Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth drones!
Old 04 May 2007, 20:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Stealth drones!

I have recently crunched some numbers (that seems to be what i do) anyway i have found that if you take 3 stealth suits and equip them all with 2 gundrones each i have come up with astonishing numbers. 1 three drones is the same points as one stealth suit

~The stealth suit shoots three shots at 50% accuracy
~Three gun drones shoot at 55% accuracy with pinning.
~The total amount of wounds is 4 more if you take the gun drones. so one wound doesn't take away 3 of your shots.
~The gun drones are more effective if you take them rather then actual stealth suits. or just take 6 suits with 12 drones and you got one hell load of anti infantry.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 20:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Stealth drones!

You also have a very expensive large unit. I believe this has been brought up before and most people agreed that it would be a very unwieldy unit to try and use. With 18 models stealth or no it would be hard to hide and pie plates would be a serious threat. It would be a juicy point rich target worth taking the stealth check to shoot at specially since stealths are not that durable all things considered
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

i would never take that many. i would take a total of 9. 3 with 2 drones each. yes it would be harder to hide but stealth suits take cover in range from there opponent.

Yes it is slightly risker if they have blast weapons on the account that if they kill a stealth suit the gun drones die. yet lets say they where being fired at. and they can see them. instead of one wound taking out a burst cannon you can now move that to a gun drone take out only a carbine. spreading your points around.
being stealth suits if they shoot at it with an ordinance blast. 2/3s of the time statistically it will move 7 inches if not more away from the target.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it's an interesting Mathhammer idea, but I've yet to see it put to use in practicality. If you try it, tell me how it goes.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I actually have taken this unit. In fact, I've done full-size Swarm-suit Teams (300 points base), and have found them utterly devestating. Most armies don't bother taking pie-plate weaponry against Tau: their high point models (namely crisis suits) take up so much space that it's usually a point waste. Additionally, that 300 point unit (same cost as 3 ten-man FW) can JSJ, is protected from small arms fire by stealth (and if you avoid being close to the big guns, those too) I usually just hold the models off to the side during set up, letting him see all the models in little clusters. Then I drop all of them as a single infiltrated unit 20-22" away from my target. Jaws drop at the sight of it. > That, and it is the most efficient markerlight-use of any unit in the tau force.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 00:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

3 "mega-squads" are roughly the same as 4 full FW squads (I need to do some mathhammer to remember though).

They are utterly devastating as they usually have the first-turn shot.

However, they are considered cheesy.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 01:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

of course the 300 point unit is considered cheesy. Tau have had that label since their inception, so I really wouldn't care.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
3 "mega-squads" are roughly the same as 4 full FW squads (I need to do some mathhammer to remember though).

They are utterly devastating as they usually have the first-turn shot.

However, they are considered cheesy.
A megasquad like this cranks out 30 pulse rounds a turn. Thus, three of them would be the equivelent of 90 FWs, assuming the FWs are out of rapid fire range. Ive actually played with them like this, and while yes, they have a rather large footprint...it's not THAT huge. An Etherial with full honor guard and drones is almost the same size.

As a matter of practicality though, I keep them away from pie plates as much as possible, and run two shield drones in there...slightly less firepower, but its great for the lascannon shots that do manage to hit it. Also, this unit makes much better use of markerlight hits than most. Why buff 12 shots when you can buff 30?

I will gladly run something cheesy, IMO. I have no issues with throwing gobs of suits at the board...I already do it with tanks, why stop there? I played around with an army based entirely around stealth suits, sniper teams, and infiltrating/deepstriking units. Basically, the idea is to deny the enemy any targets for the first coupla turns, minimum. Its....fun anyhow. Probably not the most effective army around, but it's interesting to try.

Glad to see people are realizing just how terrific stealth suits can be. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Meh, if they start complaining about the cheddar, show them the price tag. Anything that costs 300 points and is in an elites slot had better be good.

And with only a 3+ save, majority 4+, they're going to be quite squishy.

They still say it smells of cheddar, ask what they think of when they hear "cheese." Odds are it's the idea of a "Khorne Berserker recklessly charging instead of contesting a table corner" in which case, you should really question if that particular list is the best choice.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 05:39   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So how can each individual Stealth Suit purchase two drones. I looked everywhere in the codex and can't find anything. I know the Stealth Team Leader can but how about the other's in the squad. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am fairly new and am trying to understand everything. Thanks
brightsword24 is offline   Reply With Quote