Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategies against Eldar
Old 04 May 2007, 01:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Strategies against Eldar

so i'm involved in a campaign game. let me give you a few parameters. the army limit is roughly 500 (+ or - points based on territories held). other than that, only 55 points of wargear (at the moment) for the whole army. the guy's probably going to try to field some of his tanks and go light on infantry (the only real requirement is that you have at least 1 basic troop choice).

anyway, at the moment my idea for an army list is:

3x 12 fire warriors with a shas'ui and markerlights (390)

1x crisis suit - armaments still up in the air, but i'm thinking hardwired drone controller and twin-linked missile pods

1x devil fish with decoy launcher and the drones

other than that, my options are pretty limited. i can take drones, i can take a small (3 figures) team of stealth, or i can take a squad of kroot (12 man team). because of the territories i posess, i can go up to 590 points. any recommendations or thoughts on this list? also, any advice on tactics?
justamusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 01:40   #2 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Strategies against Eldar

At 500 points he can easily feild a falcon (or two if he is evil). Your only unit that can hurt those is the deathrain suit. That could hurt.

Also I think your points are wrong for the firewarrior teams. I work it at 420 points for that configuration

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drop the markerlights. That'll save you a ton of points, and they're not hot in low point games.

If you're woried about vehicles, you're very light on heavy weaponry. Pick up some of that. A broadside is really going to be handy here, as he could bust out a few different options that would torch your devilfish quickly. Nothing wrong with a crisis suit too...but having only one AT model leaves him as a huuuge target. After all, if he dies, you're probably screwed unless you have another way to handle armor.

The broadside doubles as a great way to deal with bikes if he brings those out too.

Id suggest stealth teams/ionhead if you need to pad out more.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Suggestion number 1: Take seeker missiles. If you are using markerlights, those seekers will be a grav-tank's worst nightmare. Otherwise just drop the markers.

2: Instead of drones, take a shas'el with TL-MP and a Target Array. TL-BS 5 shots will DESTROY whatever you target, and it only runs a measily 78 points for a balanced anti-infantry and anti-light tank weapons platform.

3: take the drones and kroot. With the restricted wargear it's doubtful that they will have plasma grenades, and even 12 kroot (84 points) will shred those 4+ and 5+ save units if the kroot get to strike first from Cover. The drones are just nice because of the pinning combined with JSJ, and you can deep-strike to hit rear armor.

Here's a list that may work for you:

Shas'el Deathrain+: 78 points

2x 10 Fire warriors W/shas'ui, Markerlight: 120 each, 240 total

Devilfish with MT, Decoy, 2 seekers: 115 points

12 kroot: 84 points

6 gun drones: 48 points

All together, this nets about 589 points, and will allow you to take on most of what he has. Use independant character to protect your 'suit, light up with those markerlights on his tanks and infantry squads to drop pinning leadership or boost accuracy OR volley those seekers, and you should be fine.

"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Suggestion number 1: Take seeker missiles. If you are using markerlights, those seekers will be a grav-tank's worst nightmare. Otherwise just drop the markers.
Bad idea. It add his heavy firepower to the DF, the most likely target for the tank, as the suit will not be a threat to it on turn 1. Dropping em is good, though.

Quote:
2: Instead of drones, take a shas'el with TL-MP and a Target Array. TL-BS 5 shots will DESTROY whatever you target, and it only runs a measily 78 points for a balanced anti-infantry and anti-light tank weapons platform.
TLing a BS 5 weapon is mostly irrelevant. Taking a HW MT and a plasma rifle instead would only boost the points to 97, and you'd have more hits on average. It'd be especially good at doubling up for anti-bike duty or shredding a few infantry.

[quote[3: take the drones and kroot. With the restricted wargear it's doubtful that they will have plasma grenades, and even 12 kroot (84 points) will shred those 4+ and 5+ save units if the kroot get to strike first from Cover. The drones are just nice because of the pinning combined with JSJ, and you can deep-strike to hit rear armor.[/quote]

Kroot are solid...I mean, the kroot will in all likelihood die against eldar CC, but they should inflict a few wounds via shooting/melee, and serve as a nice speedbump. Im less thrilled about the drones, as eldar has solid shooting, so they'll probably die off in a heartbeat if they're not behind something...and the odds of them doing anything to rear armor is pretty minimal. First off, 2/3rds chance of scattering, and even the side on a falcon is 12, so landing more than minimally off target is probably going to result in a wasted firing turn, followed by brutal death.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 04 May 2007, 02:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I gotta agree with you on the Crisis suit, Tyndmyr. That little bump in points could make a huge difference tactically. I would personally take a cyclic ion blaster, though, as it will add more anti-infantry capability while still being able to decimate those bikes (I don't know for sure what their stats are, but T4 with a 4+ save means that on a 5 or a 6 to wound, the bike dies with no save)
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 02:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

500 points and only one FW team needed? This sounds like fun...

Use a full stealth team with FBs. They can infiltrate and take out vehicles and troops very effectively. The FWs can operate effectively as a firebase that shoots anything that gets close. The commander might want to DS depending on how you feel about that; he does gain a serious advantage in terrain for that though...

So my suggestion would be:

2x 10 FWs: 200 pts.

6x Stealth suits + 2 FBs: 184pts

Commander + MP + PR + MT + 2HW Gun Drones: 132pts

1x Broadside + MT: 75pts

591 pts. 1 over... so cut something (I suggest a Fire Warrior.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 02:58   #8 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
500 points and only one FW team needed? This sounds like fun...

Use a full stealth team with FBs. They can infiltrate and take out vehicles and troops very effectively. The FWs can operate effectively as a firebase that shoots anything that gets close. The commander might want to DS depending on how you feel about that; he does gain a serious advantage in terrain for that though...

So my suggestion would be:

2x 10 FWs: 200 pts.

6x Stealth suits + 2 FBs: 184pts

Commander + MP + PR + MT + 2HW Gun Drones: 132pts

1x Broadside + MT: 75pts

591 pts. 1 over... so cut something (I suggest a Fire Warrior.
Not bad but I would cut the gun drones on the commander and keep his Independant Character status. Maybe give the broadside A.S.S or a TA, for more reliable tank hunting. Also split the stealth team into two teams.
Just my two cents.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

36 FWs is too much, and really cuts down on your list of options. It's sort of overkill against anything infantry, and leaves the rest of your army with nothing to counter anything else. I'm assuming that your going to run 12 FWs in your DF, and I wouldn't change that, though you might only need 10, and I'd put a multi tracker on the DF instead of the Decoy Launcher. You can have your HQ crisis suit follow the DF and use it to keep himself from being shot. IMO you should use the HQ battlesuit as either a Fireknife, or a deathrain, both of which will provide you with some ability to deal with Eldar Skimmers, and if need be, the ability to kill off anything with a good armor save. And with a base toughness of 3, you should be able to instakill any character he has too.

If you have the models I'd drop 4 FW's from the 2 other units and grab a unit of 10 kroot. Keep them behind your firing line. Eldar are fast, and their likely going to go for the assault. With 16-24 FWs on the ground your not going to be able to avoid that. So keep the kroot as a counter assault unit to keep your firing line from being wiped out. The FW's shooting should be enough to dwindle down any eldar stupid enough to come straight at you, so the kroot should be able to manage them.

The Broadside is a bad idea, if your opponent does take a Falcon (or any other eldar tank) your BS is going to be the first thing that dies, guaranteed.

Having said that, your anti-skimmer needs are still there as I woulden't want to count on just your HQ to get the job done. If you can find a way, I'd try to fit in another deathrain as that's probably going to be you cheapest choice for anti-skimmer firepower.
Old 04 May 2007, 04:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, CIB is a good option as well...its not as hot at popping armor, but its definitely great at everything else. My main reason for choosing plas instead was for armor killing/dealing with a wraithlord if it happens to appear. It really depends on what he's likely to run though.

Personally, my list would be as follows:
6x FW mounted in a DF w Decoy.
2x Ionhead w decoy/MT
1x Railhead w decoy/MT

Total: 550

Add on more toys or firewarriors until you hit the limit, and watch as he struggles to deal with armor.