Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas
Old 06 May 2007, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Piranhas

I am new to the forum but have been on quite often reading about suggestions from all of you, (thanks), but I haven't read to many gamers using the Piranhas. I have a 3 Piranha squad and really haven't been impressed. Their range is nothing to brag about, and it just seems they take up points. The only time I was successful was when I attached some seeker missiles to them and got three hits and wounds, but again for three of them it just doesn't seem like the points are worth it. Any suggestions on how to use them? thanks
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 06:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Piranhas

Ask Isfarel, he loves the things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 06:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Speaking of Israfel's tactica here it is.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 16:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea, careful though, Israfel might talk your ear off. ;D Just joking, he's come up with some great and unique tactics.

I use three Pirhannas, all with FB's, in one unit of two and one of one (So I can have a DS'ing Drone Squad, great for making auto-assaulters run away from you 8) )

First of all, are you using Burst Cannons or Fusion Blasters? IMO, You should ALWAYS use fusion blasters. Our army has more than enough S5/AP5 Firepower.

Second, what are you using your Pirhana for? THey are pretty cheap, so they can be used in the "Skimmer Wall" Tactic though they are open topped. What they really excel at, though, is 24"ing around the edge of the board and nailing artillery units. Ever played a 3-Basilisk IG army? You'll want either Fusion Blaster Pirhana to run back there and take them out or DS'ing FB Suits. As it turns out, because of the reserves rules, Pirhana are more effective at dispatching them at about the same price.

Another thing your cool-looking Pirhana are great at is taking objectives. I know some people don't play objective games, but that 24" move range in your last turn is excellent for zipping up to and taking an objective. With the 12"/6" range of your Fusion Blasters, it gives your Pirhana a 24" one-turn effective range and a 48" two-turn effective range (Zip 24", Zip 12", fire 12").

You should really read Israfel's tactics. They are both well written and informative.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 17:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have two with Burst Cannons and one with a Fusion Blaster, but after reading your ideas I can see why it is a good idea to have Fusion Blasters. I haven't really played against a 3-Basilisk IG Army yet. Most of the time it is against Necrons, Space Marines, Tyranids, Orks, and Eldar. Usually they don't field a lot of Armour. The space marines have their assault troops, the necron with their warriors who regenerate, and the tyranids with all their monstirous creatures.
I will have to read what Isfarel writes. How do I find his tactics? Thanks for anymore help with this question.
Old 06 May 2007, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Vash has dropped a link to Israfel's tactica in his post.

But welcome to the brotherhood! I'm sure you'll become a piranha lover in no time. They're the most maneuverable unit in a fast army, and it's always best to use them aggressively. If you're too cautious because of the AV 11, they become useless. Again, FBs are always the way to go.
Zip these skimmers behind cover, they have a 24" move, after all. And an effective 18" melta range (12" move +6" melta). A squadron does really well against Tyranid MCs, they're probably the best to face them off against. Though, if you don't see a lot of armour in games, it may be a good idea to drop them for some more firepower. They are really an anti-tank/MC baby.
Try fielding them in a unit of 2 and a unit of 1. Drop behind cover and then leap out as a Carnifex approaches. Nail it with as many of those shots (Remember, you have a 24" effectiveness here, melta doesn't work against MCs) as you can, and leave your suits to finish it.
Old 06 May 2007, 19:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love my baby fishes. But to start off with I wouldn't take 3 of them. Drop the number to 2 for a few reasons and stay away from fusion blasters

1) You will always remain a scoring unit unless completely destroyed with a unit strength of 2. With a unit strength of 3 you cease being a scoring unit the moment you hit 1 model and thus are giving VP to your opponent of at least 50%

2) I find that the 12" range of fusion blasters make you put piranhas into positions where they shouldn't be and thus you try to do more with them then their durability can withstand. The 18" range of burst cannons keeps hte points cheap and changes how you use them.

Personally I run 2 piranhas in my army with each carrying 2 seeker missiles, they cost 160 pts for the squad and so far I have not played a game where they both have been destroyed and they have served me well, with their 24" movement I often zip them for rear shots at an enemy vehicle and launch their seeker missiles into the backs of leman russes, falcon tanks, wave serpents etc.

I then just keep them out of sight sniping with their burst cannons at exposed troops until late game where I turbo boost them again to gain an objective. Their 11 AV front armor makes them immune to anything less then str 5 which is great
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 03:56   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So why not go with two seeker missiles per Piranha? It is only 20 points more.
I can see how useful these Piranhas can be. I will use them more and more.
Old 07 May 2007, 04:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Burst cannons and seekers aren't a bad idea, gives you both the anti-infantry harasser and tank-hunter capabilities. But then again armor-punching power is rare in a Tau army, so equipping them with fusion blasters sounds like a good idea, too. Seekers are also a good idea if you have pathfinders/markerlights in your army.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 04:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just played a 1500 point game with two piranhas, both carrying a seeker and fusion. They zoomed up the enemy lines turn 1, blew a dreadnought, and provided two seeker missiles into the side armor of a whirlwind. The next turn they waxed two bikes in a ravenwing squad and kept my opponent from moving two landspeeders any closer.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote