Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights and Cover saves and Eldar Pathfinders
Old 04 May 2007, 03:40   #1 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Default Markerlights and Cover saves and Eldar Pathfinders

I got asked an intresting question by my friend today. He said that eldar pathfinders (the upgraded version of rangers) get +2 to there cover save.
So in theory if you put them in a fortification (3+ cover save) there save would become 1+.

Now a roll of a 1 allways means you fail but my question is if you hit them with markerlights and you removed a token to reduce there cover save would it then become a 2+ which is effectively the same as a 1+? Or can you even get 1+?

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Markerlights and Cover saves and Eldar Pathfinders

It specifically states that the save may never be better than 2+ in the current (4th ed.) Eldar codex.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

U can't have +1, - never ever. I am a n00b but I think its a rule.

As far as I remember 2+ of Eldar pathfinders can be obtained by sitting in a forest (4+) anything further (bunker 3+) will still give 2+ no immortality ;D

Heh I have a better questions about cover.

1st When those guys sit in an open. They get cover save 4+ (ranger 5+). When they get "lightened up" by marker lights can they lose that save??? And the original question-> Will it take two marker lights or one to reduce cover up to 3+ if pathfinders are sitting in the bunker?

2nd As I can Understand its a cover save, sooo... CAN it be simply ignored? I though the AFP and Flamers would be a very pleasent surprised for those slackers... ;D

Ok thanx in advance. Now when it got me thinking, my new Crisis suit with AFP start looking pretty impressive.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 09:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

marker lights and flamers have the usual effect on cover even if they are shooting at eldar pathfinders. so in short yes markerlights, flamers and airbursting fragmentation projectors are your best friends when facing eldar pathfinders.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 10:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Ignore cover weapons are lethal against pathfinders.

I had mine, with a 2+ cover save in a building, and my opponent hit them with everything he had, and couldn't budge them. Then, his room clearence team (5 assault marines, two flamers) got near enough to burn them out. 1 out of 6 survived, because he rolled a dodgy wound roll.

Anything that ignores, or negates, or negatives cover will cream pathfinders.

And markers retain all the normal rules against their special +2 cover save rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 11:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

i had a conversation with an eldar player before. we had a great time disscussing who would win in a fire fight. my sniper drones or his pathfinders. assuming they are about 36 inches away he gets his 2+ cover save and i get my stealth. hehehe he has to roll 2 6's to even begin to fire at me. he just needs to roll a 1 to get past his save.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Would they happen to be even points? snipers get 3 squads per slot...and Markerlights don't have to roll for cover, so it may be rather bad for his saves if 2 ML's hit(average). Suddenly that 2+ turned into a 5+ with 4(again, averages) AP3 weaponry coming in.

and for him...only being able to hit 1 of 36 times, he'll take out...a squad, if that. His fault for questioning our Frisbees of Death.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

frisbees of death with real guns now

that and now Tau have good 'snipers' so to speak

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 22:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

The maximum a cover save can be is a 2+. Any further modifiers caused by enemy units take effect against the 2+ value, the extra point of cover protection being lost. Therefore, when markerlighting Eldar Pathfinders there is no difference between them being in a bunker or in ruins, and both saves will degrade at the same rate.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 23:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I think the OP may have been asking if it followed the same rules as the BS 6 for modifiers(supposedly, if you get a -1 modifier, it's still hitting on a 2+. In this case, they have a "modified cover save" of 1+. Since a 1 auto-fails, it's treated functionally as a 2+ save.). And when the cover save is reduced, is it a 2+ save still, or is it a 3+ save?

If that were the question, I would be in favor of the save staying at a 2+ since it is technically a 1+ save, and the pathfinders are supposed to be better at hiding than the Rangers.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote