Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerheads firing arcs?
Old 06 May 2007, 08:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Hammerheads firing arcs?

So we all know that the HH model has a turret. Now I have flipped through the 40k rulebook and there is no mention of turrets anywhere (that I can find...not being absolute) so the questions are,

1) what is the shooting arc of the railgun/ion cannon,

2) What happens when the tank is immobilized do you still have a 360 arc of fire?

3) What if I model all my weapons on vehicles i turrets on top of the hull do they get 360 arcs? Imagine landraiders/leman russes and anything with side sponsons being modeled on top of the tank in ball 360 degree turrets. You immobilize that landraider/russ and think you can keep out of its arc but its ball turret weapon mounts still see 360 degrees.

Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 12:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Not much response in Eldar room so I will ask here about our Hammerheads

1) Turrets always have a 360 arc.

2) If you get immobilized then, your turret will be fine until you get a second immobilzed result.

3) Landraider's Heavy bolter turret is only 180, since it only move/see 180 since part of the hull is right behind it.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 12:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Not much response in Eldar room so I will ask here about our Hammerheads

1) Correct.
2) Partially right. Under 3rd ed. rules it worked like that, but now turrets can always turn, regardless of the number of immobilised results.
3) In the rulebook it provides explanations of Fire Arcs. When purchasing vehicle weapons it tells you where they go so you cannot model everything on a turret.
Eg: Land Raider has 2 Sponson mounted Twin-linked Lascannons and a Hull mounted Twin-linked Heavy Bolter.
Eg: A Hammerhead must purchase a Turret Mounted Primary Weapon and may purchase a Hull mounted secondary weapon.

Note: Pintle mounted weapons are treated as being mounted on a turret.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 13:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

1) already answered

2) As most Tau ships go over 6" when moving an immobilized role will destroy it. If you were moving slowly the skimmer lands, and the turret can still move. A second immobilized role will then count as vehicle destroyed.

3) I'm sure you could model them that way, but good luck finding someone that wants to play you. I would consider it cheating. I'm not sure about Imperial tanks, but I imagine it says side mounted sponson weapons, and not put them where ever you want.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

doesnt a second immobolizedcount it as weapon destroyed?

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
doesnt a second immobolizedcount it as weapon destroyed?
Yes it does, but if there are no more primary weapns it is destroyed.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 17:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. 360 degrees
2. 360 degrees
3. Theoretically you can do it and get away with it on most weapons. However sponsors, fixed weapons, and walker weapons have a fixed LOS (BGB pg.64), do don't bother with such weapons. And to add to that, know full well that doing this is outright cheesy, and I'd personally call it cheating. Don't expect to make a lot of friends doing this.
Old 06 May 2007, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hammerheads firing arcs?

A) I am not going to do though GW encourages modeling and thus I see many extended barrels or guns mounted in odd places.

B) There is no mention of turrets in the book thus I was curious as I remember in the long before times you could immobilize the turret in its last firing arc

But thanks for the clarification
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 18:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Note the front weapons on a HH have 360 degrees since the hammerhead can tilt anyway it wants to.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 18:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Note the front weapons on a HH have 360 degrees since the hammerhead can tilt anyway it wants to.
Actually, yes. The rulebook describes that the firing arc of a weapon is wherever it could be aimed from it's mounting. Since the skimmer is flat-bottomed and the weapons project below the hull (and have a 360" rotational capacity), those weapons theoretically could fire forward, backwards, sideways or any combination of directions (especially if you have a Target Lock).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote