Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Secondary weapons on Skyrays
Old 08 May 2007, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Secondary weapons on Skyrays

Hey folks. Just wondering what peoples opinion on the secondary loadouts on skyrays should be. (Burst,SMS,G-Drones)

I'm thinking the gun drones might be the best option as my skyray is mostly a stay-back and support vehicle where the range of the burst and SMS rarely come into use whereas the drones at the very least become a mini no-VP harassment unit with JSJ and (albeit slight chance of pinning).

P.S. [sub]please assume I AM using the skyray...I'm not asking for a debate on whether or not the skyray should be used at all. [/sub]

Old 08 May 2007, 15:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Secondary weapons on Skyrays

I would go with the SMS. The reason is the no LOS needed to shoot. If you're going to pay 20 pts for it then you should get a lot of bang for your buck. If it's just a support tank, then take the Burst cannons as they are half the cost of the SMS or drones.
Old 08 May 2007, 15:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Aias Send a message via MSN to Aias

While using the drones might be an appealing option, especially since it would give you an extra unit out on the field, I don't see them being that useful. They're not particularly durable, and won't have all that many wounds that they will actually inflict, especially against an MEQ army.

However, should something actually get through your lines, or heaven forbid deep strike next to the Skyray, it'll be fairly defenseless. I'd stick with Burst cannons, as the high volume of fire will help you in dealing with threats that might appear nearby.

An SMS may be a better choice, but I haven't actually used them that much, so I am not actually in a position to debate that chocie's worthiness. However, if your local meta includes a lot of deep strike (heaven knows mine does -_-), I'd definitely leave off the drones in favor of a better defense of your Skyray.

Edit: note to self, contemplate SMS in my next army...

Shepard Book once told me, "Can't do something smart, do something right."
Aias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would use a SMS. Then NOTHING on your Skyray would need LOS. Strength 8 and 5 shots coming from behind a forest or ruin are a REALLY great way to psyche out you opponent
Old 08 May 2007, 16:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aias

An SMS may be a better choice, but I haven't actually used them that much, so I am not actually in a position to debate that chocie's worthiness. However, if your local meta includes a lot of deep strike (heaven knows mine does -_-), I'd definitely leave off the drones in favor of a better defense of your Skyray.

Edit: note to self, contemplate SMS in my next army...
Aias, the SMS is so nice for those times when you REALLY need to shoot the crap out of those Gene Stealers behind the woods. 4 shots, str and AP of a pulse round, 24 inch range... and NO LOS needed. I never mount burst cannons as they seem silly to me. Why put myself into melta range if I can avoid it.
Old 08 May 2007, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Most of these suggestions sound like they apply more to a HH or Warfish. I use the Skyray more in the way Khanaris suggested in another thread currently circulating......

Quote:
Skyrays are a platform for carrying Markerlights. The Seeker Missiles are a secondary weapon.
In which case the Skyray is acting a little more like a SM whirlwind with Networked markerlights (which do need line of sight KCKitsune )

I understand that detaching the drones might leave the skyray defenseless but similarly the whirlwind is pretty much always defenseless, whereas the drones could always run interference for the vehicle. Plus I generally play a hybrid list and would usually have something fairly close to help deal with deep-strikers.
Old 08 May 2007, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulehvalen
I would use a SMS. Then NOTHING on your Skyray would need LOS. Strength 8 and 5 shots coming from behind a forest or ruin are a REALLY great way to psyche out you opponent
Except the Markerlights. And not planning on using them is ignoring the main weapon on a skyray.

Drones should never be used as a secondary weapons system on a heavy skimmer. Burst cannons could fire once in the entire game and be more efficient for the points.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Aias Send a message via MSN to Aias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Aias, the SMS is so nice for those times when you REALLY need to shoot the Klkn out of those Gene Stealers behind the woods. 4 shots, str and AP of a pulse round, 24 inch range... and NO LOS needed. I never mount burst cannons as they seem silly to me. Why put myself into melta range if I can avoid it.
Thanks KCKitsune. I hadn't really paid attention, I guess, or I should've seen that... better late than never, eh? And get to pull a surprise on the opponent, too, which is always nice.

Shepard Book once told me, "Can't do something smart, do something right."
Aias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with Tyndmyr, the burst cannons are cheaper and more effective.

Even if they don't fire, it is one extra weapon that can be blown off for armament destroyed results. With GD's there are no primary weapons(I don't think seekers count) to blow off, so any armament destroyed results mean immobilized which is likely death if you moved over 6".

So stick with the BC's
Old 08 May 2007, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
I agree with Tyndmyr, the burst cannons are cheaper and more effective.

Even if they don't fire, it is one extra weapon that can be blown off for armament destroyed results. With GD's there are no primary weapons(I don't think seekers count) to blow off, so any armament destroyed results mean immobilized which is likely death if you moved over 6".

So stick with the BC's
I actually run my Skyray as a harasser craft with burst cannons. That big AV13 armor front allows it to soak punishment like nobody's business. Usually I run it paralell to a couple of similarly tasked Devilfishes or Warfishes, and use the Sky ray to flank and then sweep the enemy flanks. Since the turret is very sleek it decreases its appearance as a threat (whereas my Railhead with it's 6" gun makes a much more intimidating target), so that I may expend it's seekers at liesure, pinging small units with the burst cannunens, and highlighting important targets with the markerlights. By the time they've gotten around to killing it, it's already earned it's points back in medium and light vehicles, as well as infantry.

And yes, the seeker missiles count as a vehicle weapon system, so can be therefore removed by a weapon destroyed result. Markerlights, on the other hand, are not S4+, so cannot be removed on a weapon destroyed result. :P
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote