Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels Strengths/Weaknesses (rough overview vs. Tau)?
Old 08 May 2007, 13:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Dark Angels Strengths/Weaknesses (rough overview vs. Tau)?

Hi,

Do you have experience with fighting Ravenwing armies of Dark Angels - mainly Bike squadrons supported with DA skimmers and possibly other support units?

What would be the strenghts and weaknesses of such a DA army (their mobility for one) vs. a Tau force?

And with a 1000 pts. (roughly) of Ravenwing what would be the best Tau-counter to them?

Very rough list of DA (from a WIP army building from my friend):
Code:
HQ: 
Sammael, Gran Master of Ravenwing 

Troops: 

2xRavenwing attack squadron 
6x Bike, 1x Attack bike 

1xRavenwing support squadron 
2x Land Speeder (1xmultimelta/typhoon louncher 1xheavy bolter/assault cannon)
He is fiddling with the Weapons yet, maybe towards melta on Attack bikes. And he is also thinking about dropping the Land Speeder and adding another Bike Unit.

What do you think? (not about the army as it is a WIP yet, but about the DA force as an opponent to Tau?)

Joe
Old 08 May 2007, 14:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Dark Angels Strengths/Weaknesses (rough overview vs. Tau)?

I would say the main weakness is going to be model count. A Ravenwing Bike costs a lot more than a regular Space Marine, but defensively they are about the same against an Ion Cannon. And Bikes may take Invulnerable Saves if they don't want to do anything else, but most of the time they won't be able to risk taking cover. So Ionheads are probably the best weapon. If the Ravenwing player is a purist, you won't need much anti-tank anyway. Your friend is more or less playing the same list that I am. The biggest thing you can do to slow him down is to stay in cover. That will protect you from the weapons on the speeders, and it will mean that he is more likely to crash whenever he charges you.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 14:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If no one asked before - what happened to your Avatar, Khanaris?

And to topic - what is your experience as to initial position of your Ravenwing before the actual opponents Turn? I mean with the Scout rule and such... Do you often stand close to Assault range or within say 20" if you go first?
Old 08 May 2007, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyeti
If no one asked before - what happened to your Avatar, Khanaris?
Today is "Hat Day" in memory of KJ, one of our moderators who passed away this year. :-\ I will likely go back to using Asellas tomorrow.

Quote:
And to topic - what is your experience as to initial position of your Ravenwing before the actual opponents Turn? I mean with the Scout rule and such... Do you often stand close to Assault range or within say 20" if you go first?
My experience at this point is entirely academic. I'm still working on completing that particular army (only Sammael and some Deathwing left to paint, but then all the basing :). But my plan at the moment is to use that scout move to reposition laterally on my side of the table, rather than just using it to move forward. Against Tau I might be more likely to close quickly. But one thing the Ravenwing can pull on you is to deploy on one side of the table, trick you into deploying all of your slow units to cover them, and then combine their Scouts move with first-turn Turbo-boosting to race over to the other side of the board. This will disrupt the firing lanes you had laid out, and allow him to engage your units as they struggle to reposition.

So you need to keep that in mind during deployment. If you are setting up static firebases, make sure that they can cover more than just the obvious lines of approach. If he doesn't care about firing or charging in the first turn, he could be practically anywhere on the table at the beginning of turn two.

But don't invite a first-turn charge by deploying forward in your deployment zone. Sammael alone looks to be a huge threat to Tau armies, as he takes a lot of shooting to bring down and can be a monster in either close-combat or shooting. He is going to be a priority target, as he is more than fast enough to chase down Crisis suits.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 23:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yup, beware the 1st turn charge.
Other than that, just play like normal, don't get charged.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 23:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I played against DA on a 4'x4' field and took... well... no casualties :\

cover is your friend, besides that the low model count makes it REALLY easy to focus your firepower. I was annihilating 1-2 squads a turn :\
Old 08 May 2007, 23:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

stay in transports ALWAYS! any infantry that are outside of a tank are going to be charged if not on the first turn then the second, cover Can help protect you from this but a tank or a high building is really the only place to hide.
don't forget your ion heads and rail rifles, they can take out whole squads at a time, smart missiles are usefull too i take some on all my DF.
anyway good luck and always remember that this is one army you will NEVER outrun or outmaneuver.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 00:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

missile pods and deathrains out the wazzu! Ion cannons are iffy as the turbo bursting bikes still get a save, so just make them take a bunch of saves, because 3+ save really hurts when you hvae ten guys ;D

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 06:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
missile pods and deathrains out the wazzu! Ion cannons are iffy as the turbo bursting bikes still get a save, so just make them take a bunch of saves, because 3+ save really hurts when you hvae ten guys ;D

Cheers!
true but if they're turbo boosting thier not shooting or charging so it really doesnt matter what they wanna do at that point.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris

Cheers!
true but if they're turbo boosting thier not shooting or charging so it really doesnt matter what they wanna do at that point.
It does if they have a teleport homer.

I don't think I've seen a DA army with bikes without one. Fear the termies next to your squishy infantry. Fear them.

I find DW to be a very resilient army. I beat them sometimes, but I never get a crushing victory. Ravenwing is less of a concern, but the whole first turn deep strike thing is really just a pain to deal with, no matter how you do it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote