I started having doubts when I remembered that I hadn't even heard of this as a valid option on any of the threads here. This seems to indicate that there is some reason for not using the idea that I've been missing.

What are your thoughts?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Marker Drones on Broadsides? Your thoughts?

Would the drones not be a little too static due to the Broadside's lack of mobility? I think that this way the drones would only be able to light units that come close... Unlike Pathfinders that are farther in the field...

Anyone going further pls as per lack of my experience?

Joe
Old 09 May 2007, 12:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Have you considered them In stealth squad?

Minimum size stealth squad, Squad leader with markelight and marker drones plus team member with two markerdrones. Third member with fusionblaster and target lock.

4 networked markerlights, one burstcannon/markerlight, one burstcannon, fusionblaster.

Can infiltrate, forces the night fight roll and has some close range firepower if someone comes looking for the squad closer (not to mention jetpacks for relocation)

Of course, this will cost (quick check: 215 points?) and one elite slot, but hey, it is mean.

You can also settle for 2 markerlight drones. instead if you are on tight budget.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 14:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Have you considered them In stealth squad?

Minimum size stealth squad, Squad leader with markelight and marker drones plus team member with two markerdrones. Third member with fusionblaster and target lock.
It is very unlikely that anything would ever get close enough to let you melta them (or that you should ever let them), so I would skip the fusion blaster. The longer range and additional dakka is far more useful. Also, a Targeting array on the team leader bumps that akward BS3 to a very reliable BS4, which is VITAL for a markerlight.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I hadn't thought of putting marker drones with broadsides, because I outfit mine the same as you; two shield drones on the team leader. I guess you could replace one shield drone, in each unit, with a marker drone. So, you would statistically get one markerlight hit per turn, but at what cost. A.S.S becomes nullified since you can't move and shoot the markerlight, but with two units of broadsides you might get good enough coverage so that you don't need the mobility.

The other problem I see is their save and toughness. Because it is lower than everything else in the squad, they will only become casualties with range and LOS sniping. This may sound good, but if the drone controlling XV88 goes down, there goes the markerlight. The chances of loosing that broadside are greater because you don't have that second shield drone to soak up fire. Of course the unit would be 15 points more expensive too.

I would say try it out and let everyone know how it worked. What's the worst that could happen....you loose horribly? O well, one must learn from their mistakes.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Marker drone with broadsides = 3x targetting arrays.

The marker drone only works half the time, the targetting arrays always do, and they don't care about range or splitting fire.

No, I don't run marker drones in a broadside squad, and I never will.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 04:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Ah, but Targeting Arrays cannot launch Seeker Missiles, nor can they boost the wounds of a model or add +1BS to a different team. And if you are already buying a Drone Controller, slap a Shield and Marker Drone on it. Majority save/T are the Broadsides' and Shield Drone, meaning the drones are removed first. Then the Marker Drones. THEN the Broadside. It's still protected, but not as much as if it had had all Shield Drones.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 05:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

A marker drone offers little in protection compared to a shield drone. And the fact that its twice the price and then you've lost the benefits of it is kind of an issue.

And...if something can survive a salvo of broadsides firing at it, of what use will a seeker missile be? Besides, thats even more points lost.

In general, broadsides are vehicle killers. Markerlights offer nothing against vehicles except boosted BS and lauched seekers. Occasionally they double as large creature killers...but if the railguns connect, there really isn't normally a need for the other effects. No, it's much better to make sure the railguns actually hit, because if they miss, your markerlight hit certainly isn't going to make up for it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 05:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I aggre with Tyndmyr on this, use TA's not marker drones for Broadsides.

Personally, if I play a more static list I will throw in a team of 3 Broadsides ktted out as follows

Broadside team leader, TA, HWTL, 2 shield drones
Broadside, TA
Broadside, TA
Total = 280 points

There is a real dirty trick you can pull in deployment with this team.
X=Broadsides
0=Shield drones
_ = 1 inch

X_ _ X _ _ 0 _ _ 0 _ _ X

What makes this so nasty is that there is about a 15" range of coverage by railguns on the ends that can shoot at seperate targets.

I once did this to a marine player and took out a razorback and a land raider in the first turn.

Just be carefull to scree the unit with plenty of Kroot, FW's, an/or Sniper Drones or they are likely to be caught in CC.

Additionally, clever opponents may try to maneuvor a unit to snipe the drone controller off of the end of the line, thus removing both Shield drones to boot.

But other than that this is a damn fine unit capable of providing anti tank fire lane control over most of the board.
Old 10 May 2007, 06:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's a perfectly legal tactic Faolin, nothing against the rules. Though the BS unit is probably one of the best places for a FW unit, it's still just not the greatest of ideas. Marker drones are expensive (strike 1). They don't have the same T and Sv as broadsides meaning that majority T and majority Sv rules will eventually be a pain somewhere (strike 2). And....well their god awefull expensive > (strike 3).