Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions about frisbees err... I mean drones...
Old 06 May 2007, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Questions about frisbees err... I mean drones...

Hey guys! I haven't been posting, case of a ton of stuff that I have to do (including some rapid modelling converting & painting) so I was inactive for a while... I am not done with even half of what I need but I have to ask some questions ;D

Ok... hear we go ->

I'm setting up a Mechanized army. There will be kroot in it.

Mostly Mechanized core (mounted FW) with support of kroot, pathfinders & suits (both XV8 & XV25).

Rest is still under development. 6 Vespids (5 + leader) will be there (most likely) since I bought the models long ago and they still aren't done... ;D

***http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=44090.0
I asked hear, no one responded (don't bother post in there , topic is old)***

1st Question ->

I have some Gun drones and I am pretty confident that I can convert them to the Sniper drones and I am also confident that with some tricks I can make a scratch built spotter...

SO... I have 6 free drones and possibly 1 FW that will take the duty of the spotter, (after some overhaul)...

Question is -> Should I make one sniper drone squad and then I'll be left with 5 gun drones (3 unpainted, 2 painted long time ago) OR Don't bother and have 8 Gun Drone squad.

I need a good tactical advise hear.

2nd Question ->

Marker drones... I have two now, do they worth the points??? I they cost 30(!) points each, that is a stealth suit!

Should I bother with them at all or Use em for scrap??? Anyone uses them? Plz some advise hear would be nice...

3rd Question ->

I seem to prefer the fast attack in my army. And It's looks like I am running out of slots... 1st slot is set for pathfinders and it is not a subject to change. 2nd is somewhat set for Vespids, but I Also Like piranha and they should be cool to model... Also I have spare drones and I can make a gun drone squad...

Question is -> How efficient Drones are? I see they can re-roll miss but with BS 2... Also they got deep strike and jet packs... So R these guys worth the points and the fast attack slot???

------------------------------------------------->
**Note** I almost have no Heavy support and Fast attack is important to me. (I may be will get Sky Ray or HH soon may be) Soooo.... I was think incorporating Snipers in my Airborn cavalry so I would really like some impute...
------------------------------------------------->

Thanx In advance!

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 23:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: Questions about frisbees err... I mean drones...

ANSWER #1:
The problem with Gun drones is that they have a bitty points cost, but those Fast Attack slots would be better spent on a Piranha or some Stingwings. If you think you can convert them, go for it. The large antenna that comes with the Devilfish sprue should do nicely for a Rail Rifle if properly trimmed, with shaped sprue on a burst cannon ammo drum for the stabilizers.

Unfortunately, Tau infantry have almost no access to heavy weapons. While the team DOES take up a Heavy Support slot and is Non-scoring, 4/5 times it will make back it's points in kills.

ANSWER #2:
The high expense of the marker drone is a SIGNIFICANT restriction. However, I've made some decent use out of them with Infiltrating stealth suit teams, getting a few markerlights within almost-guaranteed range turn 1.
The thing to be considered with markerlights is that pathfinders are cheaper, but they die much easier. Having all those lights in one spot (even with just four pathfinders) is a huge threat, and any player worth his salt will target pathfinder squads ASAP. With the marker drones not only do you free up that Fast Attack slot, but you greatly enhance the survivability, and the likelyhood that the markerlights will still be around turns 4-6. You do have to figure out what works best for you, however.

ANSWER #3:
TAKE PIRANHA'S WITH FUSION BLASTERS NOW!!! If you don't have any significant heavy support those big AV13+ tanks are going to eat your Mech-force alive. Helios(TL-Fusion Blasters) Crisis suits will also fill this role, but you run a much greater risk of losing them if your deep-strike roll lands you too close, or too far. Definately load up on seekers and markerlights if you're going up against light-medium armor.
As for the drones, as long as you aren't fighting Chaos, you have the force-org space, and you can flank them with some markerlight support they are definately worthwhile. Three markerlight hits will give that squad Twin-linked BS3, and apply -2 to the target's pinning test!
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I love the marquer drone. I put it with my pathfinders to improve their BS to shoot acuratly with the rail rifle and shoot their Markerlight more efficiently. Since my pathfinder team is already expensive, why not make it worth protecting!?

I also love my gun drones. I run a squad of 6 (because that's all I have, not counting the 2 on my Devilfish). If I had more, I'd use them too. They can keep up with the XV8 and Devilfish, and the twin linked pulse carbine is great to put some fire downrange.

Since the drones are so fast and people tend to ignore them to value more juicy troops, I often manage to send them flanking and biting the side or rear of my ennemy. They are also good at pinning low Ld Units.
Old 07 May 2007, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Answer # 1: Depends. How often do you face MEQ's, and do you really want to use a heavy slot just to kill them? I'm personally against the idea, but that's just me. many people have found sniper drones to be a very useful choice.

