Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun Drone Squadron
Closed Thread
Old 19 Feb 2005, 22:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Gun Drone Squadron

Are they useful? I am thinking about making one. Isn't a Gun Drone Squadron made up of 4 Drones?
Old 19 Feb 2005, 23:17   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Gun Drone Squadron

Yes, I think they are very useful. Just compare it to a pathfinder. They both take up a fast-attack choice, they cost the same, and they have the same armor. But although though drones have a lower BS, their guns are twin-linked. Also, drones have jetpacks making them more mobile and a higher initiative for close combat. I use drones for picking off troops and attacking the rear and sides of a vehicle. Finally, a gune-drone squad is made up of 4-8 drones, not just 4.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Pathfinder:

Gundrones squads are wonderful units. The perfect fast attack for Tau in my opinion. For a small price, you have a very versitile squad that has the Tau Jetpack and a twin-linked pulse carbine. That means good medium range (effectively 24 inches if you move forward and fire) that causes pinning. They've got the same stats as the rest of the Tau army, but have the highest initiative. This doesn't mean they should be in combat, but it means they get a chance to hit some things at the same time they're attacked on the average.

Pros:
Tau jetpack - They can move pretty good. They can deepstrike (meaning, great for tank busting, harrassment)
Cheap - They're leaps and bounds cheaper than your pathfinder options. So you can field several of these. You won't be worried about losing squads of these.
Models - You get them with most Tau units you purhcase, so you don't have to go out and buy a bunch of expensive models to quickly form a new unit.
Combat - Great unit for absorbing assaulting units while you can get into place with guns to mop the floor with them when combat is over.

Cons:
Average leadership - They have a special rule that will drop their leadership extremely low should they take heavy casualty.

When it comes to fast attack, this is the only unit I generally field, as they're great buffers. In games that deepstrike is used, I hold them back so that I can drop them down behind hulldown tanks and transports, or hiding heavy troops. They're perfect for this since they're cheap and you have a reasonable chance to glance and keep something from firing a bit. This can be very valuable giving you the chance to move around easier and possibly keep a stranded squad live, should they have had an unfortunate event. You can also fly forward of the army with these and keep a close watch on fast moving assault troops. These can harass and cause pin checks where you wound and force an assault when the opponent wanted to move instead to go for more valuable targets. Best of all though, is that a small squad is cheap and quite effective since they can move, shoot and hide. You can strafe terrain and just harass and hide afterwards. Many games, the drones were never even touched since they weren't an inviting target, compared to hammerheads and battle suits floating about. And if they are shot to bits, it's better that they died instead of firewarriors or suits.

Overall a great unit.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 23:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

In a way there sort of cheep for what they do, their almost identical to FWs, but for 2 more points you get deep striking, jump jets, I4, and a full squad of pulse carbines.
On the down side, their LD takes a dive when the squad is reduced to 3 models, and they cant have pulse rifles, or grenades.
And about their bs, it may look lower, but do the math and its exactly the same as a FWs, technecally better, 55% vs 50% to hit.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 00:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I see them as the perfect candidate for Deep Strike. If it all goes horribly wrong you will not have lost as many points as if it was your crisis or stealth team. Plus opponents will often underestimate the humble drone, seeing the BS2 and thinking them to be harmless when compared to the nastiness that appears in the form of some of the other tau units
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 20 Feb 2005, 03:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird

I really see potential for them party they are cheaper than pathfinders and have more mobility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I see them as the perfect candidate for Deep Strike. If it all goes horribly wrong you will not have lost as many points as if it was your crisis or stealth team. Plus opponents will often underestimate the humble drone, seeing the BS2 and thinking them to be harmless when compared to the nastiness that appears in the form of some of the other tau units
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
In a way there sort of cheep for what they do, their almost identical to FWs, but for 2 more points you get deep striking, jump jets, I4, and a full squad of pulse carbines.
On the down side, their LD takes a dive when the squad is reduced to 3 models, and they cant have pulse rifles, or grenades.
And about their bs, it may look lower, but do the math and its exactly the same as a FWs, technically better, 55% vs 50% to hit.
But you do have to give something up for mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Pathfinder:

Gundrones squads are wonderful units. The perfect fast attack for Tau in my opinion. For a small price, you have a very versatile squad that has the Tau Jetpack and a twin-linked pulse carbine. That means good medium range (effectively 24 inches if you move forward and fire) that causes pinning. They've got the same stats as the rest of the Tau army, but have the highest initiative. This doesn't mean they should be in combat, but it means they get a chance to hit some things at the same time they're attacked on the average.

Pros:
Tau jetpack - They can move pretty good. They can deepstrike (meaning, great for tank busting, harassment)
Cheap - They're leaps and bounds cheaper than your pathfinder options. So you can field several of these. You won't be worried about losing squads of these.
Models - You get them with most Tau units you purchase, so you don't have to go out and buy a bunch of expensive models to quickly form a new unit.
Combat - Great unit for absorbing assaulting units while you can get into place with guns to mop the floor with them when combat is over.

Cons:
Average leadership - They have a special rule that will drop their leadership extremely low should they take heavy casualty.

When it comes to fast attack, this is the only unit I generally field, as they're great buffers. In games that deepstrike is used, I hold them back so that I can drop them down behind hulldown tanks and transports, or hiding heavy troops. They're perfect for this since they're cheap and you have a reasonable chance to glance and keep something from firing a bit. This can be very valuable giving you the chance to move around easier and possibly keep a stranded squad live, should they have had an unfortunate event. You can also fly forward of the army with these and keep a close watch on fast moving assault troops. These can harass and cause pin checks where you wound and force an assault when the opponent wanted to move instead to go for more valuable targets. Best of all though, is that a small squad is cheap and quite effective since they can move, shoot and hide. You can strafe terrain and just harass and hide afterwards. Many games, the drones were never even touched since they weren't an inviting target, compared to hammerheads and battle suits floating about. And if they are shot to bits, it's better that they died instead of firewarriors or suits.

Overall a great unit.
So true. And when you think about it the pros's outweigh to con's

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Old 20 Feb 2005, 05:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

i find that people often underestimate the effectiveness of drones. BS2 makes them look bad.

PS Warbird, do u have to quote everything?
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I also like drones. I think the LD rule is dumb and really nerfs them, but overall they're cool, fluffy, and are generally a low priority target for most people so they give you something to harass the enemy. They also can be used to absorb or redirect assaults which is a good thing.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 14:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for helping me. I'm gonna go make a Gun Drone Squadron now ;D!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good for you. Of course part of the reason I use them also happens to be I have about 30+ drones....

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread