Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Awesome game tonight!
Old 09 May 2007, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default [BatRep] Awesome game tonight!

Just got back for an awesome 2000pt game against a great space wolf guy. This'll basically be by memory, so it's not 100% accurate. Was trying out a hybrid list for a change in order to test out some sniper drones.

My list:

-2 Fireknife/targeting array shas'els (I'd REALLY like to be more interesting, but can never find the pts)
-6 stealths
-2 targeting array deathrain suits
-2 10 man fire warrior squads in devilfishes
-1 12 man fire warrior squad
-10 kroot+shaper+4 hounds
-2 independant piranhas
-8 Pathfinders w devilfish
-2 sniper drone teams
-2 broadsides with target locks and 2 shield drones
-Railhead

His list:

-Wolf Lord with all the trimmings
-Rune Priest on bike with all the trimmings
-Venerable Dread (Plasma)
-3 6 man Grey Hunter units, 1 power fist, 1 plasma gun and one plasma pistol in each. All in rhinos
-BIG Blood Claw unit (probably max size)
-Sniper scout squad
-4 wolf scouts
-landspeeder tornado
-2 predator annihilators
-whirlwind

We rolled up a gamma secure and control mission with 4 objectives. He got 1st turn.

Turn 1: He hits the gas on his rhinos, drives up fell speed an unloads the grey hunters just within rapid fire range of my kroot and 1 sniper team. Rhinos are used to shield the blood claws and his 2 characters from the snipers and the kroot. His whirlwind kills a couple pathfinders and fire warriors, but they pass their checks. The Grey Hunters only manage to kill a single sniper drone and a kroot hound (god bless cover saves) He tries to shoot the other sniper team with his snipers but rolls just out of range for his night fight. Predators immobilize and blow the fusion blaster off a piranha. In reply I tear through his Grey Hunters Only 2 are left standing and they're pinned. Although i was forced into a highly risky FoF with my devilfish mounted fire warrior squads. The mobile piranha speeds up the flank going for a kamikaze rush on his whirlwind. One annihilator is shaken, the other loses it's TL lascannon. a few of his snipers are burst cannoned to death. The sniper drones really shone in this turn accounting for about 4 of his men and really racking up the marker tokens. A rare confident grin appears on my face

Turn 2: His continues to use his rhinos to shield his blood claws, characters, and the two poor pinned grey hunters. Whirlwind blows away most of a fire warrior squad, but they pass their check. Piranha gets stunned. Speeder kills a bunch of pathfinders. Wolf scouts show up and nuke a commander, but are unable to charge. My marker units were for the most part useless, beginning a trend that would last the rest of the game. I really need to invest in a command and control node. Speeder gets stunned. Wolf scouts get obliterated. More sniper scouts die. Fire warriors hop back into their tanks

Turn 3: He charges the Kroot with the bike mounted rune priest. Blows the railgun off of the hammerhead and stuns it. Piranha dies horrbly. Then, it happened. With the words "I'm pulling a lil trick a friend taught me" he repeated a trick I had used against his dreadnought long ago. The two no longer pinned greny hunters hopped into their rhino, sped around the back of a devilfish and opened fire. Not that spectacular a result, but at least I wouldn't be shooting next turn. Kroot wound the rune priest and hold. My shooting fails miserably. I shake a predator, blow the asscannon off the speeder and see off the sniper scouts. Kroot almost kill the rune priest, he kills more, they hold. I desperately try to kill the rhino with those 2 greay hunters in it, but get nowhere. Pathfinders and sniper drones prove incompetent.

Turn 4: He charges his blood claws in to help his rune priest. Kroot die horribly. He massacres into the sniper drones. The 2 grey hunters charge a fire warrior team, and trade kills 1 for 1. I immobilize and blow the plasma cannon off the dreadnought with my shooting and finally kill that damned speeder. Predator is shaken and loses a lascannon. Sniper drones die horribly in combat. He pfists a few fire warriors to death, but they hold.

Turn 5: Due to time constraints we decide this will be the last turn. He realizes that he has moved his blood claws in too deep to take the objective on their flank, but moves his predator full throttle, claiming the other (we had 2 on each flank). He fires a few rhino storm bolters at the pathfinders and they decide they've seen enough. Blood Claws and both characters charge in in support of the last grey hunter and butcher the fire warriors. However, in a final act of defiance, the shas'ui manages to kill the rune priest! ;D His massacre falls just short. I move my hammerhead and devilfishes over to the objectives and take them. We decide that I have the game I not only have 2 objectives, and with the punishment I would've surely inflicted on the Blood Claws I would've finished ahead in vps.

So, my opponent manages to claw his way back in and make the game come down to the final dice roll after it looked like I had it in the bag. The clever use of rhinos was what I feel allowed him to do this, proving that the 41st millenium's rolling steel coffin isn't so useless after all. I made sure to high-five him when he repeated that rhino drive-by trick I had used on him months and months ago. We both suffered from some horrendous luck, him on his pinning checks ealry on and me on targeting checks mid-late game. As with the best of games, it all came down to one dice roll. If that massacre roll hadn't come up a 3 the whole thing probably would've been a draw, the damage those blood claws could've inflicted would've ensured that, even making up for my advantage in loot counters.

So a GREAT game against a great space wolf player

Just added the battle report tag, nice report man!
Vash113
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 10:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: [BatRep] Awesome game tonight!

Sounds like an awesome game.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How does this Rhino trick work?

Did the guys inside pop the hatch and fire from inside the vehicle? Or was it just the Stormbolter shooting? How far did the Rhino move?
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's top hatch firing. It's just infantry firing from the vehicle so it's not bound by the vehicle shooting restrictions. Of course they count as moving, but Grey Hunters can't get heavy weapons anyway. And Rhinos can only go 12" which just happens to be the "cut off" for infantry firing from a vehicle. He only inflicted a "crew shaken" on my devilfish, but I've seen it do a whole lot more.

The original use of this this trick down at my local shop was when I had just disembarked a chaos marine squad armed with 2 plasma guns and fired on one of his units. In his turn he drop podded a venerable dread in. Now my plasmas could either have fired on the front of it, but instead they hopped into the rhino and drove around the back, getting me a shot at the rear armour and resulting in the destruction of the dreadnought.

The fact that he used the same trick I had used on him all those months ago is what made it so great
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow excellent fight sir! Look forward to the next one.
Old 11 May 2007, 03:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Excellent battle! The Greater Good prevails once again over the Imperium! (I like fighting Imperium players they are my favorite opponets.)