Answer # 2: Marker drones are good, but only when placed with static units- pathfinders and broadsides work really well for this, as they won't be moving all that much, and they generally are placed to command lanes of fire anyways.

Answer # 3: Drone squadrons are an excellent harassment unit. The ability to send a cheap, fast squad racing across the table to draw off assaulters should not be underestimated. The chance to deepstrike behind a transport and open fire on the weak rear armor is also something that comes as a total surprise to most opponents, and can gain back the points spent on a drone squad really quickly.

Addendum: please proofread your posts more carefully. The spelling and grammar mistakes are rather offsetting, and make it harder to understand the point of some of these questions.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox_111
I love the marquer drone. I put it with my pathfinders to improve their BS to shoot acuratly with the rail rifle and shoot their Markerlight more efficiently. Since my pathfinder team is already expensive, why not make it worth protecting!?
***Side note... U DO know that it is illegal??? Marker light hit probability can not be boosted by using other marker lights!!! even from other squads. (I think Sky ray with Targeting Array have BS4 marker lights, not sure though...)

***Second Side note-> Kiznti I'll assume U did not know that I am a foreigner, and have a dyslexia, AND use spellcheck EVERY TIME... Now, I am NOT being hostile, and since u most likely didn't knew that, I will not get angry at all. That is because u probably didn't know...

Now for my questions...

1st one

As I mentioned, I rely on my Fast attack more then on Heavy support. That is why I though about Snipers... Would it be possible (both technically & fluff wise) to maintain full mechanized status and use the snipers?

2nd well Yehh freeing up fast attack is good, BUT path finders are just a ton of fun to model... Marker drones can be attached to them but it will not boost their own and 60 points for 2 hits? Seems too much... In static army they would find a better use I suppose...

3rd The fast attack places seems to be the problem for me... I'll look in to that... May be I'll give em to some suits (BTW drones in suits will increase squad number or not? -> Can or can not 1 suit and 2 drones be driven to half strenght?

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 07 May 2007, 02:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox_111
I love the marker drone. I put it with my pathfinders to improve their BS to shoot accurately with the rail rifle and shoot their Markerlight more efficiently. Since my pathfinder team is already expensive, why not make it worth protecting!?
This is wrong. It specifically states int he armoury that Markerlight hits may not benefit from other Markerlights. (sorry to go off-topic here)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 03:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
ANSWER #1:
The problem with Gun drones is that they have a bitty points cost, but those Fast Attack slots would be better spent on a Piranha or some Stingwings.
Why would stingwings always be better than drones? I mean, given the point difference, the only thing the vespids are more efficient at is killing MEQs outside of cover, really.

Quote:
If you think you can convert them, go for it. The large antenna that comes with the Devilfish sprue should do nicely for a Rail Rifle if properly trimmed, with shaped sprue on a burst cannon ammo drum for the stabilizers.
Id personally suggest using pulse rifles with a bit of creativity. You could probably mimic the stabilizers with a bit of plasticard and stuff, too. The spotter is really just a kneeling FW with that big controller thing...IMO, it doesn't look all that great, you could certainly do a conversion from the kneeling FW model, just give him something suitably controllerish.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Tau infantry have almost no access to heavy weapons. While the team DOES take up a Heavy Support slot and is Non-scoring, 4/5 times it will make back it's points in kills.
Also a MEQ killer unfortunately. Ok against them, but I wouldnt bother against, say, guard or deathwing. Against marines, a sniper team will kill an average of 9.15 marines over the course of the game, assuming it has a clear shot every turn. Thats a decent pointwise return...but the problem is, they are a highly immobile unit. It's very common for opponents to simply avoid them. The stealth field is great, but if something does get close, they go down terribly fast. Overall, they're interesting...but I'd only run them if I know Im going to be playing without much terrain.

Quote:
ANSWER #2:
The high expense of the marker drone is a SIGNIFICANT restriction. However, I've made some decent use out of them with Infiltrating stealth suit teams, getting a few markerlights within almost-guaranteed range turn 1.
The thing to be considered with markerlights is that pathfinders are cheaper, but they die much easier. Having all those lights in one spot (even with just four pathfinders) is a huge threat, and any player worth his salt will target pathfinder squads ASAP. With the marker drones not only do you free up that Fast Attack slot, but you greatly enhance the survivability, and the likelyhood that the markerlights will still be around turns 4-6. You do have to figure out what works best for you, however.
Never, every run any form of markerlight other than pathfinders(and sniper drones). They have issues of their own, sure, but they at least have potential. Every other form of ML is significantly more expensive. They just dont pay off.

Quote:
ANSWER #3:
TAKE PIRANHA'S WITH FUSION BLASTERS NOW!!! If you don't have any significant heavy support those big AV13+ tanks are going to eat your Mech-force alive. Helios(TL-Fusion Blasters) Crisis suits will also fill this role, but you run a much greater risk of losing them if your deep-strike roll lands you too close, or too far. Definately load up on seekers and markerlights if you're going up against light-medium armor.
As for the drones, as long as you aren't fighting Chaos, you have the force-org space, and you can flank them with some markerlight support they are definately worthwhile. Three markerlight hits will give that squad Twin-linked BS3, and apply -2 to the target's pinning test!
Applying points to BS/negating cover saves is more efficient than pinning against nearly all targets. Chaos is mostly fearless(yes, pinning deamons is good, but you CANNOT modify instability checks), SMs generally have Ld 9/10 across the board, IG ...yknow, Im going to just make this a seperate post.

Don't sweat the gun drones much. You'll get them as a bonus with almost everything you purchase. Play with em a bit, see how you feel about em. Small units, like off devilfish, are fun for harassment and the like, as anything that fires at them is likely vastly overkilling em.

Note that if you have a static army(likely, since you are into sniper drones, a very static unit), and run team leads in your FWs for the bonus LD anyhow, adding two gun drones can be quite handy. Makes your unit slightly larger and less likely to break, and you actually get two faster, abeit weak attacks off in CC. 2 points less than if you buy them individually, too. =P

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 04:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Note that if you have a static army(likely, since you are into sniper drones, a very static unit)
..... :

Quote:
Mostly Mechanized core (mounted FW) with support of kroot, pathfinders & suits (both XV8 & XV25).
Quote:
As I mentioned, I rely on my Fast attack more then on Heavy support. That is why I though about Snipers... Would it be possible (both technically & fluff wise) to maintain full mechanized status and use the snipers?

Again guys, I am definitely running Mechanized army. Mounted FW core will be there.
So back to the question, I do not want hybrid, I'm running air cavalry (trying ;D )
So can Sniper drones fit in it both tactically and fluff wise?

About converting, let me worry about that I'm modeling lot of new FW, pathfinders and others and most of them are conversions and sometimes complete overhauls (hey lack of money makes u think ;D )so If I'm getting Snipers I know how to convert em. I saw Pulse rifle variation, thats the easiest one, since I got spare ones. We'll see...

Thanx for impute everyone, I think I'm dropping idea of gun drone squad as soon as I'll get piranhas... If I'll get em of course. For now Pathfinders are definitely getting one, and vespids will probably get the other... (hey I'm not throwing out 6 models just because GW made em weird ;D)

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 07 May 2007, 05:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Tyndmyr, as always, with genius assesments. ;D

You are right about the stingwings. Higher base cost, lower save, and very specialized weapon does make their uses limited (whereas the deep-strike capable gun drones can be used to harrass, assault, attack enemy rear armor, and suppress, the stingwings are much more of a one-shot pony). Good for securing objectives, but difficult to use.

I would like to add that Skyrays make for an excellent markerlight post, as well. For the cost of two sniper teams you get an AV13 skimmer tank with two BS4 markerlights, seeker loadouts, and additional defensive weapons/systems. Use is somewhat limited, but can be used very well to pick out forward units from outside the LOS of heavy weapons teams.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 09:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

In the past I have had great success with embedding my commander within a 96pts squad of drones. For the points cost its worth the extra wounds even though you lose your IC status. Slap some other defensive kit on your Shas'el and although the total cost is high, for those mid level games your opponent will find it almost impossible to take the unit down by shooting.

My Shas'el commander layout is;
-AFP
-Missilepod
-Shield Generator
-H/w multitracker

This unit is good for just moving about killing lowsave troops or for popping the odd transport in the correct position.

Recently I have got board with running the same old XV-8s and now I have a preference for tooled up stealthsuits, which has created the fluff for my TOEF. Small elite units of fire warriors backed up by a two man crisis squad (Tank hunters; T/L Fusion Blaster and Target lock/ Fusion Blaster and Flamer and Target Array, H/w Multitracker, H/w drone controller). No Broadsides or Hammerhead or Skyray. But two squads of Piranha, the other fast attack slot I use for drones, but it depends on the match wheather I spend the points on them.

On the subject of Marker Drones, I have found limited usefulness when placing one within a squad of pathfinders at the 'back' of my lines. Because I run a set of 'sniper' pathfinders that extra BS comes in very useful. You give the teamleader a Target Lock and you can hit two separate targets with a set of markerlights. One Target will be one of opportunity, fired by the team leader. The rest of the squad however takes advantage of lighting up an enemy squad for obliteration. You put some sniper shots down range and then your small firewarrior teams shoot making them very effective. Now you cannot boast the BS of the Marker Drones or the BS of your pathfinders using Makerlights, but that doesn't matter much in my opinion.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